Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you plump up raisins before baking?

Posted by aptosca (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 19:56

I usually don't, but the other day I was flashing back to when I use to bake with my Mom. She always poured hot water over the raisins and let them sit for a few minutes. Then she would drain them, pat them dry and add them to whatever she was baking. I did that the other day when I made sweet potato muffins and it sure made a big difference. Even DH and DS commented on how great the raisins tasted in the muffins. So I will have to remember to do that from now on.
Clare

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you plump up raisins before baking?

I always plump them too. Just like Mom used to do.
Di

o

I like to plump mine too...along with raisins, I do the same with dried cherries and dried blueberries. Sure makes a difference.

Nancy

o

I always plump mine too. Steep in hot water and ring dry on terry towels. Mom taught me that!

o

Plumping/hydrating dried blueberries for muffins is my discovery lately - makes the best blueberry muffins. Hydrating or not makes a big difference in the end product.

o

For my Christmas baking, I like to plump my raisins in brandy.

o

Well that is one technique I never have to worry about. LOL!

Ann

o

Yup, sure do. I also love raisins in my oatmeal and always use the old fashioned kind. I like my oatmeal pretty 'rare', so I always cook/plump the raisins in the water for a few before I add the oatmeal. Ok.. now I want some. Been craving oatmeal for a few days and haven't made it yet. Silly.

o

When I baked buns and scones I also plumped mine in brandy or warm rum.

SharonCb

o

Ann T - I have to ask - why is that a technique you don't have to worry about? Do you not like raisins?
Clare

o

You guessed it Clare. I dislike raisins about as much as I dislike carrots.

Ann

o

Lol Ann you and my mom, she despises raisins. She'd sooner eat a chocolate covered cockroach! Even craisins make her nauseous.

I've never 'plumped' a raisin - sounds fairly lascivious ;-). Most recipes I've used them in call for them to accompany the dry ingrdients before adding liquids. The drys seem to collect in the wrinkles [they look like brain sulci to me] and maybe that dry attracts the fat liquids ala the roux process? because the raisins in my recipes are never tough. But heck I may have to try it out! Plump on!

BTW I like goldens over regular or reds personally.

o

I plump them in wine - generally a Burgundy for dark raisins, but brandy or rum might be good as well. I've never plumped them in water. I use white wine for light raisins - either Sauvignon Blanc or Chablis, but Chenin Blanc would work also.

Lars

o

Even the golden (my personal favorite as well) are much better plump.

Moni

o

I'm with Ann on this one unless I'm making cookies for the kids in my group....I'll take her carrots though..LOL! I don't plump them for cookies...just add them to the dough.

David

o

Well, as opposed to David, I ALWAYS plump them for cookies! "Plumped" as in overnight soaking. Love the soft bit of moistness in a nice crisp cookie. And yes, the cookies do still get crisp, even though the raisins are soft. "Unplumped" (is that a word?) raisins always seemed like hard little knots when baked into a cookie. And they don't get that almost burned taste when they've been plumped, either.
Rusty

o

Has anyone plumped them in granola? When I bake them in granola they turn into hard rocks.

o

Chinchette, I make my husband granola, but the dried fruit is always added to the toasted granola. Not baked with it. I toss a combination of raisins, dried cranberries, dried blueberries, etc. to the granola after it comes out of the oven.

Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here