Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shallots bringing me down

Posted by ynnej (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 25, 12 at 12:23

I love shallots but man do they burn! I'm trying to find ways to make them easier on the eyes. I read something about putting them in the freezer for 30 min, has anyone tried this? BTW, a few years ago I made Rachael Ray's pasta with 10 shallots. She swore the crying would be worth it, it sooooo was not.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shallots bringing me down

I've also heard putting them in the freezer will help. Also, make sure your knife is razor sharp. A dull knife will crush the shallot more, and release more tear-inducing vapor.

If I cut a lot of onions/shallots, I cover the cut pieces under an upside-down bowl as I go, to contain the odor and gasses while I continue to cut more.

o

Use a sharp knife, ventilate well, and rinse your knife blade in water every few cuts. This last trick was told to me by a long time friend and it really works.

o

I have just two words for you.................

Here is a link that might be useful: ONION GOGGLES

o

I'm puzzled by this. The shallots I buy are very mild, much less likely to sting my eyes than onions.

o

cloudy christine, I've heard this as well, but it's certainly not the case for me! Onions bother me, but shallots just kill. Woodie, I've never heard of onion goggles, I wonder if swimming goggles would work just as well? I'd feel a bit silly but it's worth a try! Suzytwo and barnmom, thank you for your advice!

o

I've never made a recipe that used 10 shallots, and so they have never bothered me - especially not the way onions do.

Onion goggles may help, but a mask and snorkel will help even more. Alternatively, you can breathe through your mouth instead of your nose while chopping, as the fumes reach your eyes more quickly through your nose than through your mouth. Swim shops sell clips that close your nose - I have some that I use with swim goggles, which can also be substituted for onion goggles.

This may also be a case where a mini-food processor would help.

Lars

o

What makes onions and shallots burn is that when you damage the cells ( as in cutting!!) you release a sulfur compound that combines with the tears in your eyes and forms sulfuric acid which burns like He double toothpicks!!
Ways to prevent the burn, sharp knive, cut in a closed space ( like inside a food processor) or wear goggles!
I too have never had any burn from shallots.

o

I have heard burning a candle near where you are chopping onions will help. I haven't tried it.

When I chop onions, I get close to the stove and turn the vent hood on full blast. Seems to help.

o

Okay, I've got my shallots in the freezer. I'll take them out after 30 min. I've sharpened my knife and I'll be cutting them with a candle going by the sink so I can rinse the knife often. I couldn't find any goggles but I do have my wet suit and flippers on, that should do the trick ;)

o

Ive heard hold a piece of bread in your mouth....or a stick match

Linda

o

If you have a small, portable fan, place it beside you (turned on low) as you chop. No more tears.

However, if you go with my friend Woodie's useful (and entertaining) route, make sure to also don the wet suit and flippers. And please, post a photo here :)

Sol

o

Sol and Linda, I didn't get your tips in time, but I did try all of the others. And the result was amazing! Not really sure if it was all of the tricks combined or just one of them in particular, but it worked! I'll be eating a lot more shallots thanks to you guys, thank you!

o

Yes, refrigerating also helps keep down the process that causes tearing. I do this with onions all the time. I keep them in the fridge just so I don't have to wait. Works perfectly.

o

Here's a picture to show that I am not the only one who has used a snorkel when chopping onions, but mine is turquoise instead of blue and is much more attractive.

Lars

o

Lars, thank you for clarifying that it is, in fact, turquoise. My snorkel is periwinkle and it is for this reason that I chose to instead don my flippers.

o

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones that onions or shallots don't bother my eyes all that much. Every now and then I'll get a strong one that burns my eyes....usually a red onion. I'll be waiting for that pic though. : )

David

o

I have found that if you microwave the onion a little, not to cook it, the problem seems to go away.

dcarch

o

Wear contacts. :) No sting!

o

I'm bothered by shallots more than onions, too. What bugs me about shallots is they're hard to peel, so by the time I get them peeled, I have to leave the room. I'll have to try some of these tricks - sans the wet suit and flippers. lol

Sally

o

Here's a must-have for all the shallot/onion chopping, flipper-wearing ladies. No need to wear plain flippers, you too can be glamorous even while chopping.

o

Petra, what in the heck?!!! Where did you find those things?

o

Darn it, my onion goggles are lime green, none of these match :(

o

ynnej, they are called High Tide Heels and were designed by a Belgian artist a few years ago.
woodie, try the black heels, they go with everything. :o)

o

My food prep area is near the stove and I turn on the exhaust fan...draws all the gases/fumes away. Never a tear! < s >

o

That made my day, and it's just starting! lol

Sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here