SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacy3_gw

mascarone icing for beanthere

stacy3
14 years ago

sorry for the delay! Just remembered to check the thread...

Here is the entire recipe from the Waldorf Astoria cookbook. Scott bought it for me when we stayed there last spring. Feel free to bypass the cake part, but I thought someone else might be interested.

Stacy

Red Velvet Cake

serves 8-10 (one 9 inch layer)

3 oz sweetened chocolate, chopped

2 cups granulated sugar

4 large eggs

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil

1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

2 cups AP flour

2 1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 pounds canned beets, drained and pureed (chef's note - Sliced canned beets are easier to work with than whole beets)

1 tsp red food coloring

Icing

2 cups heavy cream

12 oz cream cheese, room temperature

12 oz mascarpone cheese

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter three 9 inch round cake pans and line with parchment or wax paper

To prepare the cake

Melt the chocolate in a metal bowl set over a saucepan of boiling water or in the top of a double boiler (or melt in microwave for 20-25 seconds)

Meanwhile, place the sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed for 2 minutes. In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and continue to mix on low speed, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula so everything is well incorporated. Add the melted chocolate to this m ixture and continue to mix on low speed. Add the pureed beets, and food coloring. Continue to mix on low speed until everything is thoroughly combined. Evenly divide the batter between the 3 prepared pans and bake in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the center of the cake springs back when touched, or when an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove the pans from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool for 10 minutes in the pans, then turn the layers out onto the rack and let cool completely.

To prepare the icing

Pour the cream into a small bowl and whip to soft peaks. Set aside in the refrigerator. Place the cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until it is soft and smooth. Add the mascarpone and continue to mix on low speed until the cheeses are well combined. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar and mix until everything is just combined. Turn off the mixer and fold in the whipped cream by hand with a spatula. Keep refrigerated until ready to assemble.

To assemble

Using a serrated knife, trim the top of each layer of cake so that it is flat. Place the first layer on a cake plate or serving platter and top with some of the icing. Repeat until all the layers are covered with icing, then ice the top and sides of the cake. Store the cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

I even have a pic of it! We were there on my birthday so after the Phantom, we ordered some from room service. :-)

and just for the heck of it, here is a pic of a waldorf salad from the Waldorf=Astoria...:-)

Comments (2)