Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using pre-cooked blue mussels - heating time?

Posted by netla (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 7:54

I hope you guys can help me. I was given two packs of pre-cooked blue mussels in the shell and I'm thinking about adding some to a seafood dish I plan to make for lunch tomorrow. I don't want the mussels to get all rubbery through overcooking, but there are no instructions on how long they should be heated to get them warmed through, so I though I would ask here. The shells range from about 2 to 3 inches in length and I will thaw them before I use them. I'm thinking maybe a couple of minutes would be about right, but I want to be sure. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using pre-cooked blue mussels - heating time?

Personally, I might just use them thawed in a seafood salad sort of thing, I would be worried about them getting rubbery too.

I guess you could put them in a steamer basket and just keep checking to see if they are warm....

Alexa

o

Mussels don't get so tough from cooking as clams. I don't think you have to worry much about that. I'm thinking maybe 5 minutes or so starting from cold would be about right, but keep an eye on them and use your judgement.

Jim

o

I agree. Mussels don't easily get rubbery - I am lucky to have a source of fresh mussels whenever I want and cook them often, so I cook extras and use them in a pasta dish the next day. I'd add them when the rest of your dish is hot and bring it back to temperature and they'll be heated through and still tender.

o

I would assume pre-cooked clams or mussels are already overcooked. So you can't overcook overcooked mussels.

May be just pick a couple and boil them and see what happens.

dcarch

o

As a point of reference, the instrux on a box of frozen mussels in garlic butter sauce says cook from frozen, 4-5 minutes then simmer 2-3 minutes.

What are you planning to make? If a seafood stew or similar I'd add them at the end, off the heat or on extremely low heat (below simmer), and try one every minute or so until they seem just heated through but not super hot.

p.s. Netla, am I correct that we haven't seen you here in quite a while? If so, welcome back!

o

Thanks, Foodonastump. I've mostly been lurking for the last couple of years.

The dish is baby potatoes and langoustines fried in butter with garlic and onions. I figured it would be interesting to add some mussels and a little white wine for variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here