SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Really good new bread recipe!

teresa_nc7
15 years ago

Okay all you bread bakers, here is a new recipe I have tried twice and it's a winner. I found the recipe on the Sufficient Self web site, posted by prairiegirl. Her notes follow and then my suggestions for variations.

Old Fashioned Oatmeal Bread (makes 2 loaves)

1 cup oats, old fashioned

2 cups boiling water

2 Tab. yeast

1/2 cup warm water (115 degrees)

1/4 cup oil

1/2 cup honey

2 tsp. salt

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

3 - 4 cups all purpose flour

glaze:

1 egg, beaten

1 Tab. cold water

In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil; add oats, stir, cover and let set until it's lukewarm.

In a large bowl; dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Let set 5 min. Add lukewarm oats, oil, honey, salt, whole wheat flour and 2 cups flour. Beat for 2 minutes. Add flour 1/4 cup at a time until dough begins to form a ball, pulling away from side of bowl.

Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic. Use lard to grease a large glass bowl. Place kneaded dough into bowl, turning to coat entire surface with lard. Cover with a cotton towel and let rise in warm place until double - about 1 hour.

Punch dough down, cut in half, and shape each half into a loaf. Place into greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise until double - about 45 minutes.

To make glaze, beat egg and add water. Beat well. Brush each loaf with glaze and sprinkle with about 1 Tab. oats.

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes.

When done, remove from pans and cool.

***I use a kitchen aid mixer to mix and knead dough.

I use lard to grease bowl and non-stick spray to grease the loaf pans.

I test bread for doneness using a thermometer. Bread should be 190 degrees.

Can't wait for bread to cool, so cut and eat right away.

Teresa's variations:

used 1/2 cup rolled oats and 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill grain cereal (5 grain, 6 grain, 7 grain, 8 grain, 10 grain) - pour the 2 cups boiling water over oats and grain cereal mixed together

used 1/4 cup honey plus 1/4 cup molasses

next baking I'm going to increase the salt by 1/2 t. and use half whole wheat flour and half a-p flour

I use safflower oil as my vegetable oil. Canola or corn oil would be fine. I also drizzle oil in the bowl used to rise the bread.

I used shortening to grease the pan, but plan to try to find a small package of lard as I want to get away from the non-stick sprays.

This recipe has a great taste; the oats help keep it moist and it makes really good toast.

Teresa

Comments (17)