SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

Pizza Party Recipes

wizardnm
16 years ago

Please share your recipes here for the Virtual Pizza Party.

Pizza dough, toppings, beverages, accompaniments...etc.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Virtual Pizza Party Link with all the RULES!

Comments (51)

• canarybird01
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I may make the version using Swiss chard & spinach, seeing as it's now winter.

This is one version of the delicious cocas prepared on the Spanish Balearic Islands. They are sold in nearly every bakery and are often eaten out of hand while standing up in the bakery, as a breakfast on the way to work, or as an afternoon snack on the way home or after school. They are usually eaten at room temperature and make wonderful side dishes for a cold summer buffet, picnic or evening snack.

There are many variations of coca and in winter the peppers may be substituted by Swiss chard or spinach and without tomatoes. Here is one recipe which is also know as 'Coca de Trempó'. Often the red peppers are skinned and in strips, and accompanied on top of the coca by artichoke hearts, olives and anchovies. This would be called 'Coca Amb Pebres', where 'pebres' are the red peppers in the Mallorquin dialect.

(From the Island of Mallorca)

Ingredients for 4 people:

4 cups (500 grams) all purpose flour
    1 oz (25 grams fresh yeast or 1 pkg dry yeast
    4 TBS olive oil
    1/4 cup (2 oz or 50 grams) lard
    3 medium Italian sweet green peppers or green bell peppers cut in small pieces
    3 spring onions - cut in small pieces including all the stalk
    3 ripe medium sized tomatoes- sliced finely
    1 clove of garlic - sliced finely
    1 handful of Italian flatleaf parsley, chopped
    1 TBS of sweet red paprika
    salt
    water - 1 cup lukewarm

1) Turn on the oven and set temperature at 375 F (191 C)

2) Put the warm water in a mixing bowl (preferrable one of porcelain or terracotta) and dissolve the yeast in it.

3) Add the lard and the olive oil. Add the flour gradually, mixing in by hand until the mixture leaves the side of the bowl.

4) Form a ball and let it rest for a few minutes while you prepare the vegetables.

5) Chop and slice vegetables into a large bowl, add the paprika and some salt and mix all together.

6) Lightly oil either a round pan of about 13" diameter (32 Cm) or a rectangular pan 13" x 11" (32 Cm x 27 Cm) both with a depth of approx 1/2 inch (1 cm). A cookie sheet or oven tray would be ideal.

7) Place dough in centre and carefully stretch it out with palms of hands, patting to fit pan, keeping an even thickness. It should be thin.

8) Arrange vegetables evenly on top of the dough, drizzling at the same time with olive oil and salt.

9) Put coca into oven for about 1 hour or until crust is lightly golden and vegetables are cooked. After taking it out of the oven, drizzle a little more olive oil on top.

10)

In winter the vegetables may be swiss chard or spinach, substituting the peppers, but also used raw and finely chopped.

Source: translated from "Cocina Balear" Ana Maria Calera
    Editorial Everest - Leon (España)

SharonCb

• booberry85
    16 years ago

Pizza Dough

My Mom "acquired" this recipe from an Italian friend. Ive used it the past 25 years and like it quite well.

Ingredients

1 ¼ cups warm water
    3 tablespoons oil (vegetable or olive)
    1 package of dry active yeast (or 2 ½ teaspoons)
    4 cups flour

In a small bowl, heat ½ cup water in microwave until just warm (not hot) add yeast. Let set for 5-10 minutes until the yeast bubbles and foams (if the yeast doesnt bubble and foam try adding a teaspoon of sugar to the yeast and water.) Mix one cup of flour in with the yeast mixture. Combine with the rest of the ingredients. Place in a greased bowl and cover with a warm damp cloth. Let rise for 1-3 hours.

Four Seasons Pizza

This gives you a chance to play with your food (or at least experiment with more toppings. The idea is to have each quadrant of the pizza represent a different season and have different toppings.

Ingredients

1 recipe pizza dough
    flour
    1-2 cans pizza sauce
    1 lb mozzarella, grated
    ½ cup sliced carmelized onions
    ½ cup sliced sautéed mushrooms
    ½ green bell pepper, sliced in strips
    ½ red bell pepper, sliced in strips
    ½ yellow bell pepper, sliced in strips
    1 small broccoli head, steamed and cut into bite size pieces
    1 tomato, sliced ¼ inch thick
    Black olives, sliced
    Sliced sundried tomatoes

Reserve ¼ of pizza dough and set aside. Roll out remaining pizza dough into a 15 inch square (or any comparable size to fit your pan). Place dough on lightly oiled baking sheet and build up edges for crust. Take remaining dough and split in half. Roll each half into 15 inch ropes. Cross each rope at 90 degree angles on top of the crust. Press down slight to secure.

Spread pizza sauce over each quadrant. Sprinkle mozzarella over the sauce on each quadrant. On one quadrant, spread the carmelized onions and mushrooms. On the next quadrant, spread the green, red and yellow bell pepper slices. On the third quadrant place the tomato slices down and put the broccoli on top. On the last quadrant put the sun dried tomatoes and black olives.

Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 20 minutes.

• Related Discussions

Virtual Pizza Party

Q

Comments (52)
    It sounds like fun although we'll be out of town. I look forward to seeing everyone's recipes and pictures though. We make pizza quite frequently. I make the dough and the pizza maker's sauce from "Pizza Napoletana!" by Pamela Sheldon Johns. The dough is for a flat pizza with large air pockets that build up, just like in Italia! We put our baking stones in the oven and crank them for the best results. My favorite is to duplicate the California Pizza Kitchen roasted red peppers, bacon, caramelized onions and goat cheese. Turns out wonderful and very close to the original. We set out as many toppings as the counter will hold and everyone makes their own. It's always a fun production in our house.
    ...See More

Bring along for a pizza beer party

Q

Comments (22)
    Maybe an alternative to beer for the non-beer drinkers? Some wine, maybe? Some good tea? Actually, as for desert, it might be a good idea, since people *should* be slowing down on the drinking of beer towards the end of the party, and some desert with some tea or coffee could be good. Some people make fruit pizza. The one I've tasted was way too sweet, but if done right, it doesn't have to be so sweet. There's also chocolate pizza. Sorry, I don't have any recipes up my sleeve, but I don't think they would be difficult to make. Sally
    ...See More

Jcrowley, question about your pizza dough

Q

Comments (15)
    Lou, I hope that you're not offended. I had already started both her dough and sauce before asking for help. I do want to try yours, seriously. And hoping that I'm not misreading, too. I hate forums and emails for trying to interpret what someone really means. Thank you so much, Lou, for the emails and the forum posts. I will be working on my pizza/calzone/stromboli expertise many times in the near future with four kids ages eight and under. And using your posts for guidance. Nancy
    ...See More

