SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20012809

What is/are "duck marylands"

User
11 years ago

I was browsing recipes on the New Zealand Herald and this term showed up. Since I live in Maryland, I am curious.

I assume it's "just" a duck, but wonder why it's specifically noted as "duck marylands".

I did notice a mention of "chicken maryland" in another article, which is/was apparently fried chicken, but the referenced duck is apparently a raw ingredient.

Here is a link that might be useful: It's in the first paragraph

Comments (4)

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Here "Chicken Maryland" is always made with a joined leg/thigh piece and butcher's shops refer to the all-in-one leg and thigh as a "chicken Maryland". So I would expect a "duck Maryland" is a joined leg and thigh from a duck. You would get two "Marylands" from one bird.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, a leg quarter. Hmm.....

Certainly not limited to Maryland. But we are quite honored!

• colleenoz
    11 years ago

Not quite, the thigh part would be separated off the carcase so you have _only the thigh and leg_. No idea why, but Chicken Maryland is generally served fried with a banana fritter and a pineapple ring fritter. Not fruits I generally associate with Maryland. Started in the 70s.

Here is a link that might be useful: There's one here

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here, in Maryland, a leg quarter is a leg & thigh and breast quarters are a breast & wing/rib.

I buy leg quarters all the time, they are my favorite. The grandkids like the legs, which they refer to as "chicken on the bone", and I like the thighs. I cut them apart after I roast them.