SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Going it alone

kittymoonbeam
10 years ago

My mom is recovering from a hospital stay and I didn't want her doing any hard work or exhausting herself. I jumped in and did the entire family Christmas and New Years meals myself. Usually for myself, I make plain food that does not need much time to prepare. But for the family and to make mom happy, I did the full traditional dinners. When the time came to finally eat, I just felt wiped out. I sat down for 40 minutes and just stared at my plate while people talked. After putting everything away and washing up, I was so tired that I wanted to go straight to bed.

I made a roast turkey, dressing, cranberries, mashed potatoes and gravy,stuffed mushrooms, green beans, young peas in the pods, carrots with a glaze, Japanese yams, fruit salad, green salad,and I bought bread and a pie the previous day. I usually bake the bread and pie fresh but not this year .

For New Years, it was about the same thing except that we has bbq chicken breasts and thighs and squash instead of the yams and only carrots and peas and no green beans. Where do you put all the pots and how do you keep it all hot at the same time when you have 3 different veggies to serve? Do you put it all in the oven in covered dishes? I usually do the pie and cakes and the bread and sometimes a special vegetable from a magazine or cookbook. Everyone was pleased with the food and I think it was good because it was fresh from the farmers market but I really was wiped out doing it all myself this time.

Am I just a wimp or are there things I could have done to make it easier on myself like chopping things the day before, etc.?

This post was edited by kittymoonbeam on Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 3:28

Comments (16)