SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Revere ware copper bottom vs All-Clad aluminum core

Lars
9 years ago

Last week-end I bought an All-Clad 12" skillet to replace (or be an addition to) the Revere Ware copper bottom skillet that I have been using for years, although I cannot remember where it came from. I think Bernard left it with me. The Revere Ware skillet bows in the middle of the bottom (although the bottom of the bottom is flat), and so when I add oil, it goes to the edges instead of staying in the middle. I guess that was my biggest issue with this pan, but it also has a handle that is not oven-safe, and I wanted the All-Clad pan for that. I use the Revere Ware pan mostly for making burritos, and it does a great job on those. Usually I make two at once, one for me and one for Kevin, and I had been making Kevin's in the Revere Ware and mine in the Magnalite pan (similar to Caphalon) which is only 10" diameter, which is not ideal, but it still sort of fits. The burrito in the Revere Ware heats up faster and gets crisp on the bottom (which I like), but the one in the aluminum pan heats more slowly and does not get crisp, and so I transfer it to the Revere pan, once that is empty. I was hoping that the All-Clad pan would function like the Revere pan, but instead it heats like the Magnalite pan. I guess I just need to turn the heat higher on this pan. I sometimes use a cast iron skillet for the second burrito, and this works almost as well as the Revere pan.

I have decided I need to keep the Revere pan because I like the way it heats. My question is - what happened with copper bottom/clad pans? I do not see them like I used to, but the copper seems to be superior to aluminum, at least for heat transfer.

Do you use copper pans or do you prefer pans like All-Clad?

Lars

Comments (16)