SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gellchom

help! Dinner guest JUST told me no dairy, gluten, meat, or fish!

gellchom
10 years ago

AGGGGHHHH! Why, oh WHY, do people do this?

We live at the short end of a long block; there are only 4 houses on our end. Two have new occupants as of this summer. We already liked "FIora" a lot, we absolutely fell in love with our new next-door neighbors ("Ginger" and her husband and family), and the new lady on the corner ("Zelda") and her daughter seem delightful, too. So Ginger and I decided it would be fun to have a casual supper for everyone -- no big deal, it's just 4 women, 2 men, and 2 girls. Flora and Zelda liked the idea and we chose this Saturday night (day after tomorrow). This was, like SIX WEEKS AGO.

Ginger's husband and daughter are picky eaters, and our house (the venue) is kosher --that's what I figured would be our challenges. But no big deal -- we figured fish and pasta or a cheese dish or something like that. Flora offered to make her famous double-rich brownies.

HAHAHAHAHA.

Ginger called Zelda today to confirm. Zelda mentioned oh-by-the-way she can't eat gluten, she and her daughter are both allergic to dairy, and they are vegetarian. No fish, in case you were wondering.

Doesn't this seem like something she might have mentioned a few weeks ago? Good thing Ginger called her. Ginger says she is .... interesting.

Okay, three deep breaths. Now, what to make? Of course I'm turning to YOU. Ginger is making salad and a gluten-free dessert to go along with Flora's brownies, and Zelda will bring a fruit salad. I can stick with my planned vegetable side of garlic roasted green beans, and maybe some sort of gluten-free grain dish depending on what the main will be. I'll just have some buttered pasta for Ginger's picky eaters, so I don't have to worry about that.

So far, all I've come up with are:

veggie chili (need your best dairy-and-gluten-free recipe)

roasted squash and tofu (from NYT recently; we had it this week and loved it. http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1015879/sweet-and-spicy-roasted-tofu-and-squash.html)

and ... umm ... that's it. Veggie and tofu stir fries are kind of hard for 8 people, but I suppose that's an option, too.

I know you are the ones to ask. Please, please help me before I have to go to the grocery store tomorrow! Thanks in advance. You are my heroes.

This post was edited by gellchom on Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 23:15

Comments (20)