Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boston Butt Roast (w/bone)

Posted by shaun (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 4, 11 at 9:58

What would YOU do with it?

Need suggestions, but not in the mood for BBQ sauce. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boston Butt Roast (w/bone)

Oh yum, I'd be making pulled pork. I have trouble slicing the butt roasts very nicely but they fall apart and "pull" really well.

Cubed it makes a good pork stew, I think Teresa from North Carolina posted the one with sweet potatoes, it was really good.

Annie

o

I roast it at 350 with thyme and garlic rubbed all over it. Cook to about 140 degrees and start off at 450 degrees for 30-45 minutes to get a crispy skin.
Serve with caramelized apples, some kind of potato, greens.

o

Pulled pork all the way! Impregnate w/garlic, dry rub overnite if ya got the time. "Low and slow" as they say. I usually toss an apple or two in as well. 275 for like 4 hours depending on the size. It will just fall apart at the point. High enough fat content to require very little gravy and you'll have loads of pan drippings. I also mix in a few dashes of cider vinegar when I'm done with the pulling. I always serve mine w/ cole slaw.

o

I'd cover it with sliced onions and a few thin slices of lemon....put it into a 425 oven and cook for about 30 to 40 minutes....all should brown well....then turn the oven down to 325, pour some apple juice or white wine...or even beer over the meat, clap on the lid and cook another 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
It will be pretty falling apart....
If you want, degrease the stuff in the bottom of the pan and thicken it to serve with the meat.
Linda c

o

I love a good Boston Butt roast!

Rub all over with "The Chef's" Bavarian Gold Pork & Poultry seasoning (made in MI, by the way)

Start in a 450-475 oven for 20-30 minutes.
Reduce oven to 325, roast until done.
(170 on my oven thermometer)

Serve with applesauce or cranberry sauce,
mashed potatoes & gravy,
A good tossed salad,
And your favorite cooked vegetable.

Also good with baked-in-their-skin sweet potatoes.

Leftovers make great sandwiches,
either hot or cold roast pork sandwices.

Or use the leftovers for the pulled pork.

Enjoy!

Rusty

o

I would cook it like a pot roast with the Hungarian seasonings in the following recipe, then pull it off the bones in big hunks and serve the meat with noodles and a cucumber salad. Oh yea - and I would probably leave the mushrooms out, but only because i'm not in the mood for them right now! LOLOLOL!

Alexa

Gomba Porkolt - Pork And Mushroom Stew
Time 120 minutesServes 6Ingredients
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
1-2 lbs pork steaks, cut in cubes and trim the fat
2 med. onions chopped
4 T of oil
2 tsp paprika
3 cloves garlic pressed
salt to taste
pepper to taste
water as needed
sour cream
fresh mushrooms cleaned and chopped in half, more if large.
How to make it
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------
in frying pan, saute onions in oil til transparent,
add paprika and mix together
add cubes of meat to lightly brown and stir well to not burn
add water so that it just covers the meat
add pressed garlic and salt and pepper to taste, mix well and often during cooking
cook on low with cover for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours til meat is tender
once done add sourcream and mix well.
serve with mashed potatoes and cucumber salad.

o

Ummmmmm all these suggestions sound great!

Thank you for confusing me. I know I know, I asked for it. hahah!

I'll let you know which one I use. Or maybe I'll do a combo of them all...... hee hee and we'll call it ...

The Cooking Forum's Butt

o

If you're feeling adventurous, try Marcella Hazan's pork loin (you can use boston butt as well) braised in milk, Bolognese style. Simple and delicious.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pork braised in milk

o

Ok, its in the oven. I used a combo of all the above suggestions; except Arly's! Sorry, I just came back here and read your suggestion after I had it in the oven.

So here's what's in it.

Slices of onions, fresh garlic, black pepper, Mrs. Dash Table Blend, sweet potatoes sliced thick, apple juice and a little brown sugar.

It's in my Princess House Crystal Baking Dish, covered. I hope it comes out like a stew with big chunks of the meat........ and not too sweet. I didnt use very much brown sugar, just about 1/4 cup at most.

I put it in the oven at 475 and will let it go an hour then I'll lower it to 300 for another 3 hours or so.

I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks for all the suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here