SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marzhere

Steel Cut Oatmeal in Crockpot?

marzhere
15 years ago

For the last year or so, I've been on a steel cut oatmeal for breakfast kick. I've used the normal 1 c oatmeal, 4 c water, simmer for 30 minutes method. I'd make it while cooking dinner, then before bed, I'd seperate the oatmeal into 4 containers and put in the fridge. While the am routine is quick/easy to just reheat in the microwave. I'm not enjoying cleaning the pan, which tends to have a cooked layer on the bottom that requires significant soaking and/or scrubbing.

The above method has produced good results, as I like my oatmeal thick/dense/chunky rather than thin/runny/slimy. I decided to try the crockpot method (for ease) and found the following recipe:

2 cups Steel Cut Oats

1 - 15 oz can pumpkin

3 1/2 cups fat free milk

3 1/2 cups water

1 Tablespoon vanilla

1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

1/4 cup Splenda

Directions: Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on low 6 hours.

The taste was good, but I wasn't keen on the texture. Last night, I tried 2 c oatmeal and 8 c water. Started the crockpot at 11 pm and cooked until 5 am. It then sat until 7 am. When I opened the lid, there was a thick layer of beige slime-type substance. I spooned most off and stirred the rest into the oatmeal. Again, the consistancy is not what I like. Now, the oatmeal that I had to peel away from the disposable liner was much more to my liking, LOL.

Any thoughts as to how to make steel cut oatmeal that is thick (almost chewy) in the crockpot? Am I using too much liquid, cooking too long?

Comments (19)