Pizza Party - Need new peel, recipes

Q

Comments (65)
    It will be interesting to hear your recipe, trailrunner! I just made a small batch (way too small as it turned out), this was enough for two pizzas. Minced garlic from 2 heads, simmered slowly in around 1/4 cup olive oil, for 5 minutes only, being carefully to not let brown. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was almost equal parts garlic and XV olive oil. Then, added a small can of tomato paste, 1/4 cup sugar and a couple Tbsp of water, and 1/4 tsp of oregano and pepper. The crusts do look different but I'm pretty sure they are both the Baguette recipe (which I must attempt this week, having found my pans). The second crust looks more like the Bittman recipe, but that was because it was made in a square pan, more deep dish style. I wasn't thrilled with either crust this time. We had a hockey game in the middle of the day so I made the 4 batches of dough in the morning and let them proof in the fridge, then skipped the second rise for the baguette recipe. Maybe they rose too long? Next time, I'll shoot for around two hours before oven time. Then again, I tend to not eat when I am hosting, so maybe I am imagining the difference. Everyone else loved the pizzas, which is all that counts. Between the two, I like the baguette recipe a little better but DH likes the MB.
    ...See More
  • lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Does anyone have directions for caramelizing onions in a crockpot? I'd like to try that. I think my friend told me once she does this.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Here is one from Recipezaar:

Crock Pot Caramelized Onions

3 lbs sliced onions
    1/2 cup melted margarine (or butter)
    1 teaspoon salt

1. Combine onions, margarine and salt in a crock pot.
    2. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

I like a small splash of balsamic vinegar in my onions when they are cooked like this. ~Teresa

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Here's my recipe for Pizza Dough and although it is for a Bread Machine which I do not have, I still make and just let it rise which is not much. I have no idea where I picked it up the recipe but we love it. It makes a very short dough like the Chicago's original Pizzera Uno (NOT THE CHAIN Uno) or Due deep dish pizza crust.

BEST PIZZA DOUGH

For 1-1/2 lb. (makes two 12-inch pizzas or one 15-x-10-inch pizza)

3/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup plus 2 Tblsp. water
    1-1/2 Tblsp. olive oil
    1 tsp. salt
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tsp. yeast
    cornmeal

For 1 lb. (makes one 12-inch pizza)
    1/2 cup milk
    1/4 cup water
    1 Tblsp. olive oil
    3/4 tsp. salt
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 tsp. yeast

Select recipe size desired.

Add first 6 ingredients to bread machine pan according to manufacturer's directions. Process in the dough/manual cycle. Remove dough from bread machine pan. Grease appropriate pan or stone; sprinkle with cornmeal.

Roll or pat dough to fit pan. Top as desired. Bake in conventional oven at 425 degrees F. for 15 to 25 minutes or until done. Pizza is done when edge of crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly.

WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA DOUGH: Replace 3/4 cup all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour in 1-1/2 lb. Recipe. OR replace 1/2 cup all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour in 1 lb. Recipe.

Checking dough consistency: Check dough after a few minutes of mixing; it should form a soft, smooth ball around the blade. If dough is too stiff or dry, add additional liquid, 1 tsp. at a time, until dough is of right consistency. If dough is too soft and sticky, add additional bread flour, 1 tsp. at a time.

If you don't have a Bread machine just mix the first 6 ingredients and let rise for a few hours. It does not rise much but I still let it rest.

Then take it out and stretch dough for the pizza(s). Top with whatever you like. I usually use homemade Pesto, red onions, dried tomatoes, provolone cheese and pepperoni.

Michelle

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

Maureen,
    and of course anyone else interested. Here are my pizza crust recipes, I will also put my sauce recipe on, then you can make whatever kind of pizza you desire! The crust and sauce are from "The Bread Book" by Betsy Oppenneer. The machine recipe came with my Breadman machine.

Pizza Crust
    this recipe makes:
    1 (13 X 18 inch rectangle, about 1" thick
    4 (14") round, about 1/4" thick
    2 (14") round , about 1/2" thick
    3 (12") round , about 3/8" thick
    6 (6") round, about 1/4" thick

2 scant TBSPs or 2 1/4 oz packets active dry yeast
    2 1/2 cups warm water
    2 tsp salt
    1 TBSP sugar
    2 TBSPs olive oil
    5 1/2 cup to 6 1/2 cup all purpose flour
    (see variations at end of recipe)

By Hand:
    1. Soften yeast in water.
    2. Add 3 cups flour, salt sugar and oil. Beat vigorously for two minutes.
    3. Gradually add more flour, 1/4 cup at a time until the dough forms a mass and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl. Turn out onto a floured work surface.
    4. Knead, adding more flour, a little at a time as needed, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until you have a smooth, elastic dough.
    5. Put the dough into an oiled bowl. Turn to coat, cover with plastic wrap and towel and let rise about 1 hour, or until double in size.
    6. When dough has risen, turn out onto a lightly oil surface. Divide it according to the number of crusts you wish to make. Shape the dough, you can use a rolling pin or just use your hands to pat the dough into the shape you wish. Grease you pans and put the crusts on the pans.
    7. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rest for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
    8. Just before baking prick the dough in several places with a fork or knife.
    9. Put the crust in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, check after 5 minutes. If large bubbles have formed, cover your hand with a clean towel and press the air out of the bubbles. The crust should be slightly firm and pale at the end of ten minutes. Cool crust on a rack to prevent it from becoming soggy.
    10. Top as desired. Bake topped pizza for 10 to 18 minutes depending on crust thickness and toppings.

Using Kitchen Aid Mixer (or other heavy duty mixer)

1. In the mixing bowl sprinkle the yeast over the water to soften, stir to dissolve.

2. Add the oil, 3 cups flour, salt and sugar. Pulse until all flour is absorbed. Add flour 1/4 cup at a time running at first speed until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.
    3. Remove the flat beater and put on the dough hook. Run at first speed, adding flour a little bit at a time as needed, until the dough forms up on the hook and comes away from the sides of the bowl, about 8 to 10 minutes. You can use second speed for the last few minutes to help develop the gluten.
    4. Proceed as above for rising, shaping, and baking.

Variation:
    Cornmeal Crust: Substitute 1 cup cornmeal for 1 cup flour.
    Semolina Crust: Substitute 2 cups semolina for 2 cups flour.
    Whole Wheat Crust: Substitute 2 cups whole wheat flour for 2 cups flour.
    Rye Crust: Substitute 1 1/2 cups Rye flour for 1 1/2 cups flour.
    Boboli Style Crust: Add 1 cup shredded mozzarella or grated Parmesan during kneading. Boboli should be shaped 1/2" thick and allowed to rise for 45 minutes rather than resting for 25 minutes. The crust can be prebaked as a pizza crust or baked completely for 15 to 18 minutes. It is great for a cold vegetable pizza.

All crust freeze well after prebaking. Just thaw the crust when needed and proceed with topping and baking.

