SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

Asian Slaw recipe anyone?

doucanoe
14 years ago

The food at our cafeteria at the hospital I work at is usually hit or miss. But they make a dynamite Asian Cole Slaw!

It has cabbage (maybe Napa?) bits of broccoli, just a few noodles (maybe Ramen, but not too many like in some recipes I have seen)and a sweet and sour dressing. I don't remember if there were carrots in it or not.

I'd like to see what kind of Asian Slaw recipes you all have.

Linda

Comments (14)

• caliloo
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I use this recipe as a guideline and make this quite often in the summer. The dressing and slaw are really good, but I toss it with a few rice noodles too. BTW, the recipe is from Cuisinart, hence all the FP directions, but I just cut everything by hand.

Alexa

Asian Slaw with Peanut Dressing
    Source: Cuisinart
    (makes 6 cups)
    Ingredients
    1/4 cup toasted unsalted peanuts
    1 clove garlic
    4 slices of fresh ginger, peeled, each about the size of a quarter
    3 tablespoons peanut butter (regular or chunky)
    1/3 cup rice vinegar
    2-1/2 teaspoons sugar
    1-1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
    2 teaspoons Asian (toasted) sesame oil
    1-1/4 teaspoons low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
    4-6 red radishes (3 ounces), washed and trimmed
    1 carrot (3 4 ounces), peeled, cut to fit the feed tube horizontally
    1 small broccoli spear, washed, florets trimmed and reserved, stem peeled
    2 green onions, trimmed, cut to fit feed tube
    1 small (4 ounce) red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, quartered
    1 small yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, quartered
    6 ounces Napa cabbage, washed, cut to fit feed tube
    6 ounces bok choy, washed, cut to fit feed tube (include leafy greens if tender)
    3 ounces snow peas or sugar snap peas, trimmed and strings removed
    Instructions
    Insert the metal blade. Pulse to chop the peanuts, about 10 times. Remove and reserve. With the machine running, drop the garlic and ginger down the feed tube to chop, about 5 seconds. Scrape the work bowl; process 5 seconds longer. Add the peanut butter, sugar, rice vinegar, hoisin sauce, and tamari. Process until smooth, about 10 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the work bowl.
    With the machine running, add the sesame oil in a steady stream through the feed tube; process until emulsified, about 10 to 15 seconds. Remove and reserve. The dressing may be made several days ahead. Cover well and refrigerate. Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature before using. Clean the work bowl.
    Insert the shredding disc. Arrange the radishes in the feed tube, cut side down. Use medium pressure to shred. Arrange the carrots horizontally in the feed tube. Use medium pressure to shred. Insert the trimmed and peeled broccoli stem in the small feed tube; use medium pressure to shred. Transfer the shredded vegetables and reserved broccoli florets to a large bowl.
    Insert the slicing disc. Arrange the green onions in the small feed tube. Use light pressure to slice. Arrange the peppers in the large feed tube, cut side down; use medium pressure to slice. Arrange the Napa cabbage in the feed tube, cut side down. Use medium pressure to slice. Arrange the bok choy in the feed tube; use medium pressure to slice. Transfer the sliced vegetables to the bowl with the other vegetables. Add the snow peas and toss the vegetables to combine. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat well. Garnish with reserved chopped peanuts.
    Nutritional analysis per serving:
    Calories 125 (45% from fat)  carb. 18g  pro. 6g  fat 9g  sat. fat 1g  chol. 0mg  sod. 534mg  fiber 3g
    Preparation: 10 minutes plus 30 minutes resting time for the dressing; 10 Â 15 minutes for the vegetables.
    Note: You may turn this into an Asian pasta salad by doubling the dressing ingredients and adding cooked pasta (6 ounces dry, cooked according to package directions).

• jessyf
    14 years ago

OMG Alexa I was looking at that exact recipe in my paper binder, thinking, how the bleep and I going to type that out! I guess I got it orginally from you, LOL!

Here is another one in my files - I've subbed Napa for the cabbages, I like its delicate texture better.

Asian Coleslaw with Miso-Ginger DressingRecipe
    by Grace Parisi

This recipe makes twice as much dressing as you will need for the coleslaw. Keep the extra on hand for tossing with rice noodle salads, serving as a dip for crudités or spooning over broiled or sautéed fish.

TOTAL TIME: 15 MIN SERVINGS: 6 to 8
    FastHealthyMake-AheadStaff FavoriteIngredients

1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
    3 tablespoons white (shiro) miso
    1 tablespoon mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
    Pinch of sugar
    3/4 cup grapeseed or vegetable oil
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    1/2 small green cabbage, shredded (4 cups)
    1/2 small red cabbage, shredded (4 cups)
    4 medium carrots, shredded
    4 radishes, shredded
    3 large scallions, white and light green parts only, julienned

Directions

1.In a food processor, combine the rice vinegar, miso, mayonnaise, lemon juice, ginger and sugar and process until completely smooth. With the machine on, add the grapeseed oil in a slow and steady stream. Season the dressing with salt and pepper. Pour 1/2 cup of the dressing into a large bowl and refrigerate the rest for another use.

