Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hokkaido Milk Bread for bread machine

Posted by pat_t (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 11:19

Stumbled across this recipe and was intrigued by the 'tangzhong' method. Jumped right up and made it.

The rolls are lightly sweet and very fluffy. I added an egg and about 1 tsp. salt to it also.

photo HokkaidoMilkBread_zps36ac3267.jpg

photo HokkaidoMilkBread1_zpsfba51673.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Hokkaido Milk Bread Recipe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hokkaido Milk Bread for bread machine

My, they look wonderful!

o

Oh my, that looks good. I think the grandkids will love it.

Off to make the tangzhong now.

o

Pat, how much yeast did you use? The recipe calls for "half packet of Instant yeast(3 teaspoons)", so I'm confused. A pkg. of yeast is something like 2 1/4 teaspoons.

o

I used 2-1/2 tsp. of active dry yeast.

o

I made this Asian style pan de mie over the holidays. I used his recipe posted in The Fresh Loaf . It took 3 days and the bread was wonderfully soft. My daughter gobbled it up. The only thing I would add is some additional salt. I may make it occasionally.. It is quite rich :)

o

Thank you, Pat. I'm making a double batch so I ran in & added some more yeast to the breadmaker for a total of about 3 1/4 t.

It's very, very cold here. Have a pot of navy bean soup going & a new bread recipe twisting away in the bread machine.

o

Ci_lantro - great minds must think alike: I soaked my Navy Beans overnight and will cook them up this morning for lunch!

o

This is very good bread, and very soft. I would have posted a picture after it came out of the oven, but they ate it. My family does not like crusty bread.

It's almost too soft to cut, which explains why it's made the way it is, but it will make GREAT rolls.

I may try and adapt my regular bread recipe to use the tangzhong, since I still have some left, and only a bit of bread, now.

It's got a good crumb, maybe a touch too sweet, but that's easy to fix. And very soft, so kids will like it, and they are the bread eaters in my family.

o

I made a double batch because there was enough tangzhong to do so and because I wanted to test how the bread 'kept'. Also, I cut back on the amt. of sugar when I made the bread.

The tangzhong definitely helps in keeping the bread fresh longer. Mine is still relatively soft over 24 hrs. after baking which impresses me enough to try adapting this technique to some of my other bread recipes.

My loaves had a very nice crispy crust fresh out of the oven. Note that I'm baking in a toaster oven and the top of the loaves were very close to the top of the oven.

Maybe it's just me (or the flour I used--Pillsbury Bread flour, but I thought the bread was lacking a bit in flavor. OR, since the recipe doesn't call for any salt & I didn't add any, perhaps that's part of the problem...salt helps to rein in the action of yeast and I noticed that the dough was really spunky and rose quite fast. No doubt, retarding the rise would help a lot to develop flavor.

Nice crumb but the bread has a little different 'mouth feel'. Kinda' weird but not necessarily disagreeable. Agree that it would make great rolls which is what I'll likely do with the recipe next time, along w/ a bit of salt & at least an overnight ferment in the refrigerator to help develop more flavor.

All in all, the recipe is worth trying. Thank you for sharing it with us, Pat.

o

I used a slightly different recipe, that has a teaspoon of salt. Everything else is the same, I wonder if the salt was left out when it was transcribed.

I used KA all purpose flour. I made the tangzhong yesterday and refrigerated it over night. I made the bread early this afternoon. I used my breadmaker on the dough cycle. It is a very wet dough, and I had some misgivings as I watched it, but it worked.

There's a lot of interesting recipes - bacon chedder bread, PB&J rolls, cinnamon raisin bread, cinnamon rolls....... I bet this dough would make great kolache.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipe.....with salt

o

I have made Hokkaido bread for a while.

It's also interesting using this method to make pizza and baguette.

dcarch

o

I've been trying to get back to this thread for days, but my server or something wouldn't let me. DH was in the hospital so my computer fixer-upper wasn't here to help. Anyway, brought DH home from the hospital on Thursday and he's on almost a liquid diet, working up to something mushy. Made this bread yesterday evening and he not only loved it, he was able to digest it with no problems. He even fed some to our furkind who usually won't eat bread and Sig came back begging for more. I used the dough setting on my bread machine, then took the dough out, shaped into buns and let rise 20 minutes then baked in the oven. I had put the remaining tangzhong in the fridge and was going to ask if it was okay to bring out, let come to room temp then make another batch today. I think I read another post that said they did this. Also, I left the buns in the pan last night to cool and when I took them out, the bottoms were quite wet. I had used cooking spray on the pan prior to baking. This time I'm going to put them on a rack and hopefully won't have that problem again. Oh yes, I did use one egg and around one teaspoon of salt. Also, has anyone figured out how to make it more easily sliceable? Is that a word "sliceable"? So, this bread will be our favorite from now on.

o

I missed this the first time you posted. Sounds wonderful. I'm a newbie and haven't done anything except let the machine do the whole A-Z bread bit. I was wanting to try something with hand formed rolls. This sounds really interesting.
thanks.

o

bcskye, thanks so much for your post! I'm so glad your DH was able to digest this bread!

I only made this into rolls, so I don't know about the 'sliceable' factor. May have to give it another go and try it in loaves. I'll report back if I do.

Bellsmom, if you try it, please post your results.

o
Don't forget the salt

Be sure to add salt, I believe the first recipe posted is incomplete. Pretty much every other recipe calls for salt, and the ones that don't, seem to be copied from the "My way to cook" recipe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here