Best Ever Pizza Sauce

1/4 cup olive oil
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    3 (1 lb) can tomatoes, chopped and undrained (about 8 cups)
    3 TBSP chopped fresh basil or 1 TBSP crushed dried basil (you can use oregano, that is what was in the recipe originally)
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp fresh course ground black pepper
    1 (6 oz) can tomato paste

1. Put the olive oil in a large, heavy pan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are transparent.
    2. Add the tomatoes, basil, sugar, salt, pepper and tomato paste. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
    3. Remove from heat and cool before using.

This freezes really well so you can have some on hand for whenever you want pizza.

Makes about 8 cups

Bread Machine Pizza Crust

1 pound makes a medium-thin 12" crust, 1 1/2 lbs will make a 15" crust, and 2 lbs will make 2 12" crusts.

Add all ingredients to the bread pan in the order given (unless your machines instructions state otherwise).

1 lb

3/4 cup warm water
    1 TBSP olive oil
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp sugar
    2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
    1 tsp dry yeast

1 1/2 lb

1 1/8 cup warm water
    1 1/2 TBSP olive oil
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tsp sugar
    3 1/3 cup all purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp dry yeast

2 lb

1 1/2 cup warm water
    2 TBSP olive oil
    2 tsp salt
    2 tsp sugar
    4 1/4 cup all purpose flour
    2 tsp dry yeast

Set machine to Dough cycle on your bread machine. When done, remove to lightly oiled surface and shape as desired. Let rest for 25 minutes then bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees as above.

I'm in! And I will probably use my 2 lb machine crust recipe and make one roasted veggie pizza with whatever veggies I have available, and one with roasted veggies and pepperoni.

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

I work three jobs and am on the road most days for over two hours, so anything with yeast just aint gonna happen in my world, unfortunately. I was on the foodnetwork Web site last nite looking for inspiration and I found this recipe that I might try. Also found a recipe for a sweet ricotta pizza, but I'll have to choose.

Pizza di Ricotta
    Courtesy of Joyce Goldstein

1 3/4 cups ricotta cheese
    1 pound boiling or baking potatoes
    1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup sliced, pitted green olives
    Freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1/4 cup grated Parmesean cheese
    1 TBLSP chopped fresh marjoram or summer savory

Spoon the ricotta into a sieve placed over a bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to drain off the liquid.

Meanwhile, if cooking the potatoes on the stove top, peel them and place in a saucepan with salted water to cover generously. Bring to a boil and boil until tender, about 30 min. Drain well and pass through a ricer or food mill placed over a bowl, or simply mash. Alternately, place baking potatoes in an oven preheated to 400 degress and bake until very soft, about 1 hour. Cut in haf and scoop out the potato flesh, passing it through a ricer or food mill or mashing it.

While the potatoes are still warm, add the flour and the salt to the potatoes and knead them in to make a firm, smooth dough, adding more flour as needed to achieve the correct consistency.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 10 inch pie plate.

On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough into an 11 inch round, about 1/4 inch thick. Carefully press it into the pie plate. Turn under the edges and press on to the plate rim. Alternatively, roll out, place on an oiled baking sheet, and fold up the edges like a pizza crust.

Sprinkle the ricotta over the crust, then distribute the olives evenly over the ricotta. Sprinkle with the pepper, parmesan cheese, and chopped herbs.

Bake until golden, 30-40 min. Remove from the oven and place on a rack to cool slightly. Serve warm cut into wedges.

I think I may have this with caponata or ratatouille and a big salad, and chocolate rugalah for dessert. I think I might try the slow cooked onions in with the ricotta and olives.

I have yet to find a caponata recipe I like, so I'm open to suggestions. Also, I wonder if I might make this recipe ahead and then bake it the next day. If this is going to be a company dinner I will definately have to do something I can make ahead, as I have a first aide class I have to attend during the day.

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

A few years ago, we took my mother's ashes down to the Valley in far south Texas, to bury her with her family in a little cemetary in San Benito. (Bear with me, this is relevant) We stayed on South Padre Island (why not?!) While we were there, my wonderful, late cousin treated us to dinner at a great restaurant on the island called Scampi's. DD and I shared a pizza that was one of the best pizzas I had ever had, if not the best. I remember it had bleu cheese, spinach, and I think mushrooms, but could have had tomatoes, also. I looked up their website, and found their pizza in the appetizer section. It's a build your own pizza, with a listing of ingredients you can choose from, so that doesn't completely help my memory. However, one interesting thing I didn't realize or remember, was that they use focaccia for the crust. Maybe that was one of the things that made it so good and so different for me. Could have been the bleu cheese, too. Anyway, I want to try to recreate this pizza. Unfortunately, I won't be able to recreate the incredible sunset we were treated to while dining. That might have been the secret ingredient that made the pizza so, so good.

I've also made a couple of Emeril's pizzas before, with variations to the recipe. (I can't help but do that.) For the one that calls for buffalo mozzarella, I subbed regular mozzarella cause that's what I had on hand. For the one that calls for mixed mushrooms, I just used white button mushrooms, again cause that's what I had. If I do this for the party, I may try mixing a few different kinds, but I just can't see spending $$$$ for mushrooms on a pizza. (Or on anything else, for that matter!) Anyway, even with the few variations to his recipes, these two pizzas were delicious.

Pizza from Naples: Pizza alla Neapoletana
    Recipe courtesy Rocco DiSpirito

1/2 ounce fresh yeast or 1 package active dry yeast
    1 cup minus 2 tablespoons lukewarm water
    2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    Pinch salt, plus 1 teaspoon
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and quartered or 6 canned San Marzano tomatoes, drained
    6 ounces mozzarella, coarsely grated
    3 whole anchovies in salt, rinsed, boned, and drained
    1 1/2 tablespoons capers, drained
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano

Preheat oven 450 degrees F.
    Dissolve yeast in water. Pour flour into a mound onto the counter. Add dissolved yeast, salt, and olive oil to center. Work in flour from outside into liquid with fork until it resembles a dough. Work in rest of flour by hand. Leave 1 tablespoon flour unincorporated. Place dough in bowl. Sprinkle with leftover flour. Cover with dishtowel. Let rest for about 1 hour at room temperature, until double in size.
    Pass tomatoes through food mill using smallest holes into small bowl. Set aside.
    When dough is ready, place heavy aluminum foil on a pizza board. Oil it with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Spread dough on foil, using fingertips to about 16 inches by 14 inches. Spread on pureed tomatoes. Sprinkle on mozzarella. Distribute anchovies and capers. Add salt, pepper, and oregano. Drizzle on remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil.
    Bake on middle shelf for 35 minutes or until crisp. Remove. Slice and serve.

