Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New dutch oven, 3# boneless pork roast - need recipe

Posted by jenn (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 10:13

After staring at a marked-down Le Creuset dutch oven for almost $300 at Home Goods, we decided to think about it before forking out the money. Our next stop was Costco, where we unexpectedly found a Kirkland Signature Dutch Oven MADE IN FRANCE, the same size as the 'other' one but only $70. The reviews I've seen everywhere are excellent.

We have a 3# boneless pork loin roast that I'd like to cook in the new dutch oven. Anyone have a favorite T&T recipe?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New dutch oven, 3# boneless pork roast - need recipe

I smear it with mustard, brown sugar, and seasonings, wrap it tightly in foil, set it in a baking dish, and let it simmer in its juices for a few hours at 275. Then I give it a quick brown in a shallow pan on 400 convection. I think you could substitute a tightly covered dutch oven for the foil. It always comes out tender.

o

This is my favorite way to make pork roast:

APPLE CIDER BRINED PORK ROAST

3 cups apple cider
3 cups water
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup salt
1 tbls black peppercorns
1 tbls coriander seeds
1 2 lb. Pork loin, trimmed
2 cups cider
1 � tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 � tsp chopped fresh sage
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until salt dissolves. Remove from heat, cool, and pour into a Ziploc bag or container big enough to hold the pork loin. Add pork, seal and let marinate 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350, bring 2 cups cider to a boil over medium high heat. Boil until cider is thickened and reduced to � cup, about 15 minutes. Set aside. Remove pork from bag or container and discard brine. Place pork on broiler pan or baking dish and lightly coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining herbs and bake about 1 hour, until pork is done, basting twice with the reduced cider in the last 20 minutes of baking. Remove from oven, baste with remaining cider reduction. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

Serves 8

200 calories per 4 oz. Serving, 6 grams fat

Annie

o

Annie: Your pork recipe sounds like something we would enjoy. The amount for the reduction of cider has those funny characters-is it reduced to one and 1/2 cups? Also same question on rosemary and sage. I assume it is also one and 1/2 tsp.for each? Sorry, I tried changing the view encoding, but it just gives me other funny characters! Some times it works and some times not.

o

Here's the copy I saved sans funky characters:

APPLE CIDER BRINED PORK ROAST

3 cups apple cider
3 cups water
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup salt
1 tbls black peppercorns
1 tbls coriander seeds
1 2 lb. Pork loin, trimmed
2 cups cider
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh sage
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until salt dissolves. Remove from heat, cool, and pour into a Ziploc bag or container big enough to hold the pork loin. Add pork, seal and let marinate 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350, bring 2 cups cider to a boil over medium high heat. Boil until cider is thickened and reduced to 1/4 cup, about 15 minutes. Set aside. Remove pork from bag or container and discard brine. Place pork on broiler pan or baking dish and lightly coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining herbs and bake about 1 hour, until pork is done, basting twice with the reduced cider in the last 20 minutes of baking. Remove from oven, baste with remaining cider reduction. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

Serves 8

o

Thanks, Maina- I would have had that reduction amount way off!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here