Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunday Gravy questions

Posted by foodonastump (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 12:14

I've been scouting the internet for Sunday Gravy recipes to see if there are any that have any interesting key ingredients or steps. Slight variations, but overall they're pretty much all the same which is fine with me.

The one difference I found was which ribs to use and how long they should be cooked. Of St. Louis, baby back or country style (I know, not real ribs) which would you use and how long would you figure on them simmering?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunday Gravy questions

I do country style or bone in chops. Brown with rest of meat and simmer with sauce the entire time (a few hours). Meat will fall off bones that you remove.

Love doing old school gravy.

o

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 13:17

Definitely country style ribs. That's what my aunts Teresa and Rosa (from Jersey City) always used :-)

Finally! I can login to fix my typo :-)

This post was edited by malna on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 16:01

o

Pork neck bones work very well also, and are often free or dirt cheap at the market. And don't brown them, just let the porkiness simmer into the gravy.

o

Ok so I'm going with country style which, ironically, was last on my list. But with Maggie, Aunt Teresa, and Aunt Rosa all coming from the right areas and agreeing with the Sopranos recipe, I figure I can't go wrong.

Peppi - Neck bones were on my shopping list but unfortunately the shelf was empty. They checked but didn't have it in the back, either. In my mind I would welcome the addition of some "bone" to the mix; would fresh ham hocks (available) be a good addition or a mistake? Don't think I've ever bought or used non-smoked hocks.

Alternatively, would veal blade chops make a difference to the sauce? I've already got more meat than I need, but they're on sale and seemed to have a bunch of bone and fat, so if they would add a dimension I'd throw in a package.

o

Mangia and click with a glass of Chianti Classico :)

o

I also usually have a "piece of pork for sauce" in my freezer. We buy the whole pork loin at BJs and cut and save the ends for sauce.

o

I agree with Peppi - pork neck bones are great in Sunday gravy.

My solution is t buy full untrimmed racks of spare ribs, and when I cut the ribs away from the side that is all cartilage and meat (I think it may be called the chain) I save the non rib sections until I have a few and then make Sunday Gravy. The cartilage adds that wonderful gelatinous quality to the sauce and I have gorgeous St Louis style ribs to smoke.

In the video it is what is being removed to end up with St Louis style ribs.

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: How to trim spare ribs to St Louis Style

o

I might be an honorary Italian Grandmother. It came out great. My only disappointment was the braciole. I don't know if 2 hours cooking was too short or too long, but it was dry and not particularly tender. I'd appreciate advice in that regard, as I have inconsistent results with Rouladen, also.

Oh, and I'm laughing at another misstep: I decided to splurge (fat calories) and try the famous Gilroy Garlic Festival garlic bread. Close to the end of the bake I realized I left out one minor ingredient - the garlic!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here