2.Add the green and red cabbage, carrots, radishes and scallions to the bowl and toss to coat thoroughly with the dressing. Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature.

Make Ahead: The dressing can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.

• Related Discussions

Freezer Slaw Question

Q

Comments (8)
    I have never had freezer slaw so I don't know what to expect, but the recipes I found all had 2 cups of sugar and that just sounded wrong. I do need to watch my sugar intake, but I probably won't eat enough of it to be a problem. The problem is that DH doesn't like any veggie to taste sweet, and in most cases neither do I. When we lived in Ohio, neither of us would order a tomato based dish because all of them had sugar in them and we didn't like that. I am not real comfortable with any of the sugar substitutes although I use Splenda occasionally, and I do drink diet pop (and probably shouldn't). I have a regular slaw recipe that has a vinagar and sugar base like the freezer slaw does and I cut the sugar in half, but it has far less sugar than this recipe anyway. What kind of product do you have when you eat this slaw. Is the cabbage still crisp? I like the idea, but I don't know if I will actually like the slaw. Maybe I should make one and try it. It's not like I am overrun with cabbage heads, but I have about 5 green heads out there and the purple heads have started to head up a little now, so that is more than we can eat fresh. I just thought I might do something with the white ones. I am just about to talk myself out of the slaw idea, and I may just go cook a cornbeef and make a big pan of cabbage. I haven't had that for awhile and it sounds good. When we lived in Colorado we made sauerkraut in a jar like the recipe Bejay shows on the harvest forum, but we didn't even process it. I guess they have decided now that it isn't safe to keep if you don't BWB it even though it has been sitting out for 3-4 weeks by the time you BWB, and ours sealed itself. It is by far the simplest way to make sauerkraut even if you have to use BWB. Thanks to both of you for your help. Since it is a freezer recipe instead of canning, I think I can take some liberties with the recipe.
    ...See More

Emeril's Asian Essence....gone. Can anyone help?

Q

Comments (4)
    I believe you are looking for this recipe: 1 tablespoon Kosher salt 1 tablespoon dried cilantro 2 teaspoons dried basil 1 teaspoon dried parsley 1 teaspoon granulated onion 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper 3/4 teaspoon Chinese five spice 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.emerils.com - Asian-Essence
    ...See More

Cole Slaw

Q

Comments (23)
    I did add the celery and green pepper. My 24 year old son said the celery "made it" for him! He liked the crunch it added. With that being said, if you know someone does not care for one or the other, I'd leave it out.
    ...See More

Surprising Slaw Dressing

Q

Comments (14)
    Funny you should mention the BBQ/Ranch salad. I was at Sam's Club quite a while back and decided to get some salad. I didn't want to make another trip to another store so I figured I'd get something while I was there. Saw the BBQ/Ranch kit and thought it sounded good so I bought one. Albeit expensive, it was really good. I thought it'd be easy to make my own but it's for lazy people like me wanting convenience, not unlike rotisserie chickens! I bought it a couple times. Then about a month or two ago the lazies hit and I wanted one again. They didn't have it anymore but had the Asian Sesame one and I thought meh, why not. Nowhere near as good but not bad. So I guess it's make my own now since I don't see them in the stores. Not that big a deal really. I like to add cashews and sunflower nuts to my salads.
    ...See More
  • lindac
    14 years ago

Here's what I have in my "big lots' file.
    I am sure you can cut it down.

ASIAN cabbage slaw

7 pounds of bought slaw mix and made double the recipe for dressing.
    I cooked the noodles in a stick of butter with 2 T sugar until they were brownedcooled and added to the salad at the last moment. Served about 150

ASIAN NOODLE SALAD
    1 Lg (2lb) pkg cole slaw mix
    1 bunch green onions (5-6), chopped, include some greentops)
    ½ C sunflower seed
    ½ C slivered almonds
    1 pkg Beef Raman Noodles, crushed
    1 pkg Chicken Ramen Noodles, crushed
    Dressing
    seasoning mix from Ramen Noodles (optional,but it does add flavor)
    1 C canola oil
    ½ to ¾ C sugar (to taste)
    ½ C vinegar
    ¼ C soy sauce
    1 Tbsp sesame oil
    Blend the dressing ingredients together well, to dissolve sugar.
    In a large bowl combine slaw mix, green onions, sunflower seeds and almonds.
    Pour dressing over the slaw and refrigerate until serving, add crushed noodles and toss just before serving. The noodles will soften and soak up the dressing once they are added. While many like the crunch of the noodles, I like it just as well after it has set, even the next day. Will keep 5 days at 40°.
    6-8 servings (very generous)

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Just call me the coleslaw queen. It's about the only salad I can afford in the winter. I make it almost every week, so I have a lot of varieties.

