SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacy3_gw

Ann's Stacked enchiladas...

stacy3
14 years ago

huge, HUGE hit in our house. no big surprise coming from Ann. :-)

We had them last night and they are absolutely fabulous. The only change I made was using flour tortillas rather than corn. I am not a corn tortilla fan. I know this probably technically makes them not enchiladas, but what the heck. Oh, and I used poblanos instead of the peppers that you roast. Our peppers aren't labeled at the grocery store and I couldn't tell which was which, so I just knew I liked roasted poblanos, so I got those.

They were so good, next time I might even try corn tortillas. :-) That green chile sauce was awesome!

Thanks yet again Ann for a great recipe!

Stacked Enchiladas -Ann T

==================

Source: Southwest Cookbook

Here is the recipe Helene for the Stacked Enchiladas. I see no reason why you couldn't layer these over lapping in a lasagna pan and then slice to serve. You will have to double the ingredients for the sauce as well as the fillings.

Vegetable oil for frying

12 corn tortillas (6 inches)

1 1/2 cups (12 fl ounces) green Chili Sauce (recipe on page 195)

2 cups (8 ounces) grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar Cheese

3/4 cups finely chopped onion

Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour vegetable oil into a medium , heavy skilled to depth of 1/2 inch. Heat the oil over medium high heat to 375°F, or until a strip of tortilla browns in 60 seconds. Soften the tortillas, one at a time, for about 5 seconds per side in the hot oil and drain on paper towels.

Heat the green chili sauce in a shallow pan and dip each softened tortilla into the sauce. Place 1 coated tortilla on an oven proof plate and top with 1 tablespoons green cili sauce, 2 tablespoons grated cheese and 1 tablespoon chopped onion; repeat twice so that 1 serving contains 3 layered tortillas. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 4 tortilla stacks. Bake the stacks for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts.

NOTE: Add cooked chicken and or pinto or black beans between layers.

Green Chili Sauce

1 Jalapeno chili seeded and diced

1 garlic clove crushed

1/4 cup chopped green onions

4 tomatillos, husked and diced (or use canned)

1 1/2 cups chicken stock

2 new Mexico green or Anaheim chilies, roasted, peeled, cored, seeded and diced.

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

1 tablespoon heavy cream

salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan, place the jalapeno , garlic, green onions, tomatillos and chicken stock. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat' reduce heat and simmer until theliquid is reduced to about 1 cup about 15 to 20 minutes.

Pour the chicken stock misture into a blender or food processor.

Add the Anaheim chilies, cilantrol and lime juice; puree until smooth. Add salt and pepper. Add the cream and mix again. Serve warm. Keep 1 to 2 days refrigerated.

Servings: 4

Comments (29)