SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emputt

My Kefir wont thicken, please help!

emputt
10 years ago

I am new to making kefir and so far it isn't going super smoothly, I was hoping someone might be able to help. I got grains from a dairyman last week (who used fresh raw milk) and they were initially refrigerated until I was able to get home and put them in milk (probably ~3-4 hours). I have about 1/4 cup of grains. I initially put them in 3-4 cups of milk and tasted it after 24 hours and it only had a mild tang to it. I then read that it is supposed to be buttermilk consistency. I let them sit for three days and they ended up separating into curds on top and whey on the bottom. I then tried putting them into more milk (~6 cups) because I read that if it skips the buttermilk stage it could be because there isn't enough milk. However, this took about 3.5 days for me to see any change and again it just separated. When I strained them, I mushed up most of the curds but they never really went back into solution. I tried this time putting them in a lot less milk (2 cups) but after 24 hours there was no change and 36 hours they were just beginning to form a little curd on the top. I am wondering what I am doing wrong. I have never achieved a thicker consistency than milk (other than curds) but it smells yeasty/a little sour (not like bad milk though). My thought is that my house is pretty chilly (probably 55-60F) so I have kept them in a closet with my water heater to try to keep them warmer (maybe 65F) and assumed this is why it has taken so long for me to see any change, however, it hasn't seemed to change anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Comments (2)