Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tasty but tough roast beef. What to do?

Posted by bob_b (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 5, 11 at 10:00

I roasted a beef cross rib, 2 1/2 pounds, yesterday. Very tasty and very tough. I was thinking what I could do with it. First off, I know I will grind it in the Kitchen Aid grinding attachment. Then what? Lasagne, beef patties? Any good ideas?
RB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tasty but tough roast beef. What to do?

Over cooked it eh?
I wouldn't grind it I could cut it up into cubes and make stew....or slice it and simmer in some beef stock, season well with soy sauce, garlic and oregano and call it Italian beef...
But ground? about the only thing I can think of is to add mayo and pickle relish and made sandwiches.
Linda C

o

How did you cook it? If you didn't pot roast/braise then that is what I would do with the rest of it. Put it in a covered roasting pan , along with some onions, garlic, herbs (rosemary, thyme) and beef broth/wine (whatever works for you) and into a 300° to 325°F oven and cook until fall apart tender. Time will depend on size of roast. Two to four hours probably.

Ann

o

I'd probably do the same treatment as Ann suggested but if you've already ground it, how about some classic beef croquettes?

o

You could also make a Shepherds Pie if you have already ground the roast.

Ann

o

No, the roast was not over cooked. In fact in was quite pink and juicy. AS per instruction in Joy of Cookling, I seared the outside of the roast at high heat and then continured the roast at low heat for both crust and tenderness.

It was a lean roast, like most cross ribs, not marbled like a chuck roast which is ideal for braising and long stewing. My experience with lean beef is that long braising, while it may result in a tenderer meat, also gets quite dry. Hence the decision to grind and use in some other fashion.

RB

o

If you are set on grinding it, I'd consider reincarnating it into chili con carne (excuse the pun.....).

The other option is cube it, and toss it in a pressure cooker with a jar of salsa = instant Mexican! (food)

o

Did you let the roast rest before cutting into it? That can make a roast tough, too.

o

I've had that experience with a cross rib. Tasty but not very tender. I'd slice it super thin and eat it as an open faced sandwich on a crusty roll, with some cheese broiled on top. Or a French dipped sandwich.

o

Shepherds Pie is a family favourite here. I often make it from left over ground roast beef.

Shepherds Pie

4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
3/4 cup diced onion, about 1/2 medium
1 cup diced celery I usually omit the celery and add frozen peas)
2 cups diced carrot, about 2 medium
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 heaping tbsp tomato paste (I often use Worcestershire too)
2 tbsp flour
1 cup red wine ( I often omit)
2 1/2 cups beef stock ( I use 1/2 stock one half my brown sauce)
1 sprig rosemary
1 sprig thyme
Salt and pepper to taste

4 medium cooking potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 cloves garlic, smashed
butter
1/4 milk
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese I often omit)
salt and pepper to taste

1. Add 2 tbsp vegetable oil to large pan over medium high heat. Add ground beef.
2. Cook until excess liquid is gone and meat is starting to brown. If required drain of any fat.
3. Remove meat from pan and deglaze with red wine, let reduce slightly.
4. In another large pot, add remaining vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery; cook until soft but not browned, about 5-7 minutes.
5. Add garlic and add tomato paste. Brown paste slightly then sprinkle in flour. Cook out for a minute or two
6. Add in red wine, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan.
7. Add beef stock, rosemary, thyme. Return browned meat to pot. Simmer, covered for 20-25 minutes.
8. Remove lid and continue cooking for another 10 minutes; liquid will reduce and thicken. Remove rosemary, thyme . Season well with salt and pepper.

Potatoes

1. Add quartered potatoes and smashed garlic to medium pot.
2. Boil until potatoes are tender but not overdone, about 15-20 minutes.
3. Strain potatoes; let dry out slightly in colander before returning to pot. Add milk, butter, pepper, Parmesan cheese and more salt if necessary.
4. Mash potato masher.

Preheat oven to 400. Spoon filling into the bottom of a 10-inch round casserole dish. Top with potatoes. Grate parmesan cheese on top and dot surface evenly with butter. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake on middle rack until top is golden and filling is warmed through, about 20-25 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.

o

I still remember ground beef salad sandwiches from my childhood. Not fondly. My mother would turn old beef into sandwiches for our school lunches by putting the meat through a grinder with pickles and mayo. To be fair, the key word here is "old". Guess she figured if her kids were hungry enough when lunch time rolled around, they'd eat just about anything.

seagrass

o

Sharon, your Shepherds Pie looks delicious. I make mine similar to yours but I leave out the carrots add the celery and I serve peas on the side.

A cross roast is not my choice for dry roasting. Although it has good flavour, it is not a tender cut and really not the best suited for roasting. This cut really is better as a pot roast.

Ann

o

Hi Bob, I used cross ribs a lot when my boys were growing. And thin slicing is the key, as barnmom said. Getting those long tough fibers cut across into short chewables. I cooked mine med. rare. The next day I'd cut the roast in half to be able to slice off thiner slices. For a sandwich, I'd cut a slice into bite-sized pieces. Yum. Still chewy but delicious.

When doing stroganoff, allow the thin slices to be at room temp. and add to the hot sauce just before serving to minimize furthur cooking. Same for a stir fry.

Another favorite use of this cut was to freeze it uncooked and slice slivers for stir fry.

I got adept at choosing a more tender cross ribs by noticing the color. If they were bright red and no thin marbling at all, pass. Aged beef isn't bright red. And with the change a few years back of USDA nomenclature most groceries are not selling choice but commercial (?). Have to buy filet mignon in that grade to be tender!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here