Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 lb Prime Rib

Posted by cookie8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 1, 09 at 14:37

Happy New Year everyone. Now I am going to surprise my husband by not cooking red meat all the way through! I bought a 3 lb (1.38 KG) prime rib roast and wondering how long to cook it until it's medium well. Am also wondering how many people this will feed? I will be trying Yorkshire Pudding for the first time too!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 lb Prime Rib

For me medium well is cooked all the way through...and by cooking it so long you will get a lot of shrinkage....so it will likely only feed 6, with no leftovers.
I would put it in the oven, uncovered, at 450 for an hour and check with the instant read.
Linda C

o

Hi cookie,

I had the same question not long ago. I put the link below. I used caliloo's recipe and deborah_ps's method. It came out wonderful. Our roast was about 3 1/2 pounds and we got 6 or 7 servings out of it.

Since my roast was smaller, I checked on it after it had been cooking at 200 for 50 minutes (see deborah's post). It was already at 130 degrees so I took it out right then. I loosely tented it after 20 minutes (I didn't want it to go above 130) and let it sit for one hour as it was ready faster than I thought it would be and I still had sides to make.

I think that medium well would be a mistake, but that's just my opinion. I prefer to err on the side of undercooked rather than overcooked. If it's too raw then I would just warm it in the toaster oven if necessary to cook further. But, let it rest first.

I hope you have a meat thermometer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipes and cooking methods

o
RE: 3 lb Prime Rib////

Oh, forgot to say that 130 is not medium well, it's medium rare. Charts I've seen for medium well range from 155 - 165. Someone else might have a definite temp for you there.

o

Thanks. I am trying to psyche myself up for this (I will not brown all the way through). I will do the high temp cooking. This way it browns nicely and I will take the ends. I just put it in the oven. I'm going to use the rub caliloo suggests but my dad hates garlic so I will have to omit it :((. Thanks for the help. I need to serve 8 so I will make lots of extras.

o

for medium to almost medium rare 130 internal is perfect to PULL IT OUT....it will rise a bit more upon "resting" tented with foil...
I actually pull out a roast no more than 115..that gives my husband the middle portion that is a titch above rare, and the rest of us..a bit more cooked...

o

I know that many websites and cookbooks call 130F medium rare, but I think if you take the roast out of the oven at 130F it will be more medium well than medium rare by the time it rests.

If you want your roast medium rare you need to take it out of the oven between 120F and 125F at the most. After resting the internal temperature will rise to 130F. Like Terri,I don't let the internal temperature get past 115F.

I know that some people just can't eat their meat rare or medium rare, but it would be a shame to cook a beautiful prime rib past the medium rare stage.

Ann

o

I was aiming to take it out at 120 - 125 (I'd rather have it rare and heat it up a little later, than have it over cooked) but it had already hit 130 when I checked it the first time. I have one of those thermometers that comes in the red tube, not one that you insert while it is in the oven.

Anyway, I removed the roast and left the thermometer in the whole time I had it resting and it did not rise above 130. I kept checking because I was afraid it would and had schemes of putting it in the fridge in case it did, lol. That's why I let it rest without tenting for a while. Also, it was cooked at 500 for 20 min., then 200 for the rest. So, it didn't come out of the oven screaming hot.

It was definitely NOT medium well, and it was VERY pink from one end to the other, just like deborah said it would be. I suppose it depends on the method used...

I agree that it would be a shame to overcook a prime rib.

o

I used a digital probe thermometer this time around as I didn't want to rely on a cheap mercury thermometer or the two instant read ones that read totally different from one another.
I took my roast out at 128*, after 20 minutes it rose to 134* and because it was done about 45 minutes earlier than I anticipated it sat out tented for a total of 50 minutes and was cooked a medium rare thru and thru. In fact, it was slightly too rare for my taste :)
And for anyone wanting to get into a lengthy read...others trial and errors with pictures here is the link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Prime Rib deconstructed

o

cookie8 did you have enough Prime Rib, to feed all your guest.

Did I read on another post you needed to feed 8?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here