SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

The Saturday White Bread......Flour Water Salt Yeast........

ann_t
10 years ago

The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
By Ken Forkish

If you are looking to try another bread recipe, this one is very good. The Saturday White Bread takes about nine hours from start to finish.

The bread is baked in a dutch oven. I've only baked bread in a dutch oven once before and that was when the no-knead/five minute bread first came on the scene. I wasn't impressed. I only made that bread once. I didn't care for it. Lacked flavour.

But this bread has great texture, amazing crust and a developed flavour.

There are a number of rests and folds during the mixing/kneading and rise stages.

After the second fold.

Two hours later the dough has tripled.

Ready to shape.

into two large rounds.

Baked for 30 minutes in a covered dutch oven, and then uncovered and baked for another 20 minutes or until the crust is a medium to dark brown.

Instead of slashing the loaves, the bread is allowed to just split naturally for a more rustic look.

The original instructions suggested subbing 100gs of whole wheat flour for 100gs of the white flour, which is what I did, but I also adjusted the water from 720g to 800g for a slightly more hydrated dough. Other than that I followed the recipe.

If you are interested in baking bread, this is one Bread Baking cookbook that I would recommend.

Or if you would just like to try the recipe you can find it on line on a number of sites.

~Ann

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling