SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Frozen uncooked acorn squash--is it usable?

lpinkmountain
9 years ago

I went to the store on Friday and didn't realize that an acorn squash fell out of the bag and was frozen in the car all weekend. It rolled out this morning when SO went to work. I'm wondering if it can be thawed and used for anything? Or is it kaput?

Comments (8)

• agmss15
    9 years ago

I grew a ton of squash this year. Unfortunately I left them on my porch a touch too long. Several dozen of squash popsicles. Sigh. I had a big job of cutting up an steaming them all and freezing the puree. The drier squash came out better than the the waterier varieties. Some I tossed. I would think acorn would be fine.

In fact I made squash leek pancakes with ginger tomato chutney for dinner tonight. Good luck.

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was going to bake it and use it in a curry, but I think that is out. I guess there is only one way to find out, bake it and see. "Squash popsicles"--love it! Well, not exactly love since I'm sure that was a bummer, but sometimes life does hand you a squash popsicle, so I guess you just have to make puree . . .

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

I was just hunting for this sort of question... I have a few squashed that I thought would be safe in my solarium, but we got a really nasty cold snap while I was away and had freezing temps out there.. Got long island cheese, a small hubbard, a large buttercup, a jarradale... and a heap of spaghetti squash that all got frosted.

Guess over the next few days I'm going to be making a lot of puree :(

• agmss15
    9 years ago

I think the reason that squash is a winter staple is that it can freeze and still be eaten
    I was more worried about freeze thaw freeze thaw..... and food safety and quality.If I had a spot where they would have stayed frozen I wouldn't have cared as much. One of my many wishes is an above ground root cellar.

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I roasted the squash for about 45 min unpeeled, then cut it open, cleaned it out and peeled it and roasted it for about 15 minutes more. Then I put it in the curry in the crockpot. It was OK. It had a stringy texture, but the last acorn squash I made that didn't freeze was also stringy and had dry white areas. I haven't had a good acorn squash in decades. I didn't much like the curry but that is just me and curry. The squash being mediocre was only one part of the whole "meh" vibe for the curry. I sure have a lot of it left over! It is edible, just not yummy, IMHO.

• agmss15
    9 years ago

I steamed the squash, put them through a ricer, drained and froze.The ricing removed some of the stringiness. A couple were too wet and stringy and I tossed them.

• annie1992
    9 years ago

I think I'd puree it and put it into baked goods, like squash muffins or dinner rolls, then the texture wouldn't be as noticeable. I have substituted squash for ingredients like bananas and applesauce in muffins and they turn out pretty well, and I use squash interchangeably with pumpkin because I always have squash and don't always have pumpkin. It has always worked.

Too late for L, though!

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wish I did have time to make squash bread, muffins or rolls. I love the stuff. I am packing up my kitchen though. I haven't made yeast bread in over a month. I just made pumpkin muffins but that was to use up a can of pumpkin we had left over from SO's Christmas Pumpkin cheesecake. Today it is applesauce bread and cranberry muffins and then the kitchen will be officially closed for the next two weeks.