Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you eat smoked tinned oysters?

Posted by bumblebeez (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 2, 11 at 17:02

I love these things and they are high in iron, which I need.

Other than a glass of wine, a toothpick and an occasional cracker, is there anything else I could do with these?
It's only for me, btw.

Any brand you prefer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you eat smoked tinned oysters?

Adore, adore on a saltine cracker. No other cracker except saltines!

o

I usally eat them standing up in the kitchen straight out of the tin, fighting Dad for my share.

Sardines, I think it is either King Oscar or Nice brands, are to be eaten on toast.

o

Yup, I'll take them with wine and crackers, too.

o

Get fancy, use recipes for escargot.

dcarch

o

I love tiny smoked oysters on a cracker. I prefer Ritz and just a dab of cream cheese.

Somewhere I have a recipe for a smoked mussel bisque. I bet you could put the tiny smoked oysters in that and it would be wonderful.... let me see if I can find the recipe, I haven;t made it in eons.

Alexa

o
one possibility

I found this while I was searching around.... sounds pretty good I think. The one I have is more of a creamy blended thing with just a few reserved smoked mussels for garnish. I will find it and post it. The reason I was recommending it is because tinned smoked mussels and tinned smoked oysters are quite similar, but bring their own special something to the palate.

A

Petite Smoked Oyster Stew W/Bacon, Potatoes and Onions
By Wildflour on April 02, 2007
Photo by Kim127
4 Reviews Prep Time: 20 mins Total Time: 30 mins Servings: 2 About This Recipe
"I LOOOOOOVE smoked oyster stew!! This is my own easy version! It's delish! Enjoy! :) Time does not include cooking the bacon, I always have cooked bacon on hand in the freezer that I use for ocaisions like this."
Ingredients
3 -4 small red potatoes or 3 -4 small yukon gold potatoes 1/2 small onions, chopped, can sub 1 tsp. dried minced 1 tablespoon butter 4 -6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled or torn 1 cup half-and-half 1 cup milk 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules 1 dash garlic powder, to taste fresh coarse ground black pepper, to taste 1 (3 3/4 ounce) cans petite smoked oysters, drained oyster crackers Directions
Cut up unpeeled potatoes into bite-sized cubes and boil til tender in small saucepan. Once water starts to boil, will only take about 4 minutes.Check them with a knife for tenderness.
*While potatoes are boiling, saute chopped onion in butter til tender.

Page 2 of 2Petite Smoked Oyster Stew W/Bacon, Potatoes and Onions (cont.)
Directions (cont.)
Drain saucepan of potato water keeping potatoes in there.
Add half and half, milk, boullion, garlic powder, pepper, oysters and cooked onions with the butter and juices.
Heat over LOW heat til heated through.
Stirring gently ocaisionally.
*I just use a fork to lift and drain the oysters out of the can, and what's ever on them oil-wise, is fine. Just adds flavor anyways! If your stew is too oily on top, just skim off with a spoon, or don't worry about it! The crackers will absorb that! ;).
Garnish heavily, each bowl with bacon.
Serve with oyster crackers or saltines.
Some like a little hot sauce served with on the side, too.
*If using bacon that you have on hand that has been precooked, just wrap in papertowel and microwave about 10 seconds. (Thaw cooked bacon first if using it from your freezer and it's not already thawed.).
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 (622 g)

Servings Per Recipe: 2

Amount Per Serving % Daily ValueCalories 729.3 Calories from Fat 415 56% Amount Per Serving % Daily ValueTotal Fat 46.1g 70% Saturated Fat 22.3g 111% Cholesterol 128.2mg 42% Sugars 3.6 g Sodium 723.4mg 30% Total Carbohydrate 57.7g 19% Dietary Fiber 4.6g 18% Sugars 3.6 g 14% Protein 21.7g 43%

o

I'm with Peppi; I eat them right out of the can. Except I have the advantage of being single and don't have to fight for my share. :-)

Teresa

o

That smoked oyster stew does sound good. I can't even bear to look at recipes for snails ewwww!

Well, at least I'm not alone, I thought maybe I was supposed to use them as an ingredient instead of eating them by themselves.
I'm quite sure Dad and dh would go ewww at the oysters so I don't have to share!

o

you can eat oysters but not escargot??? Why? they are both creepy crawlies in a shell with a formless body....
I have never even thought of "making anything out of them"...but I always have several cans in the cupboard....and apropos the cooking for one thread....
yep...I do the "eat the whole can" thing...couple of saltines...and some times a squeeze of lemon for variety!
Linda C

o

This is my favorite way to eat smoked oysters:

Smoked Oyster Log

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon onions (finely minced)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
Dash of garlic powder
Dash of salt
Dash of Tabasco
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 can smoked oysters, lightly drained

Mix all ingredients (except oysters). Place mixture flat on waxed or parchment paper in rectangular shape (about 1/4 inch thick). Chill overnight or a couple of hours. Line oysters (smoked) in center of mixture. Roll into shape of a log. Serve immediately or chill rolled in waxed or parchment paper.

