Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cabbage Knish

Posted by michaelmaxp (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 16:53

I have been craving a cabbage knish. Does anybody have a recipe for a traditional cabbage filling?

I'm on a knish learning frenzy so I wouldn't mind any traditional fillings that you might know; kasha, sweet potato, definitley cabbage.

Thanks for your help

Michaelp

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cabbage Knish

I don't have any cabbage filling recipes, but hubby is from NYC and I've been trying to make perfect knishes for him for years. They never quite turn out, so I am hoping someone will post "the" perfect recipe on this thread. :o)

o

Sorry but the perfect knish can only be made by your Bubbe! :)

o

I can't claim perfection but I'm pretty happy with my first ever batch. I was bit awkward trying a few shape options but they taste pretty dang good. I made potato/onion and a few kasha/mushroom/onion.

michaelp

o

MMP, those knishes sound and look FABULOUS! Actually much better than anything my Bubbe could make. But her son, (my dad) was uber picky so she didn't have much incentive. I wish I could make great knishes like that. I just don't have the patience with dough.

o

This dough is super easy to work with. There is no yeast, only a little baking powder, so the only resting required is less than an hour or so while cooking the fillings. You roll it out thin, as thin as you can manage, and put in a layer of filling and roll it up like a jelly roll. After every roll, brush oil on top before continuing the roll. That keeps the layers from sticking together. The result is not really flakey as in a nice pastry but it's not bready either. Really nice. I froze the extras after baking. I'm curious how the reheated dough reacts.

Here's the dough I used:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
2/3 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk for optional egg wash
3 tbsp canola oil, plus extra for brushing
1 tsp vinegar
1 bottle sparkling water (you will only use part of this)

I mixed the dry together in the mixer then whisked the wet together and added it and mixed (just use about a quarter to a half cup of water at first, if you need more add it later) You're not trying to develop the gluten so just enough mixing to smooth out the dough.

I put the dough on the table fairly sticky, requiring flour sprinkled to allow me to work with it. Divide into two balls and set in on a little sprinkled flour (so it doesn't stick) and letit rest while you make the filling(s).

Once the fillings are cool enough to work with, roll out the dough, thin, 1/16th , in a rectangle. You want it wide enough to get about 4 layers of rolling. Oil the top before completing each roll so they don't meld together.

Deciding how to shape hem is a matter of practice I think. The two traditional methods:

1. Cut the roll at about 6 inches and curl it into a snail pressing the ends together when they meet.
2. the other method is to gently saw with the edge of your hand abot 4 inches into the roll. The sawing presses the edges together like a pillow before it actually cuts through. I forgot to do that on my examples- I used a knife and the result was fine but exposed the filling and didn't look as cool as at it could have.

Here's some pictures of the process. Don't get confused by the differences in filling- one is the potato, the other is the kasha.

i'll post a couple more pics in the next one.

michaelp

o

Here's the follow up pictures.

michaelp

o

Those knishes look pretty darn good -- might try your recipe (and maybe a spinach one too). Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here