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 1 minute
    Cook Time: 35 minutes
    Yield: 4 servings
    User Rating:
    No Rating
    Episode#: MP1B53
    Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

--------------------------------------------------------

Pizza Ai Funghi
    Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2006

2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    10 cups sliced assorted mushrooms
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
    1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 recipe basic pizza dough, rolled out for 2 (14-inch) pizzas, recipe follows
    Cornmeal, for dusting pizza peels
    1 pound Taleggio or fontina cheese, rind removed, coarsely grated or diced
    Kosher salt, for garnishing
    Finely grated Parmesan, for garnishing
    Chopped fresh oregano, marjoram, or parsley leaves for garnishing

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and, when hot, add the garlic and mushrooms and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until mushrooms have released their liquid and have begun to soften. Add the parsley and thyme and season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft and all liquid has been evaporated.
    While the mushrooms are cooking, preheat the oven to 500 degrees F and, if you have one, place a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven.
    Place the rolled out pizza dough onto 2 pizza peels (or on the back of 2 large baking sheets), using cornmeal to help facilitate moving the dough.
    Divide the mushrooms evenly between the 2 dough rounds and top with the grated Taleggio. Bake the pizzas, 1 at a time if necessary, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the pizzas are golden brown and crispy and the cheese is melted and golden. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with kosher salt, Parmesan, and chopped herbs, to taste. Serve immediately.

Basic Pizza Dough:
    1 package active dry yeast
    1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
    Pinch sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for coating bowl
    2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more if necessary
    Cornmeal, as necessary, for dusting pizza peel
    In a large bowl combine yeast with water and sugar and stir well to combine. Set aside until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add the salt, olive oil, and half of the flour and mix well to thoroughly combine. Add all remaining flour except 1/2 cup and mix well with your hands, working to incorporate the flour little by little. The dough should be slightly sticky to the touch. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead dough for at least 5 and up to 7 minutes, adding enough additional flour as necessary to form a smooth and elastic dough that is not sticky. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled 2 or 3-quart bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, usually at least 1 hour.
    Preheat oven to 500 degrees F and if you have one, place a pizza stone on the bottom rack of the oven.
    Divide dough into 2 portions (for 2 (12 to 14-inch) pizzas and form into balls. (See note below for calzones.) Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and cover with a damp towel. Let rest for 15 minutes, then transfer to a lightly floured surface, shape as desired and roll out to a 1/8-inch thickness. Transfer dough to a pizza peel (sprinkle with cornmeal to help facilitate moving dough) and top with toppings of choice. Transfer to the preheated pizza stone and bake until crispy and golden brown, usually12 to 18 minutes (depending on the toppings and the thickness of the crust). Remove from the oven with a metal peel or spatula and serve immediately.
    Yield: 2 (12 or 14-inch) pizzas or 4 calzones, serving 4 to 6
    Note: For calzones, divide the dough into 4 equal portions and form into 4 balls. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and cover with a damp towel. Let rest for 15 minutes, then transfer to a lightly floured surface and roll out into 4 (8-inch) circles. Place filling of choice in the center of 1 side of each circle, then fold dough over filling to meet edges of filled side. Crimp edges with a fork or your fingers, then cut a small slit in the top of the calzone to allow steam to escape while cooking. Cook on a preheated pizza stone or backs of cookie sheets in a preheated 475 degree F oven for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until well-browned. Remove from the oven with a metal peel or spatula and serve immediately.
    Yield: 4 calzones

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Medium
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 45 minutes
    Yield: 2 (14-inch) thin crust pizzas, serving 4 to 6
    User Rating:
    No Rating

Episode#: EE0913
    Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

-----------------------------------------------

I am so looking forward to this!

Sally

• pat_t
    16 years ago

I make my pizza crust in the food processor using Dave Lieberman's recipe:

BASIC PIZZA DOUGH FOR FOOD PROCESSOR

1 pkg. active dry yeast
    3/4 cup warm water, about 110° F.
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 Tblsp. extra-virgin olive oil
    1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for kneading
    1 tsp. salt

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together yeast, warm water, sugar and olive oil. Let sit for about 3 minutes to fully dissolve and activate the yeast.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour and salt.

With a rubber spatula, gradually mix the yeast mixture into the flour until just combined and dough barely holds together. Turn the dough out onto a clean counter surface dusted with flour.

Knead the dough with flour-dusted hands until the dough has become smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. The surface should be tight and silky and bounce back slightly when pressed. Lightly grease a large mixing bowl with olive oil and place the dough in it.
    Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.

Once doubled, punch the dough down and divide it into 2 equal pieces. Knead each 1 slightly to form a uniform ball. Set aside and cover them with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap to rest for 30 minutes.

Cook's Note: Dough can be made the day before and refrigerated overnight once it is divided. Keep covered tightly in plastic wrap or in a sealed food storage bag. This dough recipe works great for thick crust pizzas and calzones.

Recipe by Dave Lieberman.

HOMEMADE PIZZA SAUCE

Mix in saucepan:

1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
    2 tsp. minced garlic
    1 tsp. onion powder
    2 Tblsp. sugar
    1-1/2 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. Italian seasoning
    Pinch of cayenne
    1/3 cup olive oil

Cook on stovetop for about 20-25 minutes until flavors are melded.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Hmmmm...since Nancy mentioned refreshments, I thinking I might pick up some beer. I'm not much of a beer drinker and neither is Joe but at the Bears or Whitesox's games we will have a Heineken or 2. I also like St. Pauly Girl but not sure if it's sold any where around here.

Any suggestions for a different Beer?

Michelle

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

I'm not sure what type of beer St. Pauly Girl is, but my husband who generally hates beer loves Guinness Stout or just about any honey lager. I just checked and St. Pauly Girl is a lager.

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Michelle, I would think you could get St. Pauli Girl where you are. You guys can get pretty much anything in Chicago!
    I used to drink St. Pauli Girl, it's really good!

However, as much as pizza and beer seem to go together, I am no longer a beer drinker, so I'll pass on that! LOL

Linda

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

It does look good, doesn't it! I think I might just see if I can find some. The reason I tried it in the first place was because of the label...so cute. And I like beer in a green bottle...I know weird but hey color means everything right?

Michelle

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

I used to buy it in Wichita Falls, TX. If it's available there, it ought to be available just about anywhere!

Sally

• pat_t
    16 years ago

Love, love, love St. Pauli girl. The bottles have a ceramic resealable cap too. We used to save them, sterilize them and use them to bottle homemade vanilla and kahlua.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Sally,
    Emeril has a good focaccia recipe on the Food Network site if you want one to try to recreate the pizza you had at Scampi's.

Hmmmm...? I've always used parchment paper to bake my pizza on an oven stone. Wonder what baking on oiled foil would do? And another thing, I recently tried some "silicone coated parchment paper" that I found in a package of sheets in the store. That stuff charred much worse than the regular roll of parchment paper I usually use. I want to check out the restaurant supply house to see if they have parchment paper.

