SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

1 TBLSP of poppy seeds--what to make--noodles?

lpinkmountain
9 years ago

I have to get rid of these out of my freezer. Any ideas? Not enough for poppyseed muffins or poppyseed bread. I'm thinking poppyseed noodles. Anyone ever made this dish? I'm looking for a T&T recipe. Something else good would be OK too.

Comments (8)

• Lars
    9 years ago

I use poppy seeds to make a salad dressing for fruit, especially grapefruit or other citrus. The ingredients are poppy seeds, honey, lemon juice, and grape seed (or avocado) oil. For one tablespoon of poppy seeds, I would use 1/3 cup honey, 1/3 cup oil, and 3-4 Tbsp lemon juice (from one large lemon). You can use any oil that does not have a strong flavor - my favorite is avocado oil, but it is not always easy to find.

Lars

• plllog
    9 years ago

I've never seen poppy seed noodles!

I always put them in cole slaw dressing (or, really, broccoli slaw which I'm more likely to make). :)

You could also just use them on top of a loaf of bread or some rolls, just scattered for pretty. You could make two rugalach. :) (I know of someone who does that. Just takes a spoon of flour, etc., and makes a couple at a time.)

It's not long 'till Purim. You could just throw them in with some new for hamentaschen.

A long time ago, I tried to make my own poppyseed spread and just ended up with polished poppyseeds. I made a coffee can yeast cake from Joy of Cooking and put them in that. It had almond extract too. The cake took on an almost greenish cast from the seeds, and it was too heavy, but it made the very best ever bread pudding, half and half with challah, and even better with hard sauce. I think that was more like 2.5 TBSP, though. :(

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

My Hungarian grandma never liked tomato sauce on her pasta, so we'd all have regular sauce and she'd just toss hers with butter and sprinkle with poppy seeds.

Otherwise, I suppose you could use it for a topping for baked rolls like they do on hard rolls. Or just toss on a salad...

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hamantaschen, that's funny Pllog!! Me and rolled and shaped dough do not get along, no way, no how, never. I've tried and tried, we just had to break up! But I LOVE eating hamantaschen. With just a TBLBP, I was thinking along the lines of maybe what AnnieD mentioned. I made lemon poppyseed muffins and lemon poppyseed bread with the rest of the seeds, I just have the dregs to use up. I might try the noodle thing with just butter. Or throw them in with my next batch of coleslaw. That's a good idea too.

As for bread, me and bread are currently on the outs, but I'm trying to work it out. I have yet to manage to make a really good loaf that I like. I've come close, but it's always something with me and bread.

• plllog
    9 years ago

Oh, I forgot about your issues with dough!

If you want to try hamentaschen, I'd suggest starting with something easy to handle like an empanada dough. The great thing is you divide the portions first, then roll each individually, so you don't have to deal with the whole danged thing. I can also recommend Perfect-A-Crust rings, which were posted to CF previously, and, with the dough in plastic wrap, top and bottom, and a silpat to hold everything in place, with the ring on top of all, you can't help but to get a good rollout. But that's only for when you're in the mood to get back together with dough. :)

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Got the pie crust rings. Been there done that with the dough. My desire to eat pie and shaped cookies isn't high enough to warrant any more time with that. Plus my kitchen is tiny, tiny these days, I end up using the stove for counter space. I do have a desire to live near a great bakery that offers hammantaschen and other shaped cookies, but such is no longer my lot. My waistline will not suffer! I can get decent strudel and cookies and donuts so that counts for something! :) Meanwhile I found a recipe for "Harper's Loaf" bread that uses just a small amount of poppyseeds mixed in with other seeds. Seems like that might be a plan, I can revisit my old nemesis yeast bread and get rid of the poppyseeds.

• grainlady_ks
    9 years ago

I know you dismissed muffins in the original post, but there are recipes that make 12-muffins using 1 T. of poppy seeds, and it really won't matter if you don't have the full amount called for in the recipe. You can also cut a muffin recipe in half and make 6-muffins. If you need 1/2 an egg for a 6-muffin recipe, whisk the whole egg together with a fork and use 1/2 of it.

You could also add the poppy seeds to waffles or pancakes.

-Grainlady

This post was edited by grainlady on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 11:20

• plllog
    9 years ago

Oh, dear. Well, if the rings didn't up your crustabilities, I can certainly see why you gave dough up!

If you have a hankering for hamentaschen, check the shuls. Many bake their own as a fundraiser.

Best of luck with the loaf! A lot of the deal with yeast bread is practice. After awhile your hands just learn how to do it. Like making fluffy loopy bows. The first hundred are kind of weird. After that, they come out just fine. :)

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living