Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Noodles!

Posted by sleevendog (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 18:32

We've been making our own pastas and dumplings and noodles the past few weeks.
Avoiding shopping and using sauces from the summer veggies that are frozen...and sausages
we made recently. A freezer full of seafood.
The last storm, was that tuesday night?, they are all a blur, but i could not sleep...high winds and a skylight
over my bed with branches falling and i live in a forest of large trees...spooky.
We lived within walking distance of a good Thai joint not long ago. I so miss the 'Spicy Noodle with Seafood'.
Wide rice noodles soaking up a rich sauce of soy and spice and nuts and herbs.
A google search it is called a 'drunken noodle'. Origin of the name is all over the place in description.
Kway Teow ~ Steamed Flat Rice Noodles
I just wanted to make them from scratch....
Not an easy recipe to find. I ended up using two ideas and methods.

The batter

1 cup brown rice
2 tbsp tapioca
2 tbsp white corn flour
1 tbsp oil
2 1/2 cups hot water

Soak ingredients in a covered bowl. First batch i soaked overnight. 2nd batch i used very hot
water and soaked for 2 hours. This requires a high powered blender. Blend until very smooth.
Thin batter like half-n-half. A fine soft grit is ok but i kept grinding. This should rest an hour while
prepping the steamer. I used a wok fitted with a section of my bamboo steamer and found a cake
pan that fit inside perfectly.

(linked recipe uses ground flours so no blender is needed)

Here is a link that might be useful: homemade Kway Teow

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Noodles!

The directions most useful for my recipe is from
“Thai Home-Cooking from Kamolmal’s Kitchen”.

1. Soak the rice overnight in the water. After soaking, grind the rice and water for 5 or 10 minutes in a blender to form a very smooth thin batter, (A food processor won’t work for this.) When done grinding, you should be able to feel no more than the slightest hint of solid particles if you rub the batter between your fingers. Better too smooth than not smooth enough!

2. Lightly coat an 8″ x 8″ x 2″ baking pan with oil and heat it for about 3 minutes in a steamer. Pour in 1/2 cup batter in an even layer and replace the steamer lid. Steam for 5 minutes. From this point on, check to make sure there’s water in the steamer. Add boiling water as necessary if it’s low.

3. After 5 minutes, coat the top of the first layer lightly but thoroughly with vegetable oil and pour 1/2 cup of batter in an even layer on top of it. Again, steam for 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter. After adding the last layer, steam for 8 minutes. When sliced, the layers will separate into thin noodles.

-My round cake pan worked fine. My batter made 6 noodle layers. I did three then removed and chilled, then three more. I used half right away, and rest went in the fridge
(for breakfast) lol. Really fun and very easy. I used grapeseed oil and regular tapioca
because i always have it. And always have brown rice. Yet another use for my Blendtec.
No need to buy special flours or ingredients!

Here is a link that might be useful: fresh rice noodles

o

Wow - This looks great. I will have to try this. I love making noodles.

Wild weather in Maine too. -10 this morning and. 50 degrees and 2" rain forecast. Probable ice dams and flooding.

o

I'm putting this together for my BIL. We share our meals all the time via texting. (they are on the WestCoast). He has been in a food elimination diet for a while after some severe migraines. Off wheat now and feeling much better but loves pasta. This is a delightful hearty wide rice noodle. One that i have always adored. Easily purchased? Well yeah, in NYC and asian markets. But this is not a compromise. So much better fresh. Easier than i would have thought. And my local International market went bankrupt, so sad. They had everything.

Most important is the batter being thin enough to spread on its own. !/2 cup filling a 9inch round or 8x8inch square without assistance. 2nd and 3rd layer i did wiggle a bit.

o

Thanks for the great rice noodle tutorial!

We've been wheat-free for a year now, and I just haven't taken the time to make any wheat-free noodles. Earlier this week I made some chicken stock and thought how nice it would be to have some noodles with it. Having just milled a quart of buckwheat flour, the light bulb in my brain went off and at the last minute decided to make a small trial batch of Soba.

I took buckwheat flour and added enough kefir (yogurt would also work) and a good pinch of salt to make a soft dough. I let the mixture sit for an hour (next time I'll let it ferment 12-24 hours). I was thrilled to get some very nice noodles for my small effort.

With a little looking on-line, I found the recipe linked below for Homemade Buckwheat Soba and will give it a try and will use my pasta machine to roll out and cut the dough, and will dehydrate the noodles since they don't have any dairy products in them. I used to make huge batches of fermented noodles with freshly-milled durum wheat flour and dehydrate them, and have missed this little pantry convenience food.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade Buckwheat Soba

o

So you need something like a Vitamix for this?

