Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roasted Chicken Question

Posted by dixiedog_2007 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 08 at 14:31

I've got an 8 lb. chicken to roast and I want to know how long you would cook it. I like the high heat method but have to admit that my oven needs some cleaning so don't want to put on 500. If I do it at 425 instead of the 350 suggested on package for 2 1/2 hours./ approx. how long do you think it would take? My them. broke so I'm in a pickle right now!:(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roasted Chicken Question

According to Julia, if you roast a 5.5 - 7 pound chicken at 450 degrees, it should take 1.5 to 2 hrs to roast & 20 min rest before carving. In her method, the bird is placed breast side up for a while, then on one side for a few min, then on the other side for a few min. After 30 min at 450, the oven temp is lowered to 350 and the bird is finished for the remainder of time breast side up. Baste once in a while. It's done when the leg moves easily up and down and the thighs are tender when pressed and all the juices are yellow. I hope this helps.

o

Where do you find an 8-pound chicken?

o

cloudy_christine wrote: Where do you find an 8-pound chicken?

That's what I was wondering. If it was in a dark alley, I'd probably run. :D

o

It is probably an "Oven Roaster Chicken".

o

Me..too...I've never seen one that large!
Maybe 6lbs is the most.

o
Here's a few different suggestions

This blog has some ideas..read past the blogger to the comments too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken

o
Here is another one..

The thing that has me stumped is the 8lb bird..I always make 2 at the same time..so I is it the same as one? I don't know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roast Chicken with Vegetables

o

I just made a 7.5 lb one for dinner.

I make them the same every time and they are always juicy, tender and delish. Rinse all they yucky stuff off, sprinkle heavily with salt, put breast side up in a roasting pan (on a rack) and roast at 350 for 20 min per lb.

Perfect every time!

Alexa

o

Thank you for the help. It turned out just fine. Yes, you read correctly. It was almost 8 lbs. exactly. It was a Perdue Oven Roaster purchased at Wegmans. Served with potatoes and roasted vegs. Very good and moist.

P.S. - I have the oven self-cleaning as I type!

o

Dontcha just love that SC mode!

o

Are you stuffing it? I'd say 2 hours. Ever try stuffing with a bunch of parsley, a handful of whole garlic clover and a cut up lemon? Yummy!

o

terri whoever invented the SC mode is TOPS in my book!

Kicky I have made this chicken by Ina many times. I already cooked the chicken and it turned out great. I was just not sure with it being larger and my them. being broken (which was replaced as of yesterday - I can't live without it).

Perfect Roast Chicken
Copyright, 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All rights reserved

1 (5 to 6 pound) roasting chicken
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large bunch fresh thyme, plus 20 sprigs
1 lemon, halved
1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted
1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
4 carrots cut into 2-inch chunks
1 bulb of fennel, tops removed, and cut into wedges
Olive oil

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, both halves of lemon, and all the garlic. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place the onions, carrots, and fennel in a roasting pan. Toss with salt, pepper, 20 sprigs of thyme, and olive oil. Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken on top.

Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 20 minutes Yield: 8 servings

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here