The kind I make with ramen noodles has the classic sweet and sour dressing, but those noodles are just for crunch so you can just buy them and put them into any type of coleslaw you like. I often top my coleslaw with chopped toasted peanuts or almonds for crunch.

Here are some Asian-ish varieties I like. I think I got the first recipe from here from Alexa.

Coleslaw
    1 1/2 TBLSP rice vinegar (it is fab. in coleslaw)
    1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce (I use the low salt kind)
    1 1/2 tsp. mirin (or sherry or honey)
    1 lime juiced (that's the secret to groovy coleslaw)
    1 1/2 tsp. finely grated ginger
    1 1/2 tsp. peanut oil
    1 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
    1/4 head napa cabbage
    1/2 large head radicchio (I can't afford this, I use red cabbage, 2 cups)
    1 orange or yellow pepper (or green, or red!)
    4 scallions
    1 red apple (I recommend Empire, or golden delicious, or Cortland or Pink Lady)
    Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste

Shred cabbages and chopp veggies. Combine dressing ing. and pour over salad and toss. Can add toasted nuts or chopped up ramen noodles at the end.

Nappa Cabbage and Snow Pea Slaw
    from "Cooking Light Everyday Favorites"

Tastes best after chilling 30 min. in fridge (all slaw does)

Dressing:
    2 TBLSP sugar
    2 TBLSP fresh lime juice
    1 TBLSP fish sauce (I don't use this)
    1 tsp. dark sesame oil
    1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger (peel first)
    Dash ground red pepper

Slaw:
    4 cups chopped (1/4 inch) napa cabbage (or regular, which is what I usually use)
    1/2 cup snow peas, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/8 inch thin strips. (You could also dice up broccoli for this, or just buy that pre-made broccoli slaw mix and use that.)
    1/2 cup fresh bean sprouts (I left that out since I can hardly ever find good fresh beans sprouts.)
    1/2 cup 1/8 inch julienne cut peeled jicama (I used thinly sliced radishes)
    1/4 cup julienned red pepper (or green, which is less expensive)
    2 TBLSP thinly sliced green onions (2 or 3, depending on size)
    2 TBLSP finely chopped fresh cilantro. (You can use fresh parsley if you are a cilantro hater, but if not, it is the cilantro that makes this salad)

Combine all chopped veggies. Combine dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Salt to taste. Cover and chill. Yields 6 servings 2/3 cup. 43 calories per serving.

Linked below is one more, from my "to try" file. You could use broccoli instead of green beans, and toss in some ramen noodles.

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Oh jeez, my brain is going to mush. Here is the classic Asian slaw recipe WITH the sweet and sour dressing. Broccoli would be easy enough to add.

Ramen slaw (from my friend Bev)

Lg. head shredded cabbage (napa) or can use prepared slaw mix
    1 bunch green onions

Dressing:
    1/2 cup sugar (I'd probably cut this down to 1/3)
    1/2 cup vinegar (I use cider or rice wine vinegar)
    2 TBLSP light soy sauce
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    Salt to taste

Topping:
    2 packages ramen noodles, crushed
    1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
    or
    1/2 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
    (Bev says toast the almonds and sunflower seeds together with 1/4 cup butter. I would not do that, I'd just toast in the oven for about 8 min., no butter)

Toss slaw with dressing. Add crunchy topping before serving. You can add other veggies to the slaw as your taste buds dictate. The dressing makes a lot!

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So the ramen noodles are uncooked? They must be in there just for crunch then, since I can't imagine they'd impart any flavor uncooked.

I guess I thought maybe they were fried or something.

I dunno, my brain feels like mush today, too. I came down with a bad cold on Friday and have been miserable all weekend!

Linda

• becky_ca
    14 years ago

My family really enjoys this one, it's esprecially good with teriyaki chicken.

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Asian Coleslaw

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
    6 tablespoons vegetable oil
    5 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (I used chunky)
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root (I use the
    micoplane grater)
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (I use a garlic press)
    5 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
    2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
    2 cups shredded napa cabbage
    2 red bell peppers -- thinly sliced
    2 carrots -- julienned
    6 green onions -- chopped
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    roasted peanuts -- optional

1 In a medium bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, oil,
    peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic.
    2 In a large bowl, mix the green cabbage, red cabbage,
    napa cabbage, red bell peppers, carrots, green onions, and
    cilantro. Toss with the peanut butter mixture just before serving.

