SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solsthumper

Annie...

Solsthumper
16 years ago

...this heah recipe comes from Flo Braker. I adapted it, ever so slightly, and I talk about it below.

Aside from its taste and texture, what I love about this bread is how easy it is to prepare. You could forego the overnight rise, but I say, go for the whole megillah, it's definitely worth it. Serve it with salads, cheese and fruits; it's also excellent toasted for breakfast.

The Stepford Wife in me, couldn't leave this bread alone, so with pinky pointing skyward, I joyfully slashed the tops before baking.

Walnut Bread

2 teaspoons active dry yeast

pinch sugar

½ cup hot water (110°F)

2 tablespoons sugar

½ cup walnut oil

3 cups unbleached AP flour

1 tablespoon salt

2 cups whole wheat flour

1 cup walnut pieces, toasted

Cornmeal*

Kosher salt**

Sprinkle the yeast and pinch of sugar over the hot water in a bowl. Set aside for 15 minutes to proof.

Add the lukewarm water, sugar, oil and AP flour to the yeast mixture; mix until blended. Add the whole wheat flour and stir, then knead it in until smooth and elastic, 10-15 minutes (I do all of this in the KA, because I don't own a bread machine). Add the salt during the last few minutes of kneading.

Place the dough into an oiled bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise overnight at room temperature. Or cover and let rise 2 to 4 hours, or until doubled in bulk. But I seriously recommend the former.

Punch down dough. Working briefly, knead in the toasted walnuts until evenly distributed.

Grease a large baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal*

Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a round loaf. Sprinkle the tops with kosher salt. Cover loosely and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake the loaves for 45 minutes, or until they're a deep brown.

*I skipped the cornmeal. Instead, I placed the loaves on parchment and using a peel, I slid them onto a preheated baking stone.

**I omitted the sprinkle of kosher salt on top step.

Is anobody watching? Good. Just between you and me, I added the walnuts after the first kneadking. I did! Oooh, I'm such a bad a$$.

Sol

Comments (30)

• annie1992
    16 years ago

sol, you are a rebel, a true bad a**, to add those walnuts after the FIRST kneading, in spite of instructions to the contrary. LOL

This sounds like nearly a perfect bread to me, mix it up at night and bake the next day for "breakfast". Since I never eat until I've been up a couple of hours, that would be perfect. and I'd make the round loaves too, I like lots of crusty edges.

Thanks, Sol. Somehow, though, I know my pictures will never do that bread justice.....

Annie

• lindac
    16 years ago

Prolly not good....nope....don't think I would like that at all....
    Not even with the last of the honeybell marmalade!

• Related Discussions

annie`s salsa

Q

Comments (2)
    Did you do a search on this forum or on GardenWeb? Here is a link that might be useful: Questions About Annie's Salsa Recipe
    ...See More

This is too funny! AnnieD!

Q

Comments (11)
    Hah! Yup that was my house alright...that was my landscaper out mowing today...also known as DH. You should've stopped and introduced yourselves...he's certainly heard enough about you and the beach house saga and vacations and fab swim parties...I feel like we already know you. Would love to meet you IRL. Next time you absolutely must stop by. We actually get quite a few strangers stopping by for various reasons... often they're lost... but just this p.m. I stopped to pick up a flyer in the driveway and a stranger pulls in in a jeep. She says she drives by all the time and loves our house. She wants to build a new house down county way as her husband is being relocated, and wants to use our house as inspiration. So we showed her around a bit and she said she'd like to come back with her husband to learn more. Nice lady. We tease our architect that he's created an "attractive nuisance". We should have a get together for local GWers so we can all meet face to face, bring our color and fabric swatches, y'know, the whole 9 yards...or 18 for a sofa! ;)
    ...See More

Annie's salsa a definate hit!! Thanks Annie!!

Q

Comments (1)
    LOL, Stacie, my first royalty!!! I'm glad it went over so well and that you made a few sales of the stuff. See, now maybe you'll get a craft show "circuit" started and I'll be rich and famous without doing a lick of the actual work myself. Yeah, that would be good... Annie
    ...See More

Annie’s quilt - Chandelier

Q

Comments (14)
    Thank you all for your kind comments. My niece received the quilt yesterday, my birthday, and just loved it...that’s all the birthday present I needed. A few of you mentioned the pattern, I found it on the Bernini site years ago, but I modified the block size to make it easier on me. Here’s the link: https://weallsew.com/chandelier-quilt-along-week-three-quilting/
    ...See More
  • Solsthumper
    Original Author
    16 years ago

AB, you'll love the crust on this animal. And post a picture whenever you get around to it. I've seen your pictures of breads, jams, and my all-time favorite: Yer tomaters! (Jessica, just walk away)
    Every Summer, I look forward to pictures of your tomato hauls.

