SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

What texture should these cookies have?

bbstx
9 years ago

Today, I made Molasses Cookies, recipe below. I have never made this recipe before. Unfortunately, I had to make a substitution. I thought I had sufficent molasses, but I only had 1/4 cup, not the 3/4 called for. In addition to the 1/4 molasses, I substituted 1/4 cup maple syrup and 1/4 cup dark Karo syrup. I don't know if that contributed to the problems below or not.

The cookie dough was very soft. There is no way they could be rolled in the turbinado sugar. I baked a few cookies. After 9 minutes, they were quite gooey and underdone in the center. I baked them for another 3 minutes. They were still soft in the center but I didn't want to over cook them.

I believe that I've read that brown sugar creates the chewy texture in cookies while white sugar makes them crisp. This recipe's only sugar is brown sugar, so I expect a certain amount of chewiness.

These cookies are now cool. The outer edge is crisp while the center is pliable bordering on gooey, but not raw. For this recipe is that appropriate?

Molasses Cookies

INGREDIENTS
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Pinch kosher salt
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup molasses
Turbinado sugar, for coating

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt and set aside.

In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and then the molasses. In thirds, gently mix in the flour mixture until just combined.

Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out the cookie dough into 1-inch balls onto a sheet tray covered with turbinado sugar. Gently toss the dough balls in the sugar, covering them completely. Place the sugar-coated dough balls on another sheet tray and gently squish a little.

Bake for 9 to 10 minutes. Remove the cookies to a rack to cool.

Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks

Recipe courtesy of Anne Burrell, 2012

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County