Sally

o

No, not at all Sally. You can purchase rice flour. The first link i added above uses flours. Already ground.
During the last storm and a sleepless night, to occupy my brain, i thought of what i already stock in my pantry using my blender to make these.
I've not tried rice flour or a basmati type rice as i only buy brown rice.
Not sure if my BIL has a Blendtec or Vitamix, so i'll attempt to give him a recipe using flours. All rice requires different amounts of water, so the amount of water added to make the batter very thin will differ.
My first batch came out a bit thicker, so i cut them into a less wide noodle.

We are not gluten-free but do like to give our diet variety. This is a very sturdy noodle and would be a great dumpling for soups as well.
Those that are gluten-free or cutting down are spending quite a bit on specialty flours and rice noodles packaged.

o

Here is my first attempt at noodles with a clean out the fridge assortment to stir fry. I used a recipe on chowhound that just used rice flour, corn starch, salt, oil and water - ingredients I had on hand. I was happy with the results though my stir fry technique needs work. I like the idea of making it from brown rice - an ingredient I have on hand anyway. I see a blender splurge in my future....

o

I've been following this thread with interest as I do have family members with celiac disease.

I showed Elery the post and mentioned that maybe we should get his daughter a steamer so she could make her own noodles. He laughed, and then I realized he was right, she'd never do it, she hates to cook!

It did remind me that I have been planning to make some noodles, though, as I have a plethora of frozen eggs in the freezer and a pasta recipe that will use 8 of them at a time. I'm not in any danger of running out of those frozen eggs, I have something like 25 dozen, LOL, and the "girls" have just started laying again.

I just have a plain old Osterizer blender, about 40 years old, but it works, so the recipe that uses rice flour is a better idea for me anyway.

Annie

o

Made another batch last night. Actually two. I thought i may have had beginners luck, but this was as good or better. I needed a new recipe as we avoided shopping, (again), and i'm out of tapioca, but i added 3 tbsp corn starch as well as the corn flour. Green onion tops, cilantro and lemon zest. Fab flavor. Seared scallops and shrimp and added sliced noodle rolls to the pan to give them a toast, in a big cast iron skillet. Drizzled toasted sesame oil, lemon, soy, ginger dressing on the noodles, yum.
The other one is a mixed grain that is resting in the fridge and i will steam tonight.
One cup of brown rice, but added a 1/4 cup of about 6 different whole grains and some chia.
Thought i had some buckwheat. Need to put that on my list.

My sister does not cook Annie. At all. Never has. She does not even know how to boil dry store bought noodles. PastaJoy rice noodle brand does have a lasagna noodle that makes a good wide noodle and can be cut to any length/width.

I did discover that rice flour that is stone ground, even if it is listed as fine ground, like the Bob's red mill, may be a bit gritty/sandy if not soaked and blended...but a regular blender will work. You can dip your finger into the batter and rub it. A bit of grain is fine but it should feel soft not sandy. Mine felt sandy last night after grinding but i let it rest an hour and it became soft in feel. Then ground it again.

o

You may also find a difference between short-, medium-, and long-grain rice flour. When using rice flour for cooking and baking, choose short-grain or medium-grain rice over long-grain rice. Long-grain rice is fine for dredging or as a thickener, but not so much for cooking and baking. Short- and medium-grain rice work best for cooking and baking, and will also work for dredging and thickening. Another reason to mill your own flours..... -Grainlady

o

agmss, i missed your post before. Your noodles look great. I read through some of the chowhound discussions and used some of that info for my first attempt. Also where i heard of the trouble with some rice flours. (being stone ground)
I'm at that 'clean out the fridge' stage right now. We have not shopped since before the new year, lol. I avoid at all cost, not about the money but just a fun challenge to use what we have and now see, just barely, the back of the freezer, and veg drawers are almost empty enough to give a clean wipe. Don't like wasted food. I use my Blendtec to pulverize in seconds all the kale, chard and collard stems...fresh ones in our juice and the stuff going a bit off go in the pups food and the worm composter.

I watched a few youtube videos, with sub-titles, yesterday, and got the idea for rolling, slicing, then pan searing. Kept the noodles in bundles as stir-frying can break them.
Just another method for plating and a different texture.

o

Another noodle is the lovely Italian pasta. New Years week we made a big batch. Mostly fettucini. Marcella Hazan's instructions in her Essentials book is a good read. We give that chapter a speed read even though we have made from scratch for years. DH has notes written in the margins...

o

Ha - I just watched a youtube video with a lovely lady making noodle rolls. Between it being in another language and pixelation on my phone it was a little mysterious. I lived in Montreal's chinatown for a year in college. I used to get a soft noodle blob with a very spicy sauce - poor description of a favorite. The steamed noodles reminded me of it somewhat. Hence the youtube search

My fridge clean up was partly a wish not to waste food and partly the state of my drive. Now somewhat improved....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here