SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spacific_gw

AnnT's amazing bread pudding

spacific
16 years ago

For anyone wanting to have the best ever bread pudding...

This is it. Thank you Ann T. I served it for a party over the holidays. There were so many raves and proclamations, even from those that stated they weren't a bread pudding fan. I used half cream, half milk and on the low end of the sugar range, and for the bread, I was too lazy to cut off the crusts, just tore the pieces in cube size.

Bread And Butter Pudding With Caramel Sauce

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

===========================================

5 or 6 slices of bread

1/2 cup butter

1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar

5 eggs

2 cups cream (Or milk)

vanilla

pinch of salt

Caramel Sauce

1 cup butter

1 cup sugar

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup cream

pinch of salt

2 teaspoons vanilla

NOTE: If you prefer the pudding to have more custard, then use less bread so that all of the custard is not absorbed into the bread when baked.

Cut crusts from bread and spread each slice with butter. (Bread slices can be left whole, or cut into halves, quarters or cubes. Place bread butterd side up in a oven proof dish. (may use any shape dish, or glass loaf pan, cutting bread to fit) Beat the sugar and eggs together and then add the cream, vanilla and

salt.

Pour over bread and allow the bread to absorb. (make be refrigerated at this point and baked later) sprinkle with some white sugar and place dish into a pan of hot water

and bake in a 350 oven for 45 to 1 hour, or until pudding is set and golden.

To make caramel sauce,

bring butter, sugars, cream and salt to a boil and then simmer for 3 or 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add the vanilla.

Comments (22)