SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Recent posts regarding Kefir enticed me

donna_loomis
10 years ago

And now I am hooked. Previous to reading information here, I had only consumed Kefir smoothies from the grocery store. Good, but I knew it was "adulterated". I was intrigued by everything I had read here and at other sites. Many health benefits were touted and who doesn't want to be in better health? And since I love plain yogurt and have made that, I was pretty sure I would like kefir as well. I was reluctant to order grains online, concerned that it would take them some time to recover, if they were even viable upon arriving. I posted on freecycle, but there were no responses. So, I tried craigslist and found a seller within 5 miles of my office. We made all the arrangements via texts. I assumed I was dealing with a woman, but subsequent phone calls requesting directions revealed that Alex was a male. It seemed very cloak and dagger. We met in a parking lot. He handed me a ziplock baggie with grains and milk and I slipped him $15. This was last Friday and I was leaving town for the weekend. I got home and emptied the baggie into a quart jar and poured two cups of organic milk over them. I placed a piece of fabric over the jar and screwed on the ring. Then I left for the weekend, which was probably a good thing, because I would probably have been checking on the jar many times. When I got home, I strained the kefir from the grains, added more milk to the grains and put the kefir in the refrigerator to chill. Later that night I poured a cup to taste. It tasted exactly like I was hoping it would. Since Sunday night I have made another batch every night, only letting it ferment for 24 hours instead of 48 (the first time). It tastes the same.

I do have a couple of questions that I'd like those of you who drink kefir to answer for me, please.

First, Alex told me to only use organic milk because that is what the grains have been in. I did buy organic milk, but is it really necessary? I was thinking that I could sort of wean the grains off organic milk (because it is expensive here) by substituting a little more non-organic milk each time I make a new batch until I am using totally non-organic milk. Do you think that will work?

Second, I am tempted to drink kefir for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I've always been told that even too much of a good thing is too much. Is that so with kefir?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!