SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Help me understand Bragg Aminos as a sub for Soy Sauce

shambo
12 years ago

In the last couple of days I've read at least two posts on low sodium blogs about using Bragg Liquid Aminos as a substitute for soy sauce. I've read similar comments elsewhere, including some on this forum.

About 7 years ago my husband first went on a low sodium diet, and I bought the product because it was supposed to be lower in sodium than soy sauce. It was OK, but the math behind the claims puzzled me. I'm still puzzled.

Granted, regular soy sauce is horribly high in sodium. The same can be said of the lower sodium versions you can purchase at most grocery stores. However, for the last several years I've been able to purchase online "House of Tsang" Less Sodium Soy Sauce with only 320 mgs. sodium per Tablespoon.

I recently bough a spray bottle of Bragg Aminos just to give it one more try. It tastes pretty much like the Tsang soy sauce I'm presently using. It's got 160 mgs. sodium per 1/2 Teaspoon. That works out to 960 mgs. per Tablespoon -- quite a bit more than the low sodium soy sauce I presently use.

So my question is: What would be the advantage of using the Aminos? Is it because I can use so much less? But is that assumption even correct since they taste so similar? (By the way, I just did a taste test, comparing equal amounts [1/2 tsp. each] of the Aminos vs. the soy sauce. My opinion is that I'd have to use the same amount of product.)

I am not trying to be argumentative. I just want to understand what the fuss is all about and what I am missing. By the way, I think the spray bottle idea is great for spraying a bit of extra flavor right on top of food.

I appreciate your thoughts, opinions, and ideas.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Bragg Liquid Aminos Nutritional Info

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths