SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

Critique this recipe please....

lindac
14 years ago

A friend stopped over today....and we got to talking food, and I said I have been meaning to have you guys over during the Holidays and I never got that done, she said, no we owe you and I said no it's my turn....etc etc. LOL!

So she said why don't you come for dinner tomorrow, there is a recipe I have been meaning to try...I asked I'll bring a salad and wine what are you cooking....and she mentioned a bolognese sauce that had a lot of milk and cooked a long time....Is aid that's not bolognese....and we looked on the web.

So I said....tell you what. I'll cook and you bring your gleutin free pasta....

Then I looked up the recipe....and it sounds awful to me....not enough fat to cook the veggies, too much celery and carrots to the 15 oz can of tomatoes, no garlic, no olive oil....and I can't imagine what would happen to that cup of milk after being cooked for 30 minutes and then hit with a cup of dry white wine....ewww! Curds !!

So....tell me if I have no imagination...or not and I will tell you where the recipe came from....someone we all know!!

So I will be making my own version of meat sauce with meatballs...without milk!....don't need a recipe...just a critique of the one posted.

Ingredients:

Makes 4 cups of sauce

* 1 medium onion

* 1 large carrot

* 2 stalks celery

* 1 ounce pancetta, very finely chopped

* 1 pound gound beef (not lean)

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

* pinch allspice

* 1 cup whole milk

* 1 cup dry white wine

* 15 ounces diced tomatoes with their juice

* 1 pound pasta, such as rigatoni

* Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for grating

1. Finely chop onion, carrot, and celery. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven over low heat, cook pancetta until all fat is rendered and pancetta is just beginning to brown. Add chopped vegetables, raise heat to medium, and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and soft.

2. Add ground beef, breaking it up with a spoon, ¼ tsp. (to start) salt, plus pepper and allspice. Cook until meat is brown.

3. Add milk. When it begins to simmer, reduce heat to low and cook at a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally until milk has mostly boiled away, about 30 minutes. Add white wine and cook as with milk, until it has mostly boiled away. Add tomatoes and juice; bring to a simmer. Cover pot, reduce heat to low, and allow sauce to cook very gently at barest simmer, 2½ to 3 hours. Season to taste with remaining salt.

4. Just before sauce is done, bring a pot of water to boil, salt it generously, and boil pasta according to package directions. Drain, mix with a third of sauce, then serve with remaining sauce on top with lots of grated Parmigiano cheese. Makes 4 cups sauce.

Comments (31)