Teresa

• annie1992
    16 years ago

OK, here's my "not really pizza" pizza recipe, LOL. I might add some caramelized onions instead of leeks, depending on whether I can get leeks here. It's hit and miss with that kind of ingredient and I think onions would go well with the mushrooms. I don't care much for goat cheese, so I sub feta and I skip the butter in favor of olive oil, so it's even lower in saturated fat and a bit more heart healthy. The recipe is from Eating Well.

Rustic Mushroom Pizza

Low Calorie : Low Sodium : Low Cholesterol : Low Sat Fat : Heart Healthy : Healthy Weight

Dont let phyllo doughs fussy reputation put you off: our method of brushing olive oil and sprinkling breadcrumbs between the layers makes this tart actually quite simple to assemble, and helps keep it healthy. It can be served as a main course or cut into smaller pieces and enjoyed as an appetizer.

Makes 12 servings

3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    1/2 cup soft goat cheese (2 ounces)
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
    Freshly ground pepper to taste
    1 tablespoon butter
    4 cups mixed wild mushrooms, coarsely chopped
    1 large leek, white part only, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced and thoroughly washed
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup white wine
    10 sheets (14x18-inch) or 20 sheets (9x14-inch) thawed phyllo dough (see Timing Tip)
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs

1. Combine ricotta, goat cheese, rosemary and pepper in a medium bowl. Set aside.
    2. Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, leek and salt and cook, stirring, until the leek starts to soften and the mushrooms release their juices, about 3 minutes. Pour in wine and simmer until the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
    3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet (approximately 12 by 17 inches) with parchment paper. Lay one large sheet of phyllo on the prepared pan. (If using the smaller size, slightly overlap two sheets to form a rectangle.) Keep the remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap or wax paper and a damp kitchen towel.
    4. Lightly coat the phyllo with oil using a pastry brush. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon breadcrumbs. Repeat this step, layering the remaining phyllo on top. Carefully roll about 3/4 inch of each side toward the center to form the outer rim of the tart.
    5. Spread the reserved cheese mixture evenly over the phyllo. Top with the reserved mushroom mixture.
    6. Bake the tart until the crust is brown and crispy, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. To serve, lift the parchment paper and slide the tart onto a cutting board or large platter. Serve warm.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 234 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrate; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 364 mg sodium; 117 mg potassium.

Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Your recipe sounds good Annie. But I'm confused, how do you make a "tart" which to me is round, out of rectangle-shaped phyllo dough? Do you just make a rectangle-shaped tart? I made phyllo "roll ups" last weekend and they are just OK. I think they could have benefited from the bread crumbs in between.

I still have a half package of phyllo dough left, and I can see myself making this tart even before the pizza party. I do want to try those onion in the crockpot.

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

TTT

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

And this was made on Giada today and looked fabulous for an appetizer! And if someone does not want to make pizza for dinner, they could make a Pizzette as an appetizer.

Pizzettes with Caramelized Onions, Goat Cheese, and Prosciutto

3 tablespoons olive oil
    3 large onions, sliced (about 4 cups)
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon herbs de Provence
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 ball purchased pizza dough (about 12 to 16 ounces)
    3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
    2 to 3 ounces prosciutto (about 5 large slices), cut into 2 by 2-inch pieces
    Parsley or rosemary sprigs, for garnish
    Special equipment: 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter

In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil over low heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, herbs de Provence, and sugar. Stir to combine. Continue cooking over very low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized and dark golden brown, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
    Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.

Roll out the pizza dough into a 1/4-inch-thick round. Using the cookie cutter, cut out 24 dough circles. Arrange the circles on a large heavy baking sheet. Place a small spoonful of the caramelized onions on each dough circle. Top with a small amount of goat cheese. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 10 minutes.

While still hot, top each pizzette with a piece of prosciutto. Arrange on a serving platter and garnish with sprigs of parsley or rosemary. Serve immediately.

Michelle

• annie1992
    16 years ago

L, that "tart" is indeed a rectangle, you just fold up the edges. The breadcrumbs between the layers of phyllo make it crunchier, and give it flavor. I used my homemade honey wheat crumbs because that's what I had last time. This is what it looked like:

{{gwi:1478688}}

Annie

• booberry85
    16 years ago

Thought you might like this quote & another recipe of course - a diet blower for sure!

"My idea of feng shui is to have them arrange the pepperoni in a circle on my pizza." Unknown

Pizza Pie

This is a slightly different variation. This has two crusts like a pie. This is very rich and filling.

Ingredients

1 recipe of pizza dough, divided
    Flour
    1-2 cans pizza sauce
    1 lb part skim mozzarella, grated (I like part skim), 1 cup reserved
    2-3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
    2-3 tablespoons Romano cheese
    Italian seasoning (or mix ½ teaspoon oregano, ½ teaspoon basil, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder and ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper)
    Topping suggestions (pepperoni, Italian sausage, mini meatballs, ground beef, onions, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, fried eggplant, fried zucchini, mushrooms, olives, etc.)

On a floured surface, roll out ½ of the pizza dough into a 12 inch round. Grease a pie plate. Place the 12 inch round into the pie plate, allowing some of the dough to go over the pie plate edges. Spread ⅓ of the pizza sauce on the dough. Layer with cheeses (reserving the 1 cup mozzarella) and toppings and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. The toppings should not overflow the pie plate. Youll want them to fill to ½ inch below the top of the pie plate. Spread another ⅓ of the pizza sauce on top.

Roll out the other half of the dough to cover the pie. Place on top of the pie and crimp the edges to seal. Spread the other ⅓ of the pizza sauce on top of second crust and cover with remaining mozzarella. Bake at 400 degrees F for 45 minutes.

• riverrat1
    16 years ago

Annie thanks for that recipe. Now I'm able to join you all in the Pizza Party if I use this recipe. Trying to watch the girlie waist line....

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Here is my BIL's pizza sauce recipe. Well, he actually calls it a method not a recipe. Enough for 12-15 pizzas so make it once and freeze. OH - and the claim is no heartburn with this method.

Michael's Pizza Sauce
    3 Cans Plum Tomatoes
    1 Large Onion
    5 Cloves Garlic
    1 Tsp. each oregano, basil, thyme and crushed red pepper (optional)

Saute onions until just translucent and add garlic for 1 minute. Add tomato juice only. Boil and simmer 10 minutes. Cube tomatoes and add. Add seasoning..

Bring to a boil, lower and simmer 10 minutes. Add dash a sugar and taste to season. Cool long and slow.

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Michael's Pizza Sauce: I should add that the onions are sauteed in olive oil and that it is 10-12 pizzas.

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I need to figure out what kind of pizza I'm going to make...every recipe here sounds great.

Nancy

• flamingo1121
    16 years ago

Linda_LI in WFD #260 reminded me of this recipe for her Mardi Gras pizza party table...Muffaletta Pizza. Perfect for Mardi Gras theme.

My DH makes pretty good pizza so I am hoping to coax him into doing some on 2/2. If not maybe I will be adventure-some and try.

• KatieC
    16 years ago

Yum, we may be eating pizza quite often.

