Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seven Grain Bread

Posted by pink_warm_mama_1 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 11:45

Wegman's makes the most delicious Seven Grain Bread, but it's $5 per loaf. Does anyone have a t & t recipe they can share?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seven Grain Bread

Is it a sandwich loaf? Not sure what style it is that you like.
Take a look at this recipe video and see if it is similar...
Skip to about the 14-15 min mark for the multi-grain.
I've only made it a couple times years ago, or when ever the recipe was in
Cook's Illustrated. Using a multi-grain cereal was the selling point for me at the time
since i did not want to stock so much grain variety.

(if the video does not link for you, just google 'Cooks Illustrated multi-grain bread')

Here is a link that might be useful: multi-grain bread

o

I do have a very good recipe back at my folks place. I can post it next week. It is a bread machine recipe. I might be making it in the not too distant future as I just found the 7 grain cereal in the back of the cupboard!

o

"Seven Grain Bread" isn't just one thing. It can be white, light wheat, whole wheat, or a mixture of grain flours. The bread can be made with a coarse-cut cereal blend or flake mixture added to it, and/or a blend of flours. Check the label for ingredients, then try to find a recipes that goes with the ingredients list.

You can add multi-grain cereal blends (otherwise used for making hot cereal) to nearly any bread recipe (try adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup) for a multi-grain bread and that will give it a bit of "tooth" to the loaf. In some recipes this cereal mixture is soaked first, before adding, or you can add it dry.

You will find Bob's Red Mill has 5-grain, 6-grain, 7-grain, 8-grain, 10-grain available - and they can be substituted one for the other, there isn't any "magic" with the number of grains in the mixture. The blends are not only different grains, but also seeds and beans. I've also purchased, or made my own, multi-grain flake mixtures and used them in bread recipes.

Could you provide more information and a better description of the bread? Do you have a bread machine? Is the bread a wholegrain loaf, or a white loaf? Are there bits of chunky grain throughout the loaf, or are they flakes - which would be more-or-less blended into the bread?

I have lots of recipes, just need more information.

-Grainlady

o

I use this one, I found it on line, I think Cooking.com.

As Grainlady mentioned, I use whatever cereal I have, whether it's 5 grain, 7 grain, 10 grain, whatever. It all works fine.

Multi Grain Bread

1-2/3 cups water (70° to 80°)
3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
2 tablespoons shortening
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons salt
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup five-grain cereal
1-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).

Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 134 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 298 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.

I don't know if this is even close, I like it because it has the multi-grain cereal plus whole wheat. As mentioned, a description would be helpful for us to find a recipe that is similar.

Annie

o

Did not realize a seven grain cereal could be used in bread. It could be called a sandwich loaf I suppose, but is so delicious on its own that the loaf is already gone. Ingredients are: enriched flour (Unbleached unbromated flour), Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), folic acid,, malted barley flour, honey, oats, flaxseeds, wheat, bran, hard red wheat, Hulled barley, Spelt, Soft white wheat, Yellow corn, rye, salt, rye flour, quinoa, hulled millet, amaranth, yeast.

Have no bread machine and use my KitchenAid for kneading due to arthritic hands.

Thank you for your replies and help.

o

Wegmans' recent issue of their in-house magazine describes their 7-Grain Sourdough as:

This rustic bread's robust flavor comes from oats, wheat berries, rye berries, pearled barley, flaxseed, quinoa, spelt berries, honey, sunflower seeds, plus white, barley, and whole wheat flours.

That should give you a better idea.

o

Annie - that bread sounds delish. I got rid of my breadmaker, can I adapt it to using my KA to mix and letting it rise on the kitchen counter? Also, any recommendations on which cereal to use? It is going to snow here again tomorrow (YAY!) and I am thinking a big pot of soup/stew with a loaf of whole grain bread for dinner will it the spot.

Thanks in advance!
Alexa

o

Alexa, there's no reason you couldn't use that recipe with your mixer, I only mix the dough in the bread machine and then I shape it into loaves or rolls and bake it in the oven, I like the crust better.

I usually use the Bob's Red Mill 10 grain cereal, that's what's easiest to find here and I like the assortment of grains they use, but I've used other multi-grain cereals successfully, I got some Quaker multi grain cereal recently and that worked fine too, but it's only barley, rye, oats and wheat, so I reduced the amount a little and added a few spoons of ground flax.

I considered making my own 7 grain cereal mix but couldn't figure out what I was going to do with all those ingredients after I made the cereal, I figured a bag of each would make enough hot cereal to last a lifetime!

Annie

o

Thank you! I will be headed to the store for a few things (does it count if I am buying ingredients to MAKE bread?LOL) and a few other things that are on my normal list like dishwasher powder and paper towels.... but will be jostling with the eggs/milk/bread crowd.

