Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Movie Day Updates

Posted by moonwolf (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 1:34

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all staying warm from this very frigid winter! Just wanted to give some updates on our movie day. The menu is almost complete, but it's not definite on what everyone is bringing to share. Here is the menu as it stands currently (me and my friend/our hostess's contributions/concoctions):

Lemonade
Popcorn
Ranch Oyster Crackers
Tortilla Roll Ups/Pinwheels
Mandarin Orange Cake

I told the others that chips and dip would be good. I love a good guacamole! (Had some for the first time at the theatre last year. Dee-lish!)

I did get a new clear, plastic, scalloped-edge serving tray for only a dollar at DG. It's larger than the other serving tray I have, but I will still take both along in case they are both needed.

There will be at least 7 of us gathering together, maybe up to 10 at the most. It's gonna be a wonderful time! We're going to watch some older movies (I'll be supplying those as well). I'll take an assortment along, and we all can take a vote on what to watch. Some selections include:

Carrie (the original)
Steel Magnolias (the original)
Mrs. Doubtfire
Twister
The Brave Little Toaster (how appropriate to post here lol)
Mask (the 1985 film with Cher, Sam Elliot, and Eric Stoltz)
Silkwood
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Little Shop Of Horrors (the 1986 musical version)

I crocheted 15 of these stars as decorations to hang up in our friend's living room and kitchen. I was thinking of making something else, but I am not sure.
 photo 190_zps27de2a6d.jpg

I think that does it for the updates. Hope you're all doing well!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Movie Day Updates

Those stars are sweet! It sounds fun.

o

Great job on the menu Brad. The stars you made are fantastic, good job. Did you use other colored yarns? Are they all the same color?
Mary

o

Thank you islay_corbel, and Mary!

Mary, I made all the stars the same color. I'm going to hang them up with gold ribbon.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Wow, Brad, those crocheted stars are really perfect. If I tried that they wouldn't even look like stars. Maybe I could pass them off as planets, LOL.

We all love those ranch oyster crackers, that's a good choice and something different than just chips.

I don't watch many movies, but I loved "Steel Magnolias", Shirley MacLaine's character is my role model. (grin) I still smile when I think of Mrs. Doubtfire's "drive by fruiting" of Pierce Brosnan and the girls used to just love "The Brave Little Toaster".

It sounds wonderful, have fun!

Annie

o

LOL Annie, I'm surprised they even turned out that well for me. I don't crochet all the time, but I thought it would've been fun to make some decorations for the movie day. It's funny since there are hanging stars at Carrie's prom, too. I was thinking of crocheting a garland with magnolia flowers on it (yes, there are patterns for that, too lol), but I think that would be going overboard.

I've never had ranch oyster crackers, but they do sound very good.

Steel Magnolias is one of my all time favorite movies. I think even the guys who will be in attendance will laugh and cry (don't wanna spoil it for you who haven't seen it). I love Ouiser, too. "I'm not crazy, M'Lynn. I've just been in a bad mood for 40 years!" LOL. Mrs. Doubtfire is always a good source if you're in need of a laugh (who could forget when poor ol' Robin was cooking dinner). The Brave Little Toaster is a fond memory of my childhood. Oddly enough, I'm listening to a song from it right now lol ("Worthless", the one sung in the junkyard).

Just a little less than a month until the big day!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

The menu items you listed sound yummy and I'm sure everyone will enjoy them. On the movies, I guess I'm twisted, but I love Rocky Horror Picture Show and the musical Little Shop Of Horrors - "Feed Me". Then again, Carrie and Mrs. Doubtfire are two of my favorites as well.

Your stars are really nice and that's a good idea to decorate with them. I'm with Annie, if I tried them, they'd look like anything but stars.

As for enjoying the frigid weather, well I fled my home (in the worst of the snow, winds and below zero temps) the first chance I could get the motorhome down the steep hill on the thirteenth of this month and am totally enjoying sunny, shorts and light tops weather in Ft. Myer, Fl. My sympathy is with everyone getting the horrid weather.

Madonna

o

The ranch oyster crackers are addictive and you can use the same recipe with ritz bits (the mini sandwich crackers). My favorite though is this one:

Snack Mix

3/4 C. canola oil
1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
1/2 tsp. dill weed
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 small bag pretzels sticks or pretzel snaps, or mini twists
1 pkg. mini oyster crackers (not the regular-sized ones)
2 pkg. Pepperidge Farm yellow cheddar gold fish
1 box white cheddar cheeze-its

Mix everything together. Original recipe does not say to bake. My friend doesn't but I bake it at 250 15 - 20 min. Either way it's really good and a little different take on the ranch oyster crackers.

o

Georgysmom, I always bake mine too. I do like the idea of adding pretzels.

Madonna, enjoy the weather. Who knows what it'll be when you get back, LOL.

Annie

o

Madonna, glad you're getting some nice sunshine and warm weather on your vacation in Florida! I think my friends will have some tough choices on deciding on what movies to watch lol. I have been fortunate enough to see Little Shop on stage twice. It's my favorite musical. I have the original theatrical version and the director's cut with the ending they were going to use (the same ending that is for the stage play).

georgysmom, Thank you for the recipe. It sounds delicious!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Your welcome, Brad. I forgot to mention that you can also use the oyster cracker ranch recipe with sour dough beer pretzels. Break the pretzels up in bite-size pieces. Enjoy your movie night. sounds like fun. My movie group does a movie night on occasion and we will be doing an Oscar party.

o

That is quite the variety of movies you have planned!

Recently we made a list of classic funny movies and added them to our netflix list. I'm no longer into scary movies.

o

Thank you georgysmom and debrak2008!

Debrak, that is only a fraction of movies/DVDs I plan on taking lol. I still don't have a definite list, but I have lots to choose from. Not sure how many we'll get through, but I'm sure we'll have fun.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Brad, your party sounds like fun. I love The Rocky Horror Picture Show, but remember to bring rice, newspapers, rubber gloves, etc., for your full enjoyment. :O)

GREAT JOB on the crocheted stars! Did you use a pattern or just wing it? After your movie night you could continue and make them into 'granny squares' and turn them into pot-holders or even a lap afghan. :)

o

I would LOVE to have those things for the party, but I think only two of the people who are going to be there (not including myself) have seen it or part of it. I would love to take my male Usherette costume along, but I have too many things to take already.

I used a pattern for the stars. I may save them for another movie night, or another party.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here