SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnar1957

ISO: Motel cooking ideas!

donnar57
10 years ago

Once again, it's summer vacation planning time. I'm starting to collect ideas and recipes for "on the road cooking". I'm not in an RV, though -- we stay in motels or with family/friends.

Last road trip, we took a bunch of stuff with us to cook with, but only ended up using the electric fry pan once in a while. Of course, I also gained a lot of weight.

For this upcoming trip, I have to watch my food intake -- a LOT -- doctor's orders! Restaurants are starting to offer some low-fat/low-calorie foods, so that's a relief. However, what they do NOT seem to care about is "low-sodium". I am now very salt-sensitive and it plays havoc with my blood pressure. It means that I will not be going out to eat every night on a trip. OK, that saves me money in the long term!

Now I'm collecting recipes that could be made easily in an electric fry pan with an occasional microwave (most of the time, our motels seem to offer a fridge and microwave). Of course there are hamburgers, hamburger casseroles, turkey bacon and scrambled eggs, and *maybe* pancakes. Any other ideas? You all are so helpful!

The other challenge is that of food storage. I don't mind taking a few herbs & spices with me, but everything else would have to be purchased at a store nearby. (For instance, buy a pound of 93/7 hamburger, a pint of milk, some cheese, etc.) Last trip, we carted a small jar of mayo all the way around the country and used it ONCE.

One thing we thought about and have already started doing: saving the packets of catsup, mustard and mayo that one gets when buying sandwiches at McD's and the grocery store. The stores and fast food places also have packets of salad dressings, so we are looking for a source for those (rather than toting bottles of ranch and fat-free Italian for me). I still have some left that were mailed to me a couple of years ago. :-)

Ideas cheerfully accepted! Thanks!

Donna

Comments (24)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus