Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BB & B coupon questions

Posted by agmss15 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 10:13

So how exactly do these work. I get the coupon and there is a huge list of exceptions - including without fail the item(s) I am interested in buying. Okay but then I read that they make exceptions regularly. Is there a rhyme or reason to their exceptions? Or just an obtuse cashier? BB & B is an hour plus drive for me. I hate to make the drive on a maybe.

Thanks,
Amanda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BB & B coupon questions

I do know they accept expired coupons and will take multiple coupons in one purchase. Meaning if you have 3 items and 3 coupons, they take all of them. It used to be they would take only 1 coupon per transaction.

o

I haven't found any exceptions but then I only asked on one purchase and was declined.

I didn't know about the multiple coupons, thanks.

The coupons you receive in the mail (to your name) are accepted if expired but they adhere to the expiration date on the ones cut from magazines.

My Breville Smart Oven is winking at me (flashing on and off) so I will be replacing it soon with my BB&B coupon in hand. I was really lucky when I purchased it as it was a returned item. I asked if it was discounted and they took 20% off + my 20% coupon.

o

When I bought a Dyson vacuum, the salesman told me the only exception that's enforced is Miele. I don't know if that's their global policy but it holds true at my store. Aside from that, they'll take as many coupons as you throw at them, expired or not.

(20% is small consolation for having to own that vacuum!)

o

Policies vary from store to store. I have never been able to use multiple coupons on a single purchase. The only expired coupons that have not been honored at one store are the online ones that come specifically to your email address after you sign up for them. Another store refused to take any expired coupons at all. The store closest to me will not ship for free if I order at the store. Nor will it allow one to bring coupons after the fact. One poster here said she used her 20% off coupon for a Vitamix. I was floored. My store said no way-no how. I guess the answer is "Try it and see what happens."

o

KD, to your point about "after the fact"--the customer in front of me didn't have her coupon, she was told that she could come back and they would credit her 20%. So it sounds like your experience will vary.

o

If they won't take all your coupons (for multiple items) then just make them do multiple transactions. I did it before they changed their policy. Annoying yes but who cares when you are saving 20% on each item!

o

I find confusing policies off-putting rather than an interesting challenge. I need to channel my ggrandmother bargain hunter extraordinaire.. Ok so in other words - tuck the coupons in my purse and if I happen to be going to Bangor or Augusta - try. But it is not worth a special trip. Thanks!

o

I find it hit or miss. I don't shop bb&b much but they had some end of harvest things i needed...apple peeler, etc. Three items under 20 each with three coupons and it was fussy but they took them. Funny enough, my other cooks supply store honors the bb&b coupons. I like it better as it is all cooking stuff and has good quality and more variety if you need to comparison shop. I would call and get a manager on the phone and ask about the various policies you have heard and being so far away try and get the 'skinny' on that store. Ask their name. If they will honor your coupon, go when that person is there. I actually hate to get fussy with such things but on a high priced item and gas prices...that adds up.

My local pharmacy, one of the big chain stores, had a 10dollar off coupon on my receipt. I turned around and asked what it meant. It was good right away, !?what!. So strange that i could have just bought one thing, then used it on another right then and there. So we thought about what we needed and bought some bandaides. Free. One market give gas points that add up to about 2 cents and not worth the notice or bother. 10 dollars or 20% is worth the trouble.

o

Here the BB&B stores won't take expired coupons or take multiple coupons and it depends on the cashier's frame of mind whether or not they enforce the "exceptions". They will never give you credit if you come back later with a forgotten coupon either.

Of course, I can never find one when I want one, I even tried to get one on line so Amanda could buy a Zumba thing she wanted, but no luck.

I'm not a fan of BB&B, and rarely go there. Here it seems that everything is more expensive than anywhere else and every coupon is a problem.

Annie

o

How odd-- here in California the stores always take expired paper coupons (not online expired) and you can use as many as you like in a transaction. Make sure to cut out the $10 off and $5 off -- they often will save you more than a 20% on small items. Annie, I agree-- they are not inexpensive, however with the coupons, the prices are quite reasonable and they're very easy going about returned goods.
There's one large store nearby that carries all types of sundries, over the counter pharmacy items etc. The prices on those items are far less expensive than Walgreens or CVS. Unfortunately there's only one of these superstores in the vicinity.

o

I'm surprised to be reading all these "fussy" comments. There's a BB&B five minutes from my house so of course that's the one I go to most, but I've gone to several others and have never had a problem using any coupon. Over the holidays my wife went there and upon checkout the cashier called out "I think we have a winner!" meaning the oldest coupon she had seen. It wouldn't even register on the computer so customer service brought another one to scan.

