SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacy3_gw

Goulash

stacy3
16 years ago

Well, I have a recipe blog that appears on my yahoo homepage, and it recently must have shown goulash because I got my mind set on making it.

I always had ground meat, tomato sauce and elbow pasta and called it goulash - as a kid. But have learned from AnnT and SharonCB on this forum that it is actually something quite different! So I thought I'd try a more authentic version and this one looked good.

Now I know from the comments that it is not entirely authentic hungarian goulash, but I thought it sounded good.

But, if either of you are around, (or anyone else with a recipe) could you give me some insight into how you do yours? I should have paid more attention in the past...

Oh, and I only have sweet paprika. Should I run to the store - and bother with regular paprika - or is that not the same thing as Hungarian sweet paprika. (The one in the spice aisle...not sure if I'll find anything else...I'm hoping to make it today and didn't want to go to the bigger store...)

Beef Goulash with Dumplings - Simply Recipes

2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

4 cups onions, thinly sliced

1 Tbsp sugar

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 Tbsp caraway seeds, toasted and ground

1 1/2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika

1 teaspoon spicy Hungarian paprika

2 Tbsp minced fresh marjoram leaves

1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves

1 bay leaf

3 Tbsp tomato paste

2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

4 cups chicken stock

2 1/2 pounds chuck roast, cut into 2-inch cubes (remove excess fat)

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Dumplings

2 cups cake flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup milk

2 Tbsp melted butter

1 In a large covered sauté pan, heat the olive oil and sauté the onions and sugar until caramelized. Add the garlic and caraway seed. Cook another minute.

2 Add the sweet and spicy paprika, marjoram, thyme and bay leaf. Sauté another minute, until fragrant.

3 Add the tomato paste. Deglaze with the vinegar and the stock and add the pieces of beef, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cover and cook until very tender, about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

4 To prepare the dumplings, sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Combine with the milk and melted butter, mixing lightly. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into the simmering stew. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Once you have covered the pan, do not uncover while the dumplings are cooking! In order for them to be light and fluffy, they must steam. If you uncover the pan, the steam will escape and the dumplings will boil instead. After 15 minutes, test the dumplings with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, the dumplings are done.

Serves 4 to 6.

Comments (20)