Serve on crackers. I like Wheat Thins with it.

o

"That smoked oyster stew does sound good. I can't even bear to look at recipes for snails ewwww!"

You're just spineless......

o

I spend too much time hunting slugs down in my garden....I don't have to ever look at oysters.

o

I eat them right from the can too... on a ritz sometimes.. or on a salad even.. Hubster doesnt care for them, so I only need to push the cats away.. lol

Carolyn

o

A nibble plate of smoked oysters, cheese, and olives sounds good . . . washed down with a stout beer.

o

I love them on crackers, could eat a tin on my own.

I also like to make a spread with them.

4 oz cream cheese
tin of oysters drained
dash of Worchestershire
dash of tabasco
splash of lemon juice.

o

I think I've turned somewhat squeamish in my old age! LOL! I used to love smoked oysters....was taught to eat them by my dad. But now, the thought of them makes me feel a little icky.

Teresa

o

I found it and typed it up. I bet it would be good with smoked oysters too.......

Alexa

Smoked Mussel Soup

Ingredients:

1 Container (4 oz.) Smoked Mussels
3 tbsp. Unsalted butter
1 cup Fish or chicken stock
1 cup Milk
1 cup Cream
2 Egg yolks
Dash of tabasco sauce (optional, to taste)
A bit of chopped green herbs or scallion
Salt and pepper if desired

Directions:

Put the butter and geren onion in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Cook slowly until the onion is wilted. Add the smoked mussels (reserve a few for garnish), the stock, the cream, and tabasco . Now add a little of the hot soup to the well beaten eggs and blend well. Then add that back into the soup stirring well. Put half in a blender and whiz it until it is smooth, creamy and thickened. Add it back to the original pot or put it in a different container and blend the rest of the soup. (I use a stick blender in the pot) Garnish with a bit of “greenery” like parsley or dill and the reserved mussels. Serve warm with oyster crackers or saltines.

o

I used to love them.
Could eat a whole tin of them,
With a toothpick,
Just standing at the counter.
Didn't need crackers,
Nor anything else.

In fact, can't even imagine using them IN anything!
They don't even sound good to me that way.
Guess I always wanted to take full advantage of every savory bite,
No compromising with other flavors.

But whether it is old age,
A bout with bleeding ulcers several years ago,
Or both.
I don't know.

Just can't eat then any more.
But wish I could ! !

Rusty

o

For those of you with
1) a smoker that can run pretty cool and...
2) access to fresh shucked oysters

you can smoke your own and they are really good.
we buy burlap sacks of (what I call) the cracks; oysters discarded off the production lines for malformed shells, too small, cracked shells, etc.

Brine them in whatever (teriyaki, cajun, citrus, apple juice...its all good.) and place on a tight rack so they don't drip through the openings at the very topmost, coolest place in your smoker and wait.

They don't freeze well at all and aren't anywhere near as good jarred up after so we generally do it in one big mess of a weekend. But if you were willing to run your smoker I see no reason you couldn't do a small batch either.

I wouldn't do it with other foods, they drip and generally make everything taste like oysters for a while.

o

I certainly would like try smoked fresh oysters someday, metaxa.

I have decided to not buy the tins that use cottonseed oil- it gets a bad health rap- but found some that use olive oil at TJ's for not much more in price.
They tasted exactly the same.

o

Now I want smoked oysters on buttered saltines. Just getting over the stomach flu. Probably not a good idea. lol

o

So....I went to the grocery store tonight....got to have t.p. if it's going to snow....and yep....you guessed it....I bought a can of smoked oysters. Ate half the can on some saltines while I was putting away the groceries....and they weren't icky at all.

Teresa

o

Something about snow that makes me want to have every delicious thing possible in the house!
Of course, I got a tank exchange too, the ice can be scary.

o

i know i m a major lurker but i read alot, and im just wondering what exactly oysters taste like? are they similar to clams? i love clams. is there something to compare them with..and no i dont eat snails (shudder sorry).

o

Just try them...I love clams too but the smoked oysters are not as chewy as clams.

o

And the smoked oysters are little tiny things, not like most raw oysters that you'd find.

o

bumblebeez,

This post brought back a flood of memories. On Saturdays, Dad & I used to sit on the couch and share a tin of smoked oysters and a package of Waverly crackers while watching candlepin bowling on TV.

I haven't had smoked oysters in years. I think it's time for a treat. I wonder, do they still make Waverly crackers??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here