Beyond coupons, I find BB&B to be an extremely accommodating store. Always willing to call other area stores to locate items in stock, place special orders, and most importantly, accept returns with no receipt, no questions asked. I recently returned a leaky Aerobed with no receipt, told them I wanted to exchange it, they said, "Ok, just go get one." That's it. No inspection, no paperwork, no nothing. I just picked it up, they looked to make sure I took the same model, and I walked out the door.

o

If the closest store is an hour away, it may not even be worth it to drive just to save a few bucks right? I mean with the cost of gasoline. I know that with my gas hog, it would cost me $30 just in a round trip for gas! If you have a gas friendly vehicle...just call that store before you go and find out if they will take your coupon. ALSO it would be a good idea to make sure they even have what you want first before you drive that far!

o

More like an hour and twenty minutes. About once a month I acutely miss the retail possibilities of suburban NJ. The rest of the time not so much. Shopping is a lot more work here. Stores are further away and apart, have more limited inventory and fewer hours. Online shopping has it's limitations - re: frozen shattered orange flower water bottles.

Thanks for the input. My coupon is in my purse. Maybe will have time to try to find a bb&b on a trip south on Friday.

o

I use my non-gas hog vehicle for the journeys into the metropolis. LOL.The truck is reserved for farm related and furniture related issues. And I batch my errands. I keep the coupons I receive in the glove compartment, so, if there's something I want and I am in the neighborhood, the coupons are there. I used a totally wrinkled up one from a 2007 flyer last week.

o

FOAS, maybe it's the store manager or maybe the cashiers, but I never have had anything except problems with BB&B. That includes my trip on Saturday with Amanda. No, of course we won't take an expired coupon. And no, even if it wasn't expired, we wouldn't let someone else use it, it's not "transferable". Yeah.....

Since the closest one is 50 miles away, I guess it's not really an issue anyway.

Annie

o

Annie, I'd write to the corporate office. Maybe it's a "Michigan thing", but that's not how they do business here in California or many other locales. Coupon not being transferable is ridiculous Everyone passes them around. That's not the company attitude, I'd call them on it!

o

I have never ever had anyone check my ID to see if I was the one named on the coupon.

o

akgirl, if I'd have given her the coupon first and just let her use it, it might have worked (unless she uses a credit card with her name on it for the purchase and if it wasn't expired). But, when I hauled that coupon out of my purse, I was informed that it was expired and even if it wasn't, I couldn't give it to someone else.

Compumom, I might consider complaining to corporate, if I really cared about shopping there. Since it's a 100 mile round trip for me and always more expensive than somewhere else that I can get the same thing, I just don't go there. If she hadn't said she wanted to go buy it while we were shopping I've have checked online. The same Zumba "Total Body Transformation" set that she bought for $59.99 is available on Amazon, free shipping with my Prime membership, for $51.99, not much more than BB&B if they had taken that stupid coupon.

Annie

o

I shop BBB all the time. We have two stores one is 40 miles away, the other 60 miles. Either store is very accommodating, it seems they go out of their way to please. I have been in line checking out with no coupons and the lady in front of me who checked out turned and offered me five coupons to cover my purchases. Clerk didn't care.

Last spring when I was dealing a waffle iron, I had a instore 20% off coupon mailed to the house, also a 20% on line was offered. Thought I would order online but was going to be charged shipping charges. Went to the store and thought maybe they would order for me and have sent to store, eliminating the shipping charges. They would not send to store but was told they would order for me, using the 20% off coupon and if the shipping charges was a issue they would waiver and send it to my home. That was the deal I took. The clerk also told me BBB does not want the customer to leave the store empty handed. That day they won me for a customer for life.

I also was told BBB honors the outdated 20% coupons that are mailed to your home. I find the more you buy with the coupons the more are mailed to me.

On line just today I found my online 20% off coupon would not work on my highest price item, took it off the next high priced item. When checking the fine print there are some exclusions. Gotta read the fine print.

shirl

o

SCORE! I went to BB&B today to purchase a Breville Smart Oven to replace mine which I have worn out. I took my "mailed to me" coupon knowing that the Breville brand is excluded.

I had coupon in hand and put my dejected look on. It worked, an employee asked it he could help. I said "I came to buy the Smart Oven then I remembered that the fine print excluded Breville." He said not to worry, the only brand they are held to is Miele.

Since I use this oven 75% of the time versus my others, it would be worth it to me if I had not gotten the additional 20% off.

o

Whoo Hoo Cathy! Obviously the Florida & California BB&B employees are far nicer than the ones in Michigan! LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here