Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with lots of oranges?

Posted by debrak2008 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 11:01

I bought a box of navel oranges as part of a fundraiser. We have been eating them but there are still so many. We don't do fresh squeezed juice.

Don't laugh but any ideas for a fruit salad? I've rarely ever make a fruit salad and never with navel oranges. My family will eat it though, but what would be a good combo?

Any other cooking ideas? Desserts?

I have 19 oranges sitting on the counter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with lots of oranges?

My favorite winter fruit salad is one we make every year for Christmas morning.

BRUNCH FRUIT SALAD

1 container defrosted frozen strawberries in syrup
1 pint fresh raspberries (or equivalent frozen)
3 - 4 navel oranges, halved and sectioned with a grapefruit knife, plus their juice
1 lb. can peach slices, drained and cut into chunks about the size of the oranges
1/4 cup Chambord liqueur
2 bananas, sliced into 1/4" rounds

Combine all ingredients except bananas and chill up to 24 hours before serving. Just before serving, add bananas. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator.

o

I peel, section and freeze extra oranges. We have smoothies just about every morning, and it is so much easier to throw in frozen sections than having to peel an orange first thing.

o

You can in fact dehydrate slices of oranges.

Some even use the dried slices as Christmas tree decorations. They are like stained glass.

dcarch

o

Duplicate deleted
dcarch

This post was edited by dcarch on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 13:14

o

There's always marmalade :-)

o

The fruit salad I grew up with is simple, and still my favorite.

Apple and Orange cut in uniform, bite size, pieces (I don't peel the apples and I use red apples)
Banana sliced in bite size slices

Toss in a bowl, sprinkle with a little sugar, mix and eat

o

I love citrus (orange or grapefruit) sections in green salad (spinach, arugula, leaf lettuce or romaine, or any combo) with avocado and some very thinly sliced red onion; add toasted nuts of some kind, if you like them. Dress with a citrus vinaigrette.

o

I'm going to make a fruit salad based on the ideas posted here. I will freeze a few. We don't make smoothies yet (waiting for my KA immersion blender to arrive) but that will give some to start with.

Dehydrating sounds interesting. I would make marmalade if you didn't have to can it.

o

Marmalade, like other fruit jams/preserves just requires boiling water bath canning so that's not a huge barrier. If you do half pints, just about any big pot with a rack or towel on the bottom could be used for the boiling water bath.

Navels are easier to make marmalade with because the zest peels off pretty easily and you don't have to de-seed them. It has a better orange flavor than the store bought stuff.

The juice and zest is really nice in quick breads or muffins. I have a walnut cranberry orange bread recipe.

I have a fried rice recipe that uses an orange for flavoring and oranges (zest and juice) can be nice in the sauce for a chicken stir fry.

Orange sections are nice on a salad, especially if you supreme them (cut off the peel and outer membrane, then use a knife to slice each section of pulp away from the membrane) - not just a fruit salad but as a fruit component of a mostly green salad, perhaps with some nuts for crunch and with the juice that comes out when you cut them used as the acid part of the dressing.

Edited to remove a confusing pronoun.

This post was edited by cloud_swift on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 17:14

o

Elena Amsterdam at Elena's Pantry has a gluten-free cake that uses 2 oranges (also at the link below). Someone else has posted this recipe here several times, sorry, I don't remember who, and that's when I used it.

I'm also including a recipe for Fresh Cranberry-Orange Relish. I make this up and freeze it in small plastic containers to serve with poultry dishes. I waited until I found cranberries at 50-cents a bag after the holidays and used fresh picked oranges my sister sent me from Texas :-). -Grainlady

ORANGE CAKE

2 oranges
4 eggs
3/4 cup agave nectar or honey
2 cups blanched almond flour [she uses Honeyville brand from honeyvillegrain.com]
1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

1.Wash the oranges and boil them whole (peel and all) for 1-1/2 hours, or until soft.

2.Place whole oranges (peel and all) in a food processor and blend until smooth.

3.Process in eggs, agave, almond flour, salt and baking soda until well blended.

4.Pour batter into a greased 9-Inch round cake pan.

5.Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.

6.Cool in the pan for 2 hours.

7.Serve.

