Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crullers!

Posted by debrak2008 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 14:48

I made crullers for the first time trying to duplicate how my Grandmother made them.

Here is the recipe.

photo 009_zps06065add.jpg

My mother told me what she could remember. The hardest part was finding pure lard. Finally found Morrell snow cap lard which while not completely pure, its the best that was available.

Prep

photo 002-Copy_zps29931b80.jpg

I learned lard melts fast and doesn't smell good, at least to me.

photo 003_zps17d4f928.jpg

Mixing

photo 004_zpsd261e04d.jpg

I had no easy way to determine the temp of the oil so some cooked faster than others. The first ones started out 6" but I quickly found that to be too big to handle.

photo 005_zps1baa71ba.jpg

First ones out of the pot.

photo 006_zps44dcb922.jpg

After cooled completely I put 50/50 granulated sugar and confectionary sugar in a lunch paper bag. Added a few at a time and shook. Also did some with some cinnamon added to the sugar.

They were delicious and the lard really makes the taste. Everyone at the family party on Sunday really enjoyed them. Now considering buying a deep fryer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crullers!

Congratulations! So glad that you reported the results.

o

Yum, Debrak, I sure wouldn't turn one of those down. I'm happy that they turned out well for you, and that your family enjoyed them.

I don't have a deep fryer, BTW. All the ones tested and reviewed just don't get hot enough or stay consistent enough. I fry in a deep cast iron dutch oven, it holds the heat well but you have to have a good thermometer.

Annie

o

I know my grandmother cooked on gas and used a cast iron skillet. I have a glass top electric and can't use cast iron. I used a pot instead of a pan as I didn't want hot oil splattering out.

Are there special thermometers for oil? While not perfect I would think a somewhat decent deep fryer would be more consistent and hotter than what I can do in my pot.

I'll have to think about the deep fryer thing.

Any suggestions about future cruller making are appreciated. I wish I could share crullers with everyone here!

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 9:51

o

I don't deep fry often, but when I do, I use a wok. The bottom is narrow enough to get enough depth of oil without too much oil and the flaring sides catch most of the splatters.

I use a thermapen to monitor the temp often or use a digital thermometer that holds onto the side of the pan (sometimes that gets in the way which is why I use the thermapen). If I fried more often, I'd probably be able to tell the temp well enough by the way the oil and food in it was behaving.

o

I just have a candy thermometer that I clip to the side of the pan, it's a Taylor and I paid less than $10 for it, but it works fine.

Annie

o

I know that cookbook

There are at least two different editions here.

That recipe is the one my mother used also

o

Debrak, I am literally craving one of those crullers right now they look fabulous. Since you said you were thinking of purchasing a deep fryer I figured I'd give you thoughts on mine. We deep fry turkeys every year for Thanksgiving. We used to use one of those big deep pots on top of a flame connected to a propane tank. A few years ago we decided to invest in a butterball/masterbuilt indoor electric turkey fryer. We use it in the garage, but it is safe for indoor use. It does a great job and while we almost never fry foods, we do occasionally make chicken wings in it and it has worked really well for that. It does only heat to 375 which would meet your needs for the crullers but maybe not for everything. I don't know what other home fryers can be set to. One plus is it can be used as a steamer also if you fill it with water instead of oil, I have not tried this function though. While it is around $100 at most stores, I did a quick check of completed listings on ebay and have seen new ones go for as low as $50, so deals can be had.

o

Here is a photo of the cover of the cookbook.

photo 001_zps3c100e33.jpg

Is this your book twoyur? I dropped the book of this week to be repaired. The cover is completely off. The place is going to replace the cover and try to replicate the look of it. They will save the original cover for me to keep. I feel bad about the original cover being replaced but the book is not useable like it is. The pages will soon start to fall out if not repaired properly. The book was published for 1939 - 1943.

Thanks for the tips about the thermometers, wok, and deep fryer. A $10 thermometer might be a good place to start.

Melissa, I know deep fryer turkeys is very popular. We have a wood pellet grill that we do our turkeys on.

o

I know how much effort (and how many miles :-) you put into those crullers - they look delicious and I'm so glad everyone enjoyed them.