TBH, they have upped the totals here, we went from a "dusting" yesterday morning, they are now saying 8 - 12 inches with 1"/hour accumulations this afternoon and evening.

It will be a great day to stay inside!

Alexa

o

I went rogue and googled a recipe that sounded good... and it is from Cooks Illustrated which has done well for me in the past. I an honestly say, this is the BEST homemade WW/Whole Grain bread I have ever tasted......

Multigrain Bread
Posted By Sara@Our Best Bites On 01.08.2012 @ 10:23 pm
Multigrain Bread
Cook’s Illustrated Cookbook
Ingredients
1 1/4 cup (6 1/4 ounces) seven-grain hot cereal mix
2 1/2 cups boiling water
3 cups (15 oz) all-purpose flour (not bread flour)
1 1/2 cups (8 1/4 oz) whole wheat flour
1/4 cup honey
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled*
2 1/2 teaspoons instant or rapid-rise yeast
1 tablespoon salt
Optional (I omitted): 3/4 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
1/2 cup (1 1/2 oz) old-fashioned rolled oats or quick oats
*If you’re using salted butter, just decrease the additional salt by just a bit.
Instructions
Place cereal mix in bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook and pour boiling water over it; let stand, stirring occasionally, until mixture cools to 100 degrees and resembles thick porridge, about 1 hour. Whisk flours together in separate bowl.
Once grain mixture has cooled, add honey, butter, and yeast and mix on low speed until combined. Add flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, and knead until cohesive mass starts to form (*note: some at high altitudes have noted they have not needed all of the flour, go by look and feel and stop adding flour if you need to!) 1 1/2-2 minutes; cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let dough rest for 20 minutes. Add salt and knead on medium-low speed until dough clears sides of bowl, 3-4 minutes (if it does not clear sides, add 2-3 tablespoons additional all-purpose flour and knead until it does. Don’t add more!) continue to knead dough for 5 more minutes. Add seeds (if using) and knead for another 15 seconds. Transfer dough to lightly floured counter and knead by hand until seeds are dispersed evenly and dough forms smooth, round ball. Place dough in large, lightly greased bowl; cover tightly with plastic and let rise at room temperature until nearly doubled in size, 45-60 minutes.
Grease two 9×5 inch loaf pans. Transfer dough to lightly floured counter and divide in half. Press 1 piece of dough into 9×6 inch rectangle, with short side facing you. Roll dough toward you into firm cylinder, keeping roll taut by tucking it under itself as you go. Turn loaf seam side up and pinch it closed. Repeat with second piece of dough. Spray loaves lightly with water or vegetable il spray. Roll each loaf in oats to coat evenly and place seam side down in prepared pans, pressing gently into corners. Cover loaves loosely with greased plastic and let rise at room temperature until nearly doubled in size 30-40 minutes. Dough should barely spring back when poked with knuckle.
Thirty minutes before baking, adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake until loaves register 200 degrees, 35-40 minutes. Transfer pans to wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove loaves from pans, return to rack, and let cool to room temperature, about 2 hours, before slicing and serving.
Storage: Bread can be wrapped in double layer of plastic wrap and stored at room temperature for up to 3 days. Wrapped with additional layer of foil, bread can be frozen for up to a month.

o

Sorry it took so long, me and my recipe file were separated for a while! This is a sandwich type loaf, not an artisan style recipe. Not very chewy like I like, but not soft and mushy either, kind of middle of the road in all respects!

Multigrain Bread (I think this recipe came from Gold Medal Flour)

Large loaf (1.5 lbs.)

1 cup plus 2 TBLSP water
2 TBLSP butter or margarine, softened
1 1/3 cups bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour (I have whole wheat bread flour)
3/4 cup 7-grain cereal (could use one with more or less grains too I think)
3 TBLSP packed brown sugar
1 1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/4 tsp. regular active dry yeast or 2 tsp. bread machine yeast

PLace all ingredients in the bread pan in the order listed. If you do this in a food processor or mixing bowl I think you would add the yeast to the warmed water.
Use the whole wheat setting in a bread pan. I most often just use my bread machine for doing the dough.

I have always made this one in the bread machine. When I just take a recipe to the dough stage, I usually bake my breads in some type of loaf pan and usually do 400 degrees to start and then finish at 375. It usually takes about 40 minutes or more. I put a shallow pan of water in the bottom of the oven and always start with boiling hot water that I pour in it.

Sorry I can't be more help on the baking instructions, I always have to wing it because I do so many bread machine recipes but bake them in the oven and each time it is different it seems. I have even used the thermometer method of testing loaves for done-ness and that gave me a way overbaked loaf. Does not seem to work for me for meat either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here