Linda, you're right. This bread is horrible, tasteless and just plain yuck. Stay away from this, no matter how much it beckons. ;-Ã

Sol

• woodie
    16 years ago

I wouldn't like it either, especially not as an open faced sandwich with ham and brie.

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

OK... you got me with the ham and brie. Oh, my!

• lyndaluu2
    16 years ago

I think I'm going to make some of bread right now.

Linda

• jessyf
    16 years ago

I'm still cracking up at the 'whole megillah'.

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Oh Sol...I wish I had walnut oil. That is a GAWgus cracked top, and those walnuts call out to you don't they....

When it thaws, I'll hit TJs...I presume they'll have walnut oil?

• centralcacyclist
    16 years ago

This what the angels in heaven get to eat, isn't it?

I love bread, I love walnuts.

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Maureen walnut oil is MIA at my TJs. The health food stores have it.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I went to the store...I have everything to make this bread.

Got home and what came in the mail today???

Fine Cooking and in it is a recipe for.... ready?....... Grilled Brie, Turkey & Pear Sandwiches. I immediately thought about this bread. The recipe says to use a good artisan bread and to haul out the panini maker if you have one.....my grill pan will work.

Woodie, ham and brie sounds good also and I had read your comment earlier...got me thinking

Nancy

• hoopysmom
    16 years ago

Can 1/2 cup water be correct for 5 cups of flour? I wanted to make this tonight but am questioning the amount of liquid... Sol? Annie? Anyone else tried this bread? Its cold here and I plan to have my oven going all weekend and would love to try this bread!

thanks
    Lori

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Lori, if you add the 1/2 cup walnut oil, it makes a cup of liquid, I think that would be pretty close. If your dough doesn't "come together", just add more water until you get the right consistency. I add more water or less, depending on the day, it seems. Some days bread takes more liquid than other days, depending on the brand of flour, the humidity, the way I hold my head.....

I haven't made it either, no walnut oil. I do have hazelnut oil, though, from Melly. I'll bet that would make a fine substitution.

Sol, my friend, I'm sure I'll love it. My jeans might not, but I will!

Annie

• hoopysmom
    16 years ago

Thanks Annie, I did add more water, almost a cup more. The dough felt good so hopefully the bread will taste good too!

I've notice the dough is already double in size and the recipe says to leave it at room temp all night. Is it going to raise up over the bowl? Or should I put it in the fridge?

I know what you mean about the jeans, this forum is a dangerous place to hang-out!

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I think I'd toss it in the fridge.

Nancy

• Solsthumper
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lori, a big thank you. I think I'm going to throw myself under a bus now.
    This is the second time this month I've left something out of a new recipe. I hope no one else will try this without checking here first.

Walnut Bread

2 teaspoons active dry yeast
    pinch sugar
    ½ cup hot water (110°F)
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1½ cups lukewarm water (85°F)
    ½ cup walnut oil
    3 cups unbleached AP flour
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 cup walnut pieces, toasted
    Cornmeal*
    Kosher salt**

Sprinkle the yeast and pinch of sugar over the hot water in a bowl. Set aside for 15 minutes to proof.
    Add the lukewarm water, sugar, oil and AP flour to the yeast mixture; mix until blended. Add the whole wheat flour and stir, then knead it in until smooth and elastic, 10-15 minutes (I do all of this in the KA, because I don't own a bread machine). Add the salt during the last few minutes of kneading.
    Place the dough into an oiled bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise overnight at room temperature. Or cover and let rise 2 to 4 hours, or until doubled in bulk. But I seriously recommend the former.
    Punch down dough. Working briefly, knead in the toasted walnuts until evenly distributed.
    Grease a large baking sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal*
    Divide the dough in half. Shape each half into a round loaf. Sprinkle the tops with kosher salt. Cover loosely and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
    Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake the loaves for 45 minutes, or until they're a deep brown.

*I skipped the cornmeal. Instead, I placed the loaves on parchment and using a peel, I slid them onto a preheated baking stone.
    **I omitted the sprinkle of kosher salt on top step.
    Is anobody watching? Good. Just between you and me, I added the walnuts after the first kneadking. I did! Oooh, I'm such a bad a$$.

Sol

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Sol, thanks for that update, and BEFORE I made the bread too!

Lori, I think I'd put it in the fridge too, if my house weren't 50F. I turn the heat WAAAAYYY down at night. So your extra cup of water was pretty darned close. I'm waiting to see how yours turns out....

