Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of tape makes parchment paper stick?

Posted by barb5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 22, 10 at 9:14

I have seen in decorating books chefs use parchment paper to make pastry bags. I've got the technique down to fold the paper into a bag, but haven't found a tape to make the paper stick together. The cookie decorating book I have says to use masking tape, but it doesn't stick to the paper. Have also used regular tape that you would use to wrap a present in, but that doesn't work either.

Am hesitant to branch out and use stuff like electrical tape, or even duct tape, because I'm not sure if they would be food safe.

Anyone use parchment paper to make pastry bags? What tape do you use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of tape makes parchment paper stick?

I use a stapeling gun. In fact, I got the idea from one of my cake decorating books.

Works for me!!

o

My very first job was in a bakery when I was 15. One of my jobs was making pastry bags. There's actually a way to fold the bag so it stays in place but the easiest way is to staple it.

Tracey

o

Okay this lady used a touch of Scotch tape...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pachment Pastry Bag video

o

Thanks for your responses. I think stapling the top may be the best way.

And Terri, it is interesting on the video link you posted, that she tapes around the point end. I'm thinking she uses a long enough peice so that the tape is taping to itself and not to the paper. I was trying to tape at the wide end, but I am going to try it the way she does, because I end up with icing leaking around the tip occasionally. That piece of tape may fix that problem.

Can't wait to try this. I ordered a heart cookie cutter today and am planning on decorating for Valentine's day.

o

Barb, I hope it works..I just buy disposable plastic pastry bags..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here