SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malna_gw

Weekend Experiments

malna
10 years ago

Had a pint of cream in the fridge (never did make the lobster bisque that I bought it for) so instead of tossing it, I made Creme Fraiche. Now I have to find recipes to use it. Would this be considered an odd ingredient? Suggestions welcome :-)

Now the problem is the proliferation of jars of "white stuff" in the fridge. Creme fraiche, lard, venison lard/tallow, homemade yogurt and a few other assorted things...I really need to get out my Sharpie and label them clearly for DH. I just know he's going to pick up the wrong jar if I don't...

I had purchased about 5 pounds of pork jowl to make the lard, but it was very meaty (where's the fat when you need it?) Also had a friend come back from a fishing trip to the Great Lakes and gave us a three pound salmon filet. Ate some for dinner and made maple-glazed smoked salmon with the "leftovers". Time to get the smoker going. Jowl bacon on the left and salmon on the right getting basted with local maple syrup from our neighbor.

DH wanted me to buy some Vita herring to snack on, but I looked at the price and said "Um, I don't think so." We took a pound of largemouth bass fillets out of the freezer and made pickled bass in wine sauce with sweet onions.

Wow, good stuff! He's happy - he has his snackies. I'm happy - spring bass fishing starts in a couple of months and we still have a lot in the freezer. Another recipe for it!

All in all, a fun weekend and some very successful experiments with new recipes.

Comments (9)