SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Gnocchi lasagne with zucchini (+ ricer)

Lars
9 years ago

I had leftover gnocchi dough, and had learned that if I work it too much, it makes touch gnocchi, and so I decided to transform it into lasagne by adding more flour, since the gnocchi dough was very wet.

This is not something I would really recommend for anyone else to do, but it came out very nice, but only with quite a bit of effort. So... do this at your own risk!

To the gnocchi dough, I added white flour and semolina flour until the dough was similar to pasta dough. Then I let it rest for a while and tried to roll it out in my pasta machine. I only got to #3, which is still fairly thick, and had to stop, so that it would not break apart. To make it thin enough, I used my wooden cylinder rolling pin (not my French pin), and got good results with that. Next I made the mistake of boiling the sheets. I thought they needed to be cooked a bit to improve the texture, but I should have left them alone and let them cook in the pan. I used an 8.5"x8.5" Corningware pan (2 quarts), and layered the boiled pasta sheets with sauce, sliced Asiago, sliced Provolone, and sheets of Mozzarella (which I torn into pieces), plus slices of two zucchini, which I did not precook (fortunately). I used my electric slicer to make about eight lengthwise slices from each zucchini, and I ate the first slice raw, which was mostly skin/peel, but I like it anyway. Each zucchini made one layer, and so it was important to slice them thinly enough. I did not add any salt to the zucchini, and it is good that I did not, as the cheese had plenty of salt in it, and it would have been too salty if I had added more. It could have used some ground black pepper, but I added that at the table (Kevin did not) along with Parmesan cheese. I would have put Parmesan in the filling, but I was too tired at that point in the evening and felt it would be fine on top, which it was.

The problem with this recipe is that the lasagne noodles did not want to hold together, and so I rolled them out into approximately 2" x 6" pieces (on average). I only boiled them each for about a minute and rinsed them with cold water, but they came out a bit softer in the final dish than I wanted. I guess the potato made them softer, and so I should not have boiled them. Boiling them was the worst part, and so I will probably make this again and skip that step. I am wondering if I could use potato starch/flour in the pasta dough and get a similar result. I do not think it would be as good as using cooked potatoes.

I bought a potato ricer last week-end, but so far I have only used it to make Habanero sauce, and it works pretty well for that. I bought a $12 one at BB&B that has interchangeable disks, just to see whether I would really want to use one, and now I think I might want to buy a better one. I will probably not order one on line, as I would want to see it in person before buying. The one I have works really well with chilies and does a great job of removing seeds and skin, although some of the skin went through because I had gently pulsed the chilies before pressing them. I finished the sauce by pureeing it with a stick blender, and it came out very smooth.

Lars

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida