Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re-use braising liquid/sauce?

Posted by foodonastump (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 13:49

As mentioned before, I made a short rib recipe for Christmas that I loved. There was a ton of sauce left over which I promptly froze. My thought was to thin it out with a bit of water and then use it to braise new beef for a second meal. Is there anything inherently wrong with doing that? Please see linked recipe.

ps - Lars, if you're reading, here's another use for your tamarind paste beyond Pad Thai. Can't remember if you guys eat red meat though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tamarind Braised Short Ribs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re-use braising liquid/sauce?

I would definitely like that recipe, but Kevin won't eat beef. At some point, I might buy a short rib for myself and a turkey (or chicken) thigh for him and cook them the same way but in separate pans.

As for reusing your braising liquid - I personally would do it, but I would also add a bit more onion and garlic, as their flavors will have faded by now. The other flavors should hold up well - except for maybe the celery, but that won't make that much difference.

Lars

o

Thanks Lars - Yeah I was thinking since it was never a marinade I'd be ok. I like the idea of freshening it up a bit. Will definitely do that. I don't expect it to be as good as the first time around, just hoping for "still quite good."

o

I think it will be better than the first time.

The first time, you were starting out braising in water. The process turned the tasteless water into a tasty sauce.

The second time, you will start out braising in a tasty sauce. The process will turn it into, I dunno, liquid love?

I suppose in theory you could keep repeating this process, starting with a tastier liquid each time. I don't see any food safety issues since the liquid is either frozen or simmering at essentially all times. Refresh the aromatics, of course.

The precedent would be the pots of stock that used to live on the fire permanently in the old days (really old days), as liquid was taken, water was added. Isn't there some restaurant that has supposedly used the same pot of stock for many decades? When I was making tare, I read about some Japanese place that has also supposedly been using the same pot of tare sauce for decades.

o

I wouldn't hesitate to reuse the cooking liquid. It would also be good with an uncured pork shank.

That must have been a fabulous Christmas dinner.

o

"---My thought was to thin it out with a bit of water and then use it to braise new beef for a second meal--"

I would use it to make a sauce for a pasta dish.

The next new braised beef should be flavorful enough all on its own without this wonderful sauce.

dcarch

o

The term I was looking for is "perpetual stew".

o

I use my braising liquid as a soup base. We almost like the soup better than the initial meal!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here