I hope non-recipes are ok...I don't exactly have recipes for our favorite pizzas. I've been making my "regular" ("Make your regular pizza, Mom.") vegie pizza for 30 years and have never written the sauce recipe down.

I use this dough:

1 pkg. yeast
    1 c. warm water
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. olive oil
    3 3 1/2 c. flour (1/2 w/w and 1/2 white flour)

I toss it all in the bread machine or mix it in the KitchenAid. Let rise, punch down and press in a large oiled pizza pan or baking sheet. DH likes it bread-ey so I let it raise a half hour or so, then prebake for 8-10 minutes.

The sauce: (I use the palm of my hand to measure, so measurements are approximate.) Simmer 2 c. tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes, 1 1/2 - 2 tsp. each oregano and rosemary, 1/2 - 1 tsp. granulated garlic, 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, and a pinch of brown sugar if the tomatoes are acidic. Simmer until thick, spread on crust. Sauce will seem too spicy, but once it's spread out it's fine.

Top with diced onion and green pepper, sliced mushrooms and black olives, (POOFed) roasted garlic cloves and spinach leaves or chopped broccoli, then lots of shredded mozzarella. Bake @ 375F until cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.

This is another favorite and again I have no real recipe for the sauce. I keep boboli bread crusts in the freezer and use leftover roasted chicken for a quick dinner.

Thai Chicken Pizza

Sauce: Sometimes I doctor storebought peanut sauce, but from scratch:

1/2 c. peanut butter
    2-3 tbsp. soy sauce
    1-2 tsp. molasses or brown sugar
    1 tsp. sesame oil
    1 tbsp. fish sauce
    red curry paste to taste
    a touch of rice vinegar
    fresh grated ginger (powdered works)
    2-3 cloves minced garlic

Spread on boboli or baked crust. Top with cooked chicken, green or red onions, water chestnuts, shredded carrot. Maybe some bean sprouts or red bell pepper or a few jalapenos. Top with shredded mozzarella and sprinkle with peanuts. Bake @ 400F until cheese is bubbly.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Katie, that Thai pizza sounds good! Might try that one for myself.

I forgot all about making a dessert pizza..I'll have to do that too! Now to do cookie crust or brownie...hmmmm.....
    If I could find some good strawberries..it'll be brownie..

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

I would love to participate but as I stated previously, I am "kind of" iffy on making my own pizza dough. I love pizza and want so badly to make it well but haven't found enough time to make it exactly (or perfect it) how I like. At any rate - I'm going to throw this in here as I saw this show quite a few years ago and saved it thinking that I would try as it looked sooooo good. Maybe someone will give it a shot?

Pizza Dough Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

Recipe SummaryDifficulty: Medium Yield: 3 pizza crusts
    1 package active dry yeast
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 cup warm water
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    Extra-virgin olive oil
    3 cups 00 flour, plus more for dusting

In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the yeast, sugar, and warm water; stir gently to dissolve. Let the mixture stand until the yeast comes alive and starts to foam, about 5 to 10 minutes. Turn the mixer on low and add the salt and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the flour, a little at a time, mixing at the lowest speed until all the flour has been incorporated. When the dough starts to come together, increase the speed to medium; stop the machine periodically to scrape the dough off the hook. Get a feel for the dough by squeezing a small amount together: if it's crumbly, add more water; if it's sticky, add more flour - 1 tablespoon at a time. Mix until the dough gathers into a ball, this should take about 5 minutes. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and fold it over itself a few times; kneading until it's smooth and elastic. Form the dough into a round and place in a lightly oiled bowl, turn it over to coat. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let it rise in a warm spot (i.e. over a gas pilot light) until doubled in size, about 1 hour. This is a good time to stick a pizza stone in the oven and preheat them to 500 degrees F. Once the dough is domed and spongy, turn it out onto a lightly floured counter. Roll and stretch the dough into a cylinder and divide into 3 equal pieces. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes so it will be easier to roll out. Roll or pat out a piece of dough into a 12 inch circle, about 1/8-inch thick. Dust a pizza paddle with flour and slide it under the pizza dough. Brush the crust with a thin layer of olive oil, and top with your favorite flavors. Slide the pizza onto the hot stone in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the crust is golden and crisp. Repeat with the remaining dough.

Clams Casino Pizza Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
    Recipe SummaryDifficulty: Medium Yield: 3 pizzas User Rating: No Rating
    1 recipe Pizza Dough
    2 dozen large hard-shell clams, such as cherrystone or chowder clams
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 bay leaves
    1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 medium vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
    2 fresh oregano sprigs, leaves striped from the stem
    1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
    1/2 pound bacon strips, sliced
    1/2 cup freshly grated pecorino
    1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped

Make the pizza dough as directed in the master recipe. Stick a pizza stone in the oven and preheat them to 500 degrees F. Wash and scrub clams well to remove the exterior sand. Fill a steamer or pot with 1-inch of water, add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and toss in the bay leaves. Heat until the water is simmering and then add the clams. Cover and steam for 5 to 10 minutes until the clams open - discard any that do not. Remove the clams from the shells, coarsely chop them up, and put in a bowl. Add the lemon juice, a drizzle of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper; set aside. Coat a saute pan with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and place over medium heat. When the oil gets hazy, add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, tomatoes, and oregano. Cook and stir until the vegetables have cooked down and are really soft, about 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat. Spread the ricotta evenly on the crust with a back of a spoon. Scatter the chopped clams all around and top with the sauteed red pepper mixture. Distribute the pieces of bacon on top. Slide the pizza onto the hot stone in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the crust is golden and crisp, and the cheese is bubbly. Before cutting the pizza into slices, drizzle with olive oil, grate pecorino on top, and shower with chopped parsley.

Pizza with Sugo Sauce, Buffalo Mozzarella, and Fresh Basil Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

Recipe SummaryDifficulty: Medium Yield: 3 pizzas User Rating:
    1 recipe Pizza Dough
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup large pitted green Spanish olives, such as Manzanilla, chopped
    2 tablespoons capers, drained
    1/2 bunch fresh basil leaves, hand torn
    2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, drained and hand crushed
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1(8-ounce) ball fresh buffalo mozzarella, water drained

Make the pizza dough as directed in the master recipe. Stick a pizza stone in the oven and preheat them to 500 degrees F. Coat a saute pan with the olive oil and place over medium heat. When the oil gets hazy, add the onion and garlic, cook and stir for 5 minutes to soften. Add the olives, capers, and some hand torn basil. Carefully add the tomatoes (nothing splashes like tomatoes), cook and stir until the liquid is cooked down and the sauce is thick, about 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper and then take it off the stove. Spread the sugo sauce evenly on the crust with a ladle. Rip the mozzarella into pieces with your hands and distribute them on top; scatter some basil leaves all around. Slide the pizza onto the hot stone in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the crust is golden and crisp, and the cheese is bubbly. Garnish with even more fresh basil before serving.