Serves 6
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FRESH CRANBERRY-ORANGE RELISH
(source: SuperFoods - by Steven Pratt, M.D., and Kathy Matthews)

One 12-oz package Ocean Spray fresh or frozen cranberries, rinsed and drained
1 unpeeled orange (well washed), cut into eights and seeded
3/4 c. sugar (or other sweetener of choice - I use palm sugar, Swerve, or a small amount of agave nectar)

Place half the cranberries and half the orange pieces in a food processor and process until the mixture is evenly chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining cranberries and orange slices. Stir in the sugar. Store in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to serve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elena's Pantry - ORANGE CAKE

o

I make a smoothie with citrus......add non-fat plain yogurt, some soy milk, an orange or two peeled, some sweetener and some ice cubes. I blend it in the Vitamix.
It is very refreshing.

o

You could make a small batch of marmalade and just keep it in the refrigerator, it'll last for a month there, at least, maybe 6 weeks.

You could make orange curd, like lemon curd, and use it for thumbprint cookies, to fill small tarts or meringues, or as a topping for muffins.

And, if you freeze the sections, you could make candied orange peel, yummy dipped in dark chocolate.

Annie

o

See this link.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: dehydrated orange

o

Don't display the oranges on the counter, but in your fridge's veggie bin. They will last ever so much longer.

o

Linked is a marmalade recipe that looks good. Like Annie mentions, it keeps well in the fridge.
We just make a simple fruit salad that has an orange or grapefruit. Because it is acidic it keeps other fruits fresh. The basic one has a chopped apple for crunch texture, mixed with our frozen berries from the summer harvest...blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. (can be found in your grocery freezer as a mix without added sugars)

Recently on Dinners, D&D, a mixed grain and greens salad had lots of orange. I need to look that up. (that show has been really good recently...no longer just burger joints).

My grapefruits and oranges keep a very long time in the fridge crisper drawer.

Here is a link that might be useful: marmalade

o

In Australia we never can jams, either boiling water bath or pressure can. And in thirty years I've never had an issue with marmalade, or had to keep it in the refrigerator.

o

This recipe only uses two oranges but they're an integral part of the flavoring. I have also made this recipe with a 4 lb. bone-in sirloin pork roast, halved the rest of the ingredients and reduced the baking time to 4 hours.

SLOW ROASTED PORK ROAST (Serves 8)

3 small onions, peeled, halved and sliced
2 navel oranges, unpeeled, thinly sliced
1 (7 - 10 lb.) pork shoulder
6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 Tbs. Fennel seed
Salt and cracked black pepper

Day before:
Combine onion and orange slices in roasting pan. Diagonally score fat-side (top) of pork about 3/4" deep in a diamond pattern. Rub garlic, then fennel seeds into top of pork. Season we'll with salt and pepper. Place pork on top of onion and orange slices. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.

Day of meal:
Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Remove plastic wrap. Bake, uncovered, for 7 to 8 hours.

Remove from oven; carefully place roast on clean platter and allow to rest. As roast rests, ladle hot juices into gravy separator. Reserve defatted juices (au jus); keep warm. Slice pork and serve with au jus.

Source: Wegmans magazine

o

Thanks for all the suggestions. Made the fruit salad and we are now down to 14 oranges. The refridgerator is full so no room for the oranges in there.

That chambord liqueur is expensive! Bought a cheaper one di Amore. It was cheaper to buy a big bottle of it then a small bottle of chambord. Now I need to figure out what to do with it all, LOL.

Maybe tomorrow I will make the orange cake....Grainlady can I use regular flour?

o

Just wanted to update. I ended cutting and peeling all the oranges and freezing them. Thank you all for the ideas.

o

This salad is delicious, and there's no reason why you couldn't make it with just oranges and no grapefruit. I clipped it from some magazine, I am not sure which one. But I make it often.

Cardamom Citrus Fruit Salad

1 large ruby pink grapefruit
3 oranges (navel, blood, mandarin or a combination)
1/4 c honey
2 T fresh lime or lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground cardamom

Peel the fruit and cut away the membranes from the individual segments with a sharp knife. Place peeled segments in a large bowl.

Drain off any excess juice from the fruit into a saucepan. Add the lime juice, honey and cardamom. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes then remove from heat and cool to room temp.

Pour over the fruit mixture and gently fold to coat fruit. Chill 15 minutes. Serves 4

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here