Source:
    "www.allrecipes.com"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    NOTES : This is really good with chopped cooked chicken added. To make it really fast you can use bagged coleslaw mix. Don't mix it until right before you serve it - it wilts quickly. The dressing can be prepared a day or two ahead and kept in the fridge.

• lindac
    14 years ago

In my recipe, the ramen noodles are raw....broken up a bit and added to a fry pan with butter and sugar and tossed and cooked until coated and a bit brown....cooled and crumbled into the salad just before serving....if you don't eat them all first!!
    Copying becky's recipe....sounds yummy for people who don't have nut issues....or cilantro or red bell pepper issues!

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

My brain went to mush on this one. Oh yeah, that's what you were supposed to do, break up the ramen noodles and toast them in butter with the nuts. But I don't do that, I just break them up and toss them in. They are a little "crunchy" but soften up over time. Depends on your taste. I don't do the butter thing to save a little on fat and calories, but I've done it and it is good too. At first I was afraid to eat "raw" ramen noodles, but I like them in coleslaw.

• mikes100acdreamfarm
    14 years ago

A friend at church makes it like lpinkmountain (Bev's) version. She doesn't toast the noodles and I don't think there are onions or broccoli in her's but can be added. She puts sliced Almond instead of slivered. The dressing is the key thing. And she just uses the Ramen soup packs and doesn't use the seasoning packet in it. They cost about 10 cents a pack here I think.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The dressing in the one at the cafeteria does not contain peanut butter. or at least that I can tell. It's more of a vinaigrette-type dressing.

Maybe I'll corner the food service director and see if she'll give me an idea. Unless, of course they buy it already made....

Linda

• wizardnm
    14 years ago

Linda, the recipe that LindaC posted is the one I gave here for funeral lunches. I had it all figured out from when we had the deli. The salad was always a hit. Just cut the recipe down for home.
    We didn't toast the noodles since we always had to have it made up ahead of time. The noodles will soften and most seemed to like it that way. I loved it, would eat a good sized helping for lunch...often.
    Now that you brought it up, I want some!

Nancy

• skeip
    14 years ago

How about this one:

ORIENTAL COLESLAW

1 16ounce Package Grated Cabbage and Carrots
    1 16ounce Package Broccoli Slaw
    1 Bunch Green Onions, Chopped
    1 Cup Toasted Slivered Almonds
    2 Packages Beef Flavored Ramen Noodles, Crunched
    ¾ Cup Vegetable Oil
    ¼ Cup Toasted Sesame Oil
    1/3 Cup Rice Vinegar
    ½ Cup Sugar

Mix Oils, Vinegar, Sugar and Flavor Packets from Noodles. Shake well, refrigerate overnight.

Combine first four ingredients, pour in dressing mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate. Just before serving stir in crushed Noodles.

• Lars
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yesterday I made a somewhat Japanese style cole slaw, just using my imagination, and then today I wrote the recipe down. Then I just found this thread which contains recipes that are extremely similar to what I made, especially Becky's. Here's my recipe:

Vegetables:

1/2 Head red or purple cabbage (can substitute Napa cabbage); 2 cups when sliced
    1/2 carrot, grated
    1/2 red (or white) onion
    1/2 bell pepper (red, green, or yellow)

Dressing:

1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
    2 Tbsp Ponzu sauce* (or soy sauce or seasoned soy sauce)
    1-1/2 Tbsp Black rice vinegar (or white vinegar, preferably rice)
    3 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
    1/4 tsp Sriracha sauce ( or other hot sauce), to taste
    3 Tbsp mayonnaise

Slice the cabbage into julienne strips, about 1/16”-1/8” thick

Thinly slice the onion from root to top in 1/8” strips

Cut the bell pepper into julienne strips, no more than 3/4” long x 1/8”
    thick

All of this can be done on a mandolin or in a food processor with the slicer attachment, especially if making a larger batch.

Toss all of the vegetables together and place in a bowl with tight fitting lid.

Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing (except mayonnaise) in a small bowl and then whisk in mayonnaise. Use a stick blender for larger batches.

Pour dressing over vegetables and toss until combined. Cover with lid and refrigerate for at least an hour (or overnight) before serving. Can serve sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds or Furikake.

*Note: If not using Ponzu sauce, you can add Yuzu or lime juice for the citrus flavor. If you do not have sesame oil, you can use 1 tablespoon tahini plus 2 tablespoons salad oil.

-------------------------------------

I think next time I might use miso in place of Ponzu sauce, but then I would have to add Yuzu or lime juice. I have lots of Yuzu fruit in my freezer that I have not gotten around to using. I used Napa cabbage because that's what I had on hand, but I prefer to make it with purple cabbage, mainly for looks.