Annie

• Solsthumper
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glad to be of some service tonight Annie.

Lori, I strongly recommend placing the dough in a large bowl, covered, and left at room temperature overnight.

Sol

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Sol, I was just questioning this also Cover and let rise overnight at room temperature. Or cover and let rise 2 to 4 hours, or until doubled in bulk. But I seriously recommend the former. , as I start to make the bread.

As I read it, you are saying room temp overnight or AT Least 2-4 hrs. My house is closer to 65 @ night downstairs (old man and old cat...). Maureen

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Here it is before it went into its bowl to rise.

I think it will have to go into the fridge now...5 hrs later since I wont' be home all day, and there is no way I'm getting up in time to bake this at O-dark-30. More will be revealed tomorrow!

• hoopysmom
    16 years ago

This bread is really good, easy to make and fairly forgiving. I left it out all night and it didn't raise over the side of the bowl like I thought it might. The walnut oil gives it such a wonderful flavor. Am looking forward to walnut toast in the morning. I'll definitely try it again using the revised recipe. Thanks Sol!

I also made oatmeal cookies, snickerdoodles, pumpkin pie, Italian Cream cupcakes (which are over the top delicious) and a giant pot of my favorite clam chowder. The house was warm all day!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Looks terrific. You were a busy beaver for sure yesterday hoopysmom. I may take my bowl out just before I leave today and try to get it baked tonight.

Can it be baked w/o slashing? I have a stencil I want to use? Maybe I'll test it both ways. ;-)

Maureen

• ritaotay
    16 years ago

Just for the record, walnut oil is one of the healthiest oils you can use...

Rita

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Ok, my poor bread suffered from a lot of neglect in its making. That first rise was tooo long, but the DC Art day interfered. I was also pretty tired when I came home and the kneading of the walnuts could have been better. My oven took 25 min to preheat!! but I don't know if it was that or just not watching it enough but it certainly overbaked. I was trying to get ready for bed with a HOT shower and smelled the telltale sign before I could get back to the kitchen.

I ate a slice right off...hot...and it tasted good other than the burnt bottom which I cut off. This am it still look blah on the outside but the inside is pretty darn good tasting. The flour brushed off in handling. Would water have helped it 'set'? i.e before stenciling?

• Solsthumper
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Sol, I was just questioning this also Cover and let rise overnight at room temperature. Or cover and let rise 2 to 4 hours, or until doubled in bulk. But I seriously recommend the former. As I read it, you are saying room temp overnight or AT Least 2-4 hrs."

Maureen, yes. A 2 to 4 hour rise is acceptable. But, for absolute best flavor, a much longer fermentation period is recommended. I have an old wooden bread bowl that I use for all my breads; I place the dough in it, cover it rather loosely, and let the dough sit on the kitchen counter overnight, to do its thing.

Btw, stencilling would be great for this bread because it is so dark. Just hold your stencil steady and generously dust with plain AP flour - AP flour will show up best on this type of bread. Take your time placing it in the oven to avoid distorting your design. I stencilled a boule once, using my first initial "M" and really liked the effect.

Lori, I'm mighty pleased you enjoyed the recipe. It is a very easy dough to work with. Your bread is a thing of beauty. You should've posted pictures of all the other treats you made. Impressive.
    I don't think I could accomplish all of that baking in just one day. One week, maybe. One day? No. I'd have to give up my other 37 jobs (:-Ã) in order to spend all day cooking and baking. But, maybe someday - I'm still hopeful.

Rita, I agree. Walnut oil is healthy. I bake with it often. But, I also like to rub a little of it in my bread bowl, and on cutting boards.

Sol

• Solsthumper
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry Maureen, we must've been typing simultaneously. How could you've neglected your baby so? [G]

I'm glad you were still able to eat it and enjoy it. It doesn't look overbaked from this corner.
    Btw, I do love the Joy stencil. Wish I'd have thought of that over the holidays.
    Oh, there's no need to dampen the bread in order to stencil it. But you do need to tread carefully when transferring it to the oven, to avoid marring it.

Sol

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Sol, Michael's had all the christmas stencils on sale last week in their clearance section. I bought a whole bunch to give to my baking partner as well as keep a set.

Maybe it'll be JOY in baking soon for me...it is fun no matter what. ;-)

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Maybe they still have them in your neck of the tundra ;-)

• Solsthumper
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beautiful. I'll be driving right by Michael's this Wednesday, so I'll stop by and check out their Christmas stencils. Thanks M!

Sol

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Sol, my little sunshine, an email is on its way to you. Save your gas. Maureen