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

Don't know if I'll be around to play, but here's a terrific sauce recipe somebody might like to try. Found it on one of the big cooking websites. It has a lot more ingredients than most, but we think it's really special. I'm having a senior moment here. Haven't made this in several months, but it seems like it's enough for 2 large pizzas.

Pizza Sauce

2 T. olive oil
    1 T. butter
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    1/4 c. diced celery (I promise you won't even know it's there, but it adds a lot of flavor)
    1 minced garlic clove (or more, to taste)
    1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
    1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
    2 - 3 T. grated Parmesan
    1 tsp. dried basil (fresh is even better -- about a T.)
    1 tsp. dried oregano
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. sugar
    1 bay leaf
    black pepper, to taste (several generous grinds)
    1 tsp. fennel (A lot of people would consider this the key ingredient, but we just don't like fennel, so I omit. Heresy, I know...)

Set eye on 'medium'. Heat olive oil and butter until butter melts. Add onion, celery and garlic; sautee until veggies are translucent and very tender. Add tomato sauce and paste, stirring until mixture is smooth. Add remaining ingredients, stirring well again. When it begins to bubble, lower the heat and let sauce simmer gently until it reaches the consistency you like. (Original recipe said up to an hour, but I doubt you'll need to cook it more than 30 minutes, if that long.)

Oh, and if anybody's ever in Memphis, I'll take you to Coletta's for BBQ pizza. You haven't lived until you've tasted that!!

sm

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Here are some Pizza ideas. They come from one of my favorite websites.

Apple Crisp Pizza
    Fruit Pizza
    Chocolate Macaroon Pizza

and some of her other pizza ideas.
    BBQ Ham Pizza
    French Bread Pizza
    Grilled Pizza
    Barbecue Chicken Pizza

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

Terri, I saw the Apple Crisp Pizza recipe and though "I have to make that because my family loves apple crisp!" and so I looked at the recipe prepared to print it out. I don't have to, I usually call that Rustic Apple Tart, and there is one already made in my freezer just waiting to be baked! I guess we will have it Saturday. Thank you so much for posting that, I never would have thought of my tart as pizza!

Joanne

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Oh they all sound so good and so interesting. I'll be joining in for sure but likely with my good old stand by.

Maybe I'll change it up a bit and go Greek (feta, olives, purple onion, tomatoes, oregano) but that's about as racy as "himself" will let me get with pizza! LOL

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Joanne, No problem..glad it jogged your memory!

Sharon..Greek "salad" pizza sounds really good too...
    hmmmmmmmmmm

• Lars
    16 years ago

Since I don't use packages of yeast, I thought it would be appropriate to remind everyone of the equivalent substitutions for yeast. I use Instant Dry Yeast (aka IDY).

* To substitute instant or bread machine yeast for active dry yeast, use 25% less instant yeast than active dry.
    * A .6-oz cube of cake yeast is roughly equivalent to 1-1/2 to 2 tsp. instant yeast or 2 to 2-1/4 tsp. active dry yeast.

Here's my pizza dough recipe. It's different from the focaccia recipe I use. Unfortunately, my oven does not get as hot as it should, and I have better luck cooking pizza outside on the BBQ. Lately it's been too cold to cook outside, since the temperatures have not gotten out of the 50s in the past few days, but at least it has stopped raining. I might try to brave the cold and cook outside on Saturday anyway - even though it's only supposed to be 60°.

I've noticed that I have the sauté mushrooms before putting them on pizzas or else the crust gets soggy.

Lars

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Okay, I think I have finalized what I am making Saturday. I am having two other couples over for our pizza party, so not sure when I'll get to post results.

Chicken & Garlic Pizza with Fontina
    Veggie Alfredo Pizza with Provolone & Mozzarella
    Pepperoni & Onion Pizza with Mozarella

I'll probably do a small mixed green salad, and lots of beer and wine!

Not sure about dessert, yet, if any. We are not really big dessert eaters.

So do you all have your menus figured out?

Linda

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Just us so far but I may invite another couple....

I just gave Clive a choice of a few different pizzas and he , ever the adventurous one, chose pepperoni, mushrooms and sweet peppers....and too be really racey...double cheese!

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

Well, my husband is a party pooper! I did not even think about Sunday being Superbowl Sunday. Our family tradition for Superbowl Sunday is....you guessed it! Pizza! So I have to make pizza Sunday. But we will join the celebration with a dessert pizza. Terri's Apple Crisp Pizza (AKA Rustic Apple Tart). My version is almost identical to Terri's with three exceptions: 1. I use only butter in the crust, no shortening. 2. I use brown sugar in the apples not white. and 3. I use 1/2 cup rolled oats, not 1/3 cup.

Apple Crisp Pizza with a Latte on Saturday, and veggie pizza with a glass of Lambrusco on Sunday. Sounds like it is going to be a great weekend... even if there are 10" of new snow on the ground!

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

Jcrowley, you won't be alone on Sunday - I'm waiting till then to do mine. I decided it would be more fun and less stressful not to do it after work tomorrow. (Saturdays are my Fridays.)

I was thinking of trying some kind of fruit pizza that wasn't as sweet as the ones I've had in the past, with the cream cheese and tons of sugar. I thought there must be a way to make one with apples or pears, and have it sort of like a bready, pie-ish kind of thing, and y'all have supplied the answer. Thanks. I don't know yet what I'm going to put on my pizza, but I'm sure there'll be onions and mushrooms. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. I can't wait! DH was supposed to call a co-worker and invite her and her SO, but never got around to it. I hope he did, and they can come. Otherwise, DH and I will enjoy our pizzas and watch the Super bowl, (maybe) and try to decide who to root for.

Have fun, everybody!

Sally

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

Thanks Sally, I feel better now! We'll be having 2 pizzas on Sunday. One thin stuffed crust (just halve mozzarella sticks, place them along the edge of the crust that is about 2" bigger than you want, then fold the crust over and seal it. Just like Pizza Hut.) with ham, sausage, ground beef, pepperoni, and bacon (ick!) and one a thicker crust with green and red peppers, red onion, mushrooms (canned), diced tomato, and black olive, plus sausage and pepperoni on about 1/3 of it. Yum! I do love pizza!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I'm thinking we might wait until Sunday too.

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Well, Sharon your guy is more adventurous than mine! (Scott is in France - so I'm talking about Will...)

He has requested pepperoni and sausage.

He does want to make a dessert pizza though. I think we will do Linda's recipe.

We are planning an evening of it...just the two of us. He was so jealous that he didn't participate in our virtual dinner last February for our anniversary so he and I may get out the nice china and sit in the dining room eating our pepperoni pizza - lol.

Still trying to decide if I'll do a small "something different" just for me...:-)

Stacy

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

This is very easy and very good! It's from an old Pampered Chef party!

