Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
uses for mini Shredded Wheat

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 30, 11 at 15:16

DH got on a mini-shredded wheat kick. I found it on sale, and stocked up. He lost his appetite for it. Now I'm stuck with about 4 1/2 boxes of mini shredded wheat. Any ideas of what I can do with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: uses for mini Shredded Wheat

My younger DS did the same thing..... I found this recipe for Banana Raisin Wheat Muffins, maybe we can both use up the excess this way!

Banana-Raisin Wheat Muffins
Print Prep Time:15 min.Total Time:35 min.Makes:12 servings(1 muffin per serving)

Ingredients
1 cup Post Original Shredded Wheat Spoon Size Cereal 1 cup fat-free milk 1-1/4 cups flour 1 Tbsp. baking powder 1/4 tsp. salt 1 egg 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 large) 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar 2 Tbsp. margarine, melted 1/2 cup raisins
Directions
PREHEAT oven to 400ºF. Mix cereal and milk in large bowl; let stand 5 min. Meanwhile, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. Add egg, bananas, sugar and margarine to cereal mixture; mix well. Add flour mixture; stir just until moistened. (Batter will be lumpy.) Stir in raisins. SPOON evenly into 12 medium muffin cups sprayed with cooking spray, filling each cup 2/3 full. BAKE 20 min. or until golden brown. Let stand in pan 5 min. Remove to wire rack. Cool slightly.
Tips & Suggestions
How to Store Muffins: Keep leftover muffins fresh by freezing for up to 6 months. Cool muffins completely; place in freezer-weight resealable plastic bag. Seal bag; freeze. Thaw at room temperature. If desired, reheat in microwave just until warmed. Nutrition Bonus: You're sure to "go bananas" for these satisfying low-fat muffins!

o

I'd use it as the oatmeal in an oatmeal sort of bread.

o

I'd drizzle melted butter over it, salt it and eat it like popcorn.

o

The link below has a bunch of recipes using mini Shredded Wheat. Check the web site of the brand you are using for more recipes.

Shredded Wheat Bread - from the Kansas Wheat Commission
http://www.kswheat.com/recipes.php?id=127

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Food.com Shredded Wheat Recipes

o

Whiz it in the food processor and use like bread crumbs.
Mix with butter, sugar and press into pie pan for a graham cracker type crust.
Fish or veggie coating (dip in egg first).
The butter and salt idea sounds good too!
Worst case......feed the birds.

Deanna

o

Many thanks, all. What wonderful ideas for using up all this shredded wheat! GL, I never thought of searching food.com for recipes. Some of those sounded really interesting. The office may be getting LOTS of treats!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here