Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SOS - how long to bake this bread?

Posted by goldgirl (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 10, 11 at 14:53

I'm using a Zo bread machine to make dough using one of the booklet recipes, but want to bake it in the oven instead of the machine. What temp and for how long?

The ingredients are 4-1/4 c bread flour, 1-1/2 c water, 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp sugar, 1-1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp basil, 2 tsp yeast.

Thanks!

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SOS - how long to bake this bread?

Not being an expert, but being a pretty good bread baker and one who like to experiment, start with half an hour at 400 degrees F and see how it looks. The difinitive test is when the internal temperature of the loaf taken with an instant read thermometer is 210 degrees F. Good luck.

Steve

o

Are you baking all as one loaf or splitting into two?

If one: I'd think it's going to take around 40 minutes.
If two: Probably closer to 25.

Check after 20 and tap to see if it sounds hollow and is browning nicely. If not, bake another 5-10 minutes and just keep checking on it.

Deanna

o

Are you panning it or free-form? If you are panning it, I'd make two loaves because it will probably yield over 2-pounds of dough and you would need a Jumbo-size pan - 10x4-1/2-inches for that amount of dough. If it makes closer to 2-pounds of dough, use a 9x5-inch pan, which are normally used for quick breads.

I agree with Deanna on baking time. I agree with Steve on the 210-degree internal temperature, especially if you are making a single, very large, free-form loaf (that's a lot of dough). If panned, somewhere between 195- and 210-degrees, whether you make one or two loaves.

The next choice is what kind of crust do you want? Baking breads at lower temperatures (325-350) creates a thicker, chewier crust. Higher temperatures (375-425) produces thinner, crisper crusts. Adjust the baking time according to the temperature.

-Grainlady

o

Thank you!

I baked this recipe recently in the machine, and decided to try it again using the oven, to see if I like it better. Of course, today it didn't rise very well. So, I took out the dough, kneaded it a few minutes, and have it rising again.

Thanks for pointing out that I should divide the dough, as I didn't really realize the difference in size between the machine pan and my pans!

o

Goldgirl-

A common bread-making mistake - putting the incorrect amount of dough into the pan. A quick reference for you that may be helpful... :-)

Jumbo Size Pan - 10 x 4-1/2-inches - 4-5 c. flour in the recipe - 2+ pounds of dough

Quick Bread Pan - 9x5-inches - 4 c. flour - 2-pounds dough

Standard Pan - 8-1/2 x 4-1/2" - 3 c. flour - 1-1/2-pound

Medium Pan - 7-1/2 x 3-1/2" - 2-1/2 c. flour - 1-pound

Small Pan - 5-3/4 x 3-3/4" - 1-1/2 c. flour - 8-ounces

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here