Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach Schnapps for Grand Marnier in cake?

Posted by dedtired (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 11:24

Book Club is meeting at my house tomorrow evening. We read "Garlic and Sapphires" by Ruth Reichl, which was excellent and I recommend it. It is the story of her years as the restaurant critic at the NYT.

In the book she includes recipes, so I thought I would make a cake that is the final recipe in the book. It is her Last-Minute Chocolate Cake, which calls for 2T of Grand Marnier. I don't have any and don't want to buy it just for one cake. I do have Peach Schnapps. Could I use that instead or do you think it would be gross. Yes, I know it does not taste like oranges! Orange and chocolate are a pretty classic taste combination.

What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Last-Minute Chocolate Cake

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach Schnapps for Grand Marnier in cake?

Can you mooch a bit from a neighbor? Or do you have any orange extract? Triple sec? If no to both I would just leave it out. Peach does not sound good to me.

Orange marmalade might work.

o

I think mooching is my only hope. I may just buy some fancy cookies from the bakery and forget this idea.

o

Call the state store and see if they have any in the single serve size bottles.

o

I say treat yourself to a small bottle - it will literally last forever and a tot, warmed in a snifter will warm you up like nothing else on a damp, rainy day, or a snowstorm, or a power outage...

o

No no no. No peach schnapps.
Get a tiny bottle of Grand Marnier tomorrow (the state store has them, only about 1/4 cup). If you can't find that, or any other miniature orange liqueur, just use plain brandy.
Happy new year, Pam!

o

Thanks. Great idea. I'll zip over to the State Store before I drop my car to have the oil changed. I hope the predicted snow does not materialize too early or I will be eating chocolate cake and sipping Grand Marnier by myself, which doesn't sound too bad.

o

I wouldn't do the peach schnapps either. Try for a small bottle of grand marnier from somewhere or don't make the cake.
Mary

o

Lacking any booze, add some grated orange zest.

o

So I got some Triple Sec instead of Grand Marnier. Triple Sec was $9 a bottle and Grand Marnier was $22. They did have the teeny bottle of GM -- $3 for a few tablespoons. The cake was easy but I thought a bit dry. I did not have it with ice cream.

Book Club was fun, as always. I look forward to it. It is snowing to beat the band right now so only the neighbors who could walk over showed up, which was fine.

Anyway, glad I did not try the schnapps! Thanks for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here