Fantastic Focaccia Bread Pizza
    pizza dough (I used from the pizza place, you can even use the canned, not bad)
    2 cloves garlic, pressed
    2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
    1 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese, divided
    2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
    3 firm plum tomatoes, sliced thin
    Preheat oven to 375*F.
    Roll pizza crust into a 12-inch circle on 13-inch baking stone using a lightly floured pizza roller or rolling pin. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork before adding toppings. Press garlic using a garlic press; spread garlic evenly over crust. Sprinkle half of Romano cheese (1/2 cup) over crust. Sprinkle with 1-cup mozzarella cheese and 1 teaspoon oregano. Arrange tomatoes in single layer over cheese.
    Top with remaining mozzarella cheese and oregano. Sprinkle remaining Romano cheese over top. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Cut into squares; serve hot.

• kent4489
    16 years ago

I made something a little "different". Meyer lemon pizza. Below is the recipe as I found it on a blog. I did not use the dough recipe as I had some of "Monique's 5 minute bread" dough in the fridge, so used that.

Basic Foccacia Bread/Pizza Dough

1 pkg. yeast
    1 t. sugar
    2 cups very warm water (like for a bath)
    5 cups flour (I use 3 cups all-purpose and 2 cups bread flour)
    2 t. Kosher salt, plus more to sprinkle on top
    2 T. olive oil, plus more for the top

In the bowl of a electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, stir the yeast, water, and sugar together. Let the mixture stand for about 5 minutes; it should be fizzy on top. Add the flour, salt, and olive oil. Knead with the dough hook for several minutes. The dough should come together in a ball and start trying to climb out of the bowl. Let it knead like this for a few more minutes. Knead with your hands for a minute more, working out any knots of flour. (A trick here: coat your hands with olive oil.) The dough should feel smooth and elastic. Return to the bowl, cover, and let it rise in a warm place (I put it in my pantry) for at least an hour. At this point, you have a few options: get it ready to bake, refrigerate if youre planning to use within a few days, or freeze it for a later use.

To bake as focaccia: divide the dough in half and form into rounds. Place on cookie sheets and allow to rest for about 15 minutes, covered. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Dimple the dough with your fingers, drizzle olive oil on top, and spinkle with Kosher salt (and chopped rosemary if you so desire). Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the top is just beginning to turn golden.

For the Meyer Lemon Pizza:

2 Meyer lemons, thinly sliced and seeds removed
    4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    2 jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 sprigs rosemary, minced
    Zest of one lemon
    Olive oil
    Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the lemon slices. Cook for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally until the rinds begin to soften. Add the pepper slices and garlic, and cook for 10 minutes more, or until the garlic and pepper are very soft. Stir frequently to make sure the garlic doesnt brown.

Spread one half of the dough thinly over a cookie sheet, stretching it with your hands. You may have to be forceful, but try not to tear it or leave any holes. Drizzle the dough with olive oil, salt, the crushed garlic, lemon zest, and minced rosemary. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, and spread the lemon topping evenly over the dough. Grate Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup?) evenly over the pizza. Bake for 10 minutes more.

Refrigerate the other half of the dough, freeze it, or bake it as bread to have the rest of the week.

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Here are the recipes I used for pizza sauce on my pepperoni pizza and also for the chicken pizza.

Pizza Sauce
    source Cooking Light 9/06

Cooking Spray
    1/4 c finley chopped onion
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/4 c dry white wine
    2 T tomato paste
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
    1 T chopped fresh basil
    1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar

Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan and saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic to pan and saute 30 seconds. Stir in wine, cook 30 seconds. Add tomato paste, oregano, pepper and tomatoes. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat, stir in basil and vinegar. Cool. Yield: 1-1/3 cups of sauce.

Chicken Alfredo Pizza 1 c shredded, cooked chicken breast 1 c fresh spinach, chopped 2 tsp lemon juice 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp black pepper 1 galic clove. minced 12 inch pizza crust 1/2 c bottled alfredo sauce 3/4 c shredded fontina cheese Preheat oven to 400F. Combine chicken, spinach, lemon juice, salt & pepper and toss together. Spread minced garlic over unbaked pizza crust, top with alfredo sauce, then chicken/spinach mixture, then cheese. Bake 12\-15 minutes or until crust is crisp and cheese is golden brown. Cut into 8 wedges and serve. Linda
  • hawk307
    16 years ago

Had to bump this back because I don't think the Pizza Party is over.
    I was reading thru all the threads.
    Doesn't anybody realize that most of the pizza dough recipes are basic???
    Everybody has a recipe from a TV Show,
    Famous Cook, Grandmom, old Cook books , etc.
    Most of them are Basically the same.
    Some are half the recipe of others but the same.
    Just trying to point out something that may have not been noticed.
    Mine is really the best but it the same as others.
    LOU

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Sharon, here is the crust recipe I used. It's from Cooking Light September 2006

Basic Pizza Dough

2 tsp honey
    2-1/4 tsp active dry yeast
    3/4 c warm water
    2-3/4 c AP flour, divided
    1/2 tsp salt
    Cooking Spray
    2T yellow cornmeal

Dissolve honey and yeast in water in a large bowl. Let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly. Lightly spoon floour into measuring cups, level with a knife. Add 2 cups flour and salt to yeast mixture, stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic (about 6 minutes). Add enough remaining flour 1 T at a time to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough should feel slightly sticky).

Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.

Roll dough into a 12 inch circle about 1/4 inch thick on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on a rimless baking sheet or stone dusted with cornmeal. Lightly crimp edges with fingers to form a rim.

Lightly spray surface of dough with cooking spray, cover with plaxtic wrap. Place dough in refrigerator for up to 30 minutes. Add toppings and bake according to recipe directions.

Linda

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Recipe used for the Strawberry Pizza.

BLUEBERRY CHEESECAKE PIZZA

Introduction
    Double the dough part for thicker cookie crust. Can use other fruits for filling.

Crust:
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup powdered sugar
    1/2 cup melted butter

Creamy Filling:
    1 8oz. package of cream cheese, softened
    1 14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Fruit Top:
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2 tbls cornstarch
    1/2 cup water
    3 pints Blueberries
    Combine flour and powdered sugar; add butter, mixing well. Pat dough out in a 14 inch pizza pan; bake at 350F for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

Combine cream cheese, condensed milk, lemon juice and vanilla; mix well and spread on cooled crust. Chill.

Combine sugar and cornstarch in a large saucepan; add water, mixing until smooth. Cook over medium heat until thickened (about 5 minutes) stirring constantly. Add blueberries. Cool completely.

Spread blueberry mixture over cream cheese layer; chill, cut into wedges to serve.

Yield: 8-10 servings

Note:
    I used 2 qts of frozen strawberries. Combined 1C of sugar, 1/3 C of cornstarch and 1/2 C of water then added the partially thawed strawberries. Cook until thickened.

Nancy

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks Linda, it looked so nice and flat in the picture mine tends to "poof" especially on the edges