Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food news.

Posted by barnmom (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 24, 12 at 16:23

"Monsanto: 'There is no need for, or value in testing the safety of GM foods in humans'

(NaturalNews) There is a growing body of scientific evidence which proves that genetically-modified organisms (GMOs) are inherently different from natural organisms, including the way the body processes them, as well as how the immune system responds to them. But Monsanto, the largest purveyor of GMOs in the world, believes that GMOs are no different than natural organisms, and that GMO testing is both needless and valueless.

In the Why aren't you running human clinical trials on GM crops? section of Monsanto's Food Safety page, the biotechnology giant explains its opinion that GMOs are "substantially equivalent" to natural organisms. According to Monsanto, since concentrations of proteins, carbohydrates, and other nutrient factors vary among natural crops, as well as among natural and GM crops, then these differences are automatically unimportant in light of GMO safety.

Furthermore, Monsanto claims that its injection of foreign DNA into its GM crops is also automatically safe because, get this, DNA is present in natural crops as well. Never mind that the injected DNA is foreign and unnatural, and is used to alter the entire genetic structure of GM crops -- according to Monsanto, its unnatural DNA is automatically non-toxic because every other plant also has DNA. Case closed."

"Foreign DNA in GMOs responsible for disease-causing inflammation, autoimmune disorders

Concerning the injection of foreign DNA into GM crops, Physicians and Scientists for Responsible Application of Science and Technology (PSRAST) have taken a more scientific approach by actually investigating how the body processes foreign DNA, which revealed that things are not as peachy as Monsanto claims they are. As can be expected, foreign DNA is not properly recognized by the body, and negatively stimulates the immune system in such a way as to cause disease-inducing inflammation."

The rest in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: naturalnews.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food news.

It's interesting to think about. I'm definitely in favor of genetic diversity in terms of keeping our options open in order to maintain our food supply no matter what conditions we face, but I'm not sure I'm against gene splicing as such. It sure sounds scary and science-fictiony to have bacterial DNA incorporated into our genetic material, but I think it's a pretty common occurrence and that vectors are chosen to be benign and not prone to mutation. Cracked.com's article "The 6 Creepiest Things Hiding in your DNA" is an interesting read, if you feel like having your skin crawl. I agree that further research would be nice.

o

I am certainly not against GMO in principal.....but in reality, at least here in Iowa, what it does is allow farmers to spray their whole soybean field with Round-Up.....and that causes all sorts of other problems....like loss of wildlife to name just one thing!
Af ew years back, they would ride through a field zapping individual plants with the weed killer.....or hire their teens to "walk beans"....walk the rows with a hoe and remove the weeds.
Yeah....soybeans are not what they were just a few years ago.

o

I don't think I will choose to eat them if I have a choice but the real issue is that they should be labeled so the shopper can have a choice. As I understand it, this is being fought - California ballot in November 2012 may provide a chance for voters their to have their say.

Hormone-free milk has same issues - some places, there is option to inform shopper whether or not hormones are in the milk and other places, no.

o

Haiti refuses Monsanto seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: News.

o

GMOs and food allergies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Allergicchild.com

o

That article on Haiti was pretty confusing. There's one sentence about an earlier donation of herbicide-treated seed being refused, but it sounds like the donation that was the focus of the article was accepted, and that neither of them were genetically modified anyway.

o

"3 Approved GMOs Connected to Organ Damage"

Here is a link that might be useful: Article about the study.

o

Giving the Haitians credit for refusing Monsanto's offer. Ugh. All sorts of implications if they start planting (and cross polinating!!!!) GMO seed. I wasn't confused at all.

o

The seeds weren't GMO, and they didn't refuse them!!

o

I find GMO seeds scary, but far scarier is BPA. Bisphenal A is an endocrine interrupter (that is, it mimics estrogen) and is in the lining of most canned foods, many plastics and coats the receipt tape you get from stores. It's the reason why 9 year old girls are going through puberty and contributes to a huge number of other conditions including breast cancer, obesity and diabetes. It was grandfathered in as "safe" years ago, so the FDA has no authority over it in any way; they can't eve go to the chemical industry and demand to know what products contain EPA.

You can find a full interview (originally published by Yale Environment 360) by Elizabeth Kolbert, well-known science writer and on the staff of the New Yorker, with BPA researcher Frederick vom Saal of the U. of Missouri's Endocrine Disruptor Group. I don't know how to post links, but the interview is at www.MotherEarthNews.com and the article is called "Is There Poison in Our Food?"

o

Some food news isn't pretty. I mean REALLY not pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bald chickens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here