I have that same yellow Pyrex bowl - I swear everything tastes better made in those vintage bowls.

Re: deep fryers - we have a Waring Pro as we do deep fry a couple of times a month (fries, doughnuts, fish, chicken). Ours is 7 years old, still works like a champ and I've been really happy with it. Also uses very little oil. Everything except the control panel/heating element fits in the dishwasher, so cleanup is very easy. I know ours is long discontinued, but I'll have to go look and see the comparable model for sale these days.

Again, congratulations on the crullers :-)

o

Malna, funny about that yellow bowl. When we first moved in our house over 25 years ago we had been married 1 1/2 years. About a month after moving in I hosted an informal baby shower for my SIL. Many people brought food. At the end that bowl was left. We asked everyone and they all said it wasn't theirs. I have kept it and use it regularly. I will pass that bowl on to my DD.

o

Haven't had crullers in years. They look and sound wonderful! For frying crullers, I think you could get away with an electric fry pan. I've done egg rolls in one although I agree a wok is good…not the electric wok a regular one.

o

Debra, I have a copy of this book, only mine is in pristine condition and seems not to have been used much, if at all. I think it's a pity because there are some really nice recipes in it.

The crullers look nice and I bet they tasted heavenly with the lard. They are much lighter in colour than the ones I am used to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crullers

o

Debra I wouldn't mind one of your crullers with my morning coffee.

Also, I deep fry in a cast iron pot, on a glass top range. I use my cast iron often. It has never been a problem.

~Ann

o

Some of them came out darker. The photo was the first batch. After that I made them smaller so they didn't break apart. I think a thermometer would make them come out more even.

I always thought cast iron on a glass top was a no no. I have some scratches on the surface now and I don't know where they came from. Something to check into!

o

"I have a glass top electric and can't use cast iron."

I am so surprised to see that so often. I'm with Ann. I've been using cast iron on my glass top for years and never had a problem.

o

I used to have some cast iron pans when I had an old coil top electric range. I have since gotten rid of these pans but I remember them being somewhat rough on the bottom. I have scratches on my glass top now and and I am very careful. I can't imagine what those rough pans would do to the surface. Are the new cast iron pans different?

o

""I have a glass top electric and can't use cast iron."
I am so surprised to see that so often. I'm with Ann. I've been using cast iron on my glass top for years and never had a problem."

Cast iron have crystals of silicone carbide, which is almost as hard a s diamond. Carbide can scratch glass easily.

It is a good idea to use fine grit silicone carbide sandpaper, or a carborundum grinding stone, or a diamond grinding stone to smooth the bottom of heavy cast iron cookware if you have a glass top range.

dcarch

o

debrak, it's off topic, but how did you find a place to rebind your book? I have a cookbook my aunt gave me at least 35 years ago that also needs rebinding. I don't even know how to start.

o

I don't know about new cast iron, but mine are from the 1940's. Any pot will scratch the surface if you are not careful. I have a few scratches too but they were not from the cast iron.

Netla, welcome back. It has been a while since you have posted. Missed you.

~Ann

o

linelle, "I googled Buffalo NY book repair". Found a website that said they repair old books. I called and they said they could do it. BTW its costing $45 for a new cover and binding. The cover, lettering, and inside page will be close to the original. Not exact, but similar.

I attached the website to show you what kind of business it is to help you find one close to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: quality bindery

o

Thank you! I told my adult kids I wanted it done for Christmas, but it didn't happen :( Now it's up to me!

o

I'm sorry I just realized I called you linelle.

Linnea56, I will post a photo when I get it back (2 to 3 weeks). Let me know how yours turns out.

o

I have my mother's and my grandmother's versions of the book. Both versions are similar to each other. When I was looking on eBay for a copy for a sibling of my mother's I used to ask if a certain recipe was on a certain page. When someone said it was I purchased it.

Funny part about the two I have is both have hand written notes in them about recipes . Written by my mother and grandmother the cruller recipe is well used in both books. At least that's what the grease stains on the pages indicate .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here