Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reheating Grilled Chicken...best way?

Posted by momto4kids (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 11:42

I grilled chicken (boneless chicken breasts...not too thin) last night, grilling enough for last night's dinner and tonight's. My problem with doing this...in the past...has been I have a tendency to overheat or over-something the chicken on Day 2 and it's dry. None of the kids will eat it cold (they'll only eat Nancy's Asian chicken cold and that's not what I did this time!). I've tried a number of different reheating methods, but I still seem to dry it out too much. Thankfully, they don't care...but I do!

What's the best approach? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reheating Grilled Chicken...best way?

Instead of reheating it, could you let it come to room temperature? I almost always use grilled chicken breasts in something that next day- quesadillas, salads, rice, pasta, etc. However, boneless skinless thighs do stay moist and generally are my preferred chicken.
When I do grill boneless breasts, a weekly thing here, I usually slightly under cook so the reheating the next day won't dry them out and separate them from the fully cooked ones so no one will snack on undercooked chicken, typically me!

o

You could steam them, but I generally heat them in the toaster oven at 250 degrees. Before I put them in the TO, I mist them with water and wrap or cover them with foil. At 250 degrees, they take about 10 minutes max to heat up. They will heat up faster at a higher temperature, but I would never go above 325 for five minutes. If I'm using 250, I put them in during the heating up period and set the oven timer to 10 minutes. If they are not hot enough after that, you can always leave them in a little longer.

Often I will add them to some cooked rice and microwave that.

Lars

o

Thanks!

BB, yep, I usually remember to take them out of the fridge ahead of time, hoping that will help. I'm nervous about undercooking them! Really? Okay...I'll try that next time, too. I think I read something last year where someone said something about undercooking and finishing them off later. I just didn't know you could do that safely.

Lars, I like your approach, too, and will probably try that tonight.

My usual method is to toss them in a skillet with a little liquid and put a lid over it. But I think I must get it too hot, too fast and too long.

o

Get a big pot of water heat up to about 150F, check it with a thermometer.

Put the chicken in a Ziplock bag and dump it in the hot water for as long as needed, depending on the size of the chicken. You can even do the same with a frozen piece of chicken, or beef, or pork. Nothing will ever get overcooked or icy inside. It's almost like sous vide cooking.

You may have to heat up the water a little more if the chicken is big.

dcarch

This post was edited by dcarch on Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 14:17

o

One of my favorite uses for extra grilled chicken is to use it in a stir fry. I just cut up the cooked chicken and add it at the end.

Other times I have chopped up the cooked chicken and made a BBQ sauce. Reheat the chicken in the sauce and spoon onto a bun and you're good to go. No buns on hand? Make mac and cheese and put into a casserole dish, layer the BBQ chicken on on top, sprinkle with a little more cheese. Pop it into the oven until the cheese is melted.

Grilled chicken is also great for pizza!!!!

Nancy

o

Like Nancy I re-purpose it. Just reheating doesn't seem to work well for me. I agree with your kids ..it's dry!

I make fajitas, pot pie, stir fry, chicken and noodles...and the like. Anything with a sauce.

o

I'm also not so good at reheating chicken, so I also repurpose it. It's supper for Cooper. (grin)

Actually, that's not actually true all the time, although sometimes it is. I use it in pot pie, in stir fries, in lettuce wraps, in chicken salad or in BBQ sauce like Nancy does.

Nancy, funny you should mention pizza. I just got an email from, of all places, "Grit" magazine. Yeah, the old farmer's "Grit". They had 12 pizza recipes and one was chicken with rosemary and potatoes!

Annie

o

Another way to reheat grilled chicken without overcooking is to use you microwave oven.

Set the power to the lowest. On my 900 watt oven, I set the power to "1" and the timer to 15 minutes.

Or you can try the defrost program and turn the chicken when the microwave oven asks you to.

dcarch

o

I usually make pot pie type filling or risotto, or if there's only a tiny amount, home made cream of chicken soup (mmmmm). But, if I want to reheat slices of cooked meat, I usually gently heat it in matching gravy.

o

Initially, I had planned to have the BCBs along side some veggies. But the HVAC tech, who had been threatening that he was "on his way" since 1:30, hadn't shown up by dinner, I changed to Chicken Pasta Pesto (cheese tortellini, pesto and the repurposed chicken). I heated the chicken more like what DCArch suggested, but with tap hot water, cut it up and tossed in the pot with the cooked tortellini and pesto, covered it and let it sit a few minutes. No one complained...so it must have gotten hot enough.

If I'm not shredding the BCBs for BBQ, stir fry, quesadillas, or similar, I usually do make a gravy/sauce to counter the dryness.

Thanks for the tips on reheating....now I'm armed for the next time!

o

Deb, I had some drier than usual BSchicken breasts the other night. I had planned leftovers for lunch, but knew that when the time came, DH wouldn't be happy. So I sliced the cooked breasts and sauteed them quickly in a broth mixture to great success. I also do this occasionally with rice vinegar, or OJ. depending on the next meal plan.
Reaheating in the toaster over with the meat wrapped in foil, is a favorite way to warm up cold meat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here