Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have good Plain Fluffy Waffle Recipes?

Posted by heidiho (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 25, 08 at 1:05

We stayed at a motel in Galveston for a month 'cause my husband was on a job and they had the best waffles on their continental breakfast. They were crunchy on the outside and fluffy and soft on the inside. They had one of those flip waffle irons with the timer on it. I ordered one of these waffle irons today and wish I could find this recipe and also regret not asking them for it. Thanks for your time and have a nice weekend.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have good Plain Fluffy Waffle Recipes?

The key is to separate your eggs and beat the egg whites until stiff. Mix the rest of the ingredients together. "Marry" the egg whites with the rest of the batter by gently folding in a couple of tablespoons of beaten egg whites into your batter. This lightens the batter so that your egg whites don't flatten when you add the rest. Then gently fold in the remaining beaten egg whites. Don't be tempted to give a good stirring. You'll defeat the purpose of the beaten egg whites.

I can post my recipe in the morning. I'm too tired to type from a book right now.

o

We have a Belgian Waffle Maker and so far my favorite waffles are the ones made with the King Arthur Belgian Waffle mix. Boy they are delicious. They have yeast in the mix and you also beat the egg whites and add them to the mix. The waffles have an outstanding taste!

Here is a link that might be useful: Belgian Waffle Mix

o

After staying in a certain hotel chain known for having waffles, made in a flip waffle iron, I not only bought the waffle iron but the waffle mix purportedly used. It is Carbon's Golden Malted Pancake and Waffle mix. It is sooo good--but pricey, $10.00 for a container at the W-S store. No other mix I've tried even comes close to being as good. I haven't tried the King Arthur one, though--it sounds tasty, too.

o

I use the All-American Waffles recipe (a classic recipe) instead of the Begian Waffles recipe (old world taste)that came with my waffle maker. I find it lighter and crispier. Sometimes I add blueberries!

All-American Waffles

2 eggs, separated
1-3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1-3/4 cups flour
2 Tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Beat egg yolks, stir in milk and oil. Add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir just until large lumps disappear. Beat egg whites until stiff and gently fold into batter. Bake and serve.

TIPs:

For a little crispier waffle, you may use a cooling rack to let waffles cool down and dry out.

When serving, flip the waffle over oonto a plate with bottom side up. Gravity lets the bottom fill out completely, whereas there is not always enough rise for the batter to perfectly fill out the top half of the waffle grid.

If you need to take a short break, or are interrupted, close the baker to maintain maximum heat. A hot waffler produces best results. Waffles may tend to stick if the iron cools down.

o

Here's my old recipe for waffles:

Sweet Milk Waffles

2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs separated
1-1/4 cups sweet milk
1/3 melted shortening (I use butter)
2 teaspoons sugar (I usually add a little more to the batter)
(1 teaspoon vanilla)

Sift four, measure and resift twice with baking powder
and salt. Beat eggs, add milk and melted shortening,
and immediately stir into flour mixture, beating until
smooth. Beat egg whites until stiff, add sugar in 2
portions and beat again until stiff. Fold lightly but
thoroughly into batter (I do the additional step of
marrying the mixtures). Bake in a hot waffle iron,
using 1/2 cup for each waffle, until golden brown.
Serve immediately.

My edition is dated 1961.

My additions are in ( ).

I add chocolate chips or chopped chocolate sometimes. We freeze the extras. They warm up nicely in the toaster.

o

Heidi:
I think I talked to you about this before.
If not, don't mind me I'm old !!!
I had a tip from Barnmom to perfect this recipe.

I always gain about 2 lbs. when getting something right.

This recipe is PRE ERRORIZED !!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

LOUS - Crispy, Tender, Delicious, Mouth Watering,

Pancakes and Waffles Recipe :

2 cups milk ( Ive been using powdered milk)
2 eggs ( separated ) .
1/3 cup of veg. Oil
2 tablespoon of vanilla
Pinch of salt
cup Sugar

1 cup of Wheat Flour
4 teaspoons Baking Powder
All Purpose flour
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mix Pancake Batter:
Put the first 6 ingredients ( except egg whites ) in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
Put in the Wheat flour, Baking pwd. and some All Purpose flour.
Beat until smooth. Add enough flour to thicken slightly,
(were it leaves ripples while mixing ) not thin and loose.
Beat the egg whites with a teaspoon of sugar, until peaked.
Add the egg whites to the batter and fold in easy.
Beat the other of the whites until very stiff and fold these in also.
After the pancakes are cooked, I put plastic in between for freezing.

For Waffles:
Thicken a little more, to where you have to move it around with a spoon,
when it is put on the waffle iron . Then do the egg white thing as in the pancake batter.
When baked I cool them fast on a rack and put them in a plastic bag,
and right in the freezer.

If you overcook a little, dampen slightly with water,
before you put them in the toaster oven.

As for the waffle iron , I have a very old round one with adjustable heat Range.
It makes a waffle about inch + thickness. For me this is just right,
for the amount of butter and syrup that you can put on top.
I dont use the Belgium Waffle Maker ; except when Im adding
Ice cream and fruit topping , because its too much waffle for the
amount of syrup and butter. But may be good for you.!

If I want a Belgium Waffle, I just make a double decker and
put fruit or whatever filling in between.

Then you have more cooked surface area , on the Waffles.
Which is where most of the flavor is ( the cooked surface )

I just recently found a Waffle Baker to match my old one.

It is a Round , Cusiniart model- WMR - CA .
I bought it on sale in Macy's for $29

For you Bakers who use Karo. They are still making the Dark Corn Syrup.

I use the Karo, Pancake and Waffle Syrup, it is thicker and
has a good flavor.
It is hard to find! and is not Dark, like the baking Karo.
It doesn't make the Waffles or Pancakes soggy.

I also have 2 cans of Pure Maple Syrup! I like Karo better.

Now, some of you may post all the bad things, about my choices.
I don't care !!! I like the taste.
Lou

o

Barnmom does it like I do.

I make my batter, omitting the egg whites. I also use half melted butter and half vegetable oil for the fat. And, I use buttermilk or soured milk, not regular milk.

Whip the egg whites into peaks, then fold them into the batter.

Immediately put them on the hot waffle irons and you will have the most flavorful and light waffles.

Did you know you can put room temperature butter and real maple syrup together and whip them to be thicker and fit into the holes better? Oh yea. Lots of butter and maple syrup.

o

Disneyginger: Maybe I should try it your way. Mine taks too long to read. LOU

o

Lou, using powdered milk will give you a crunchier crust on the light waffles.

I found that out camping one time. I never have powdered milk in the house, but sometimes, I try to remember to buy a small box of Carnation just for crunchier light crusts. I like it best used in my pizza dough.

Strange but true. It makes biscuits have a lighter crust to them, and waffles and muffins too. I love that first bite with a light little crunch then the soft tender rest of whatever it is.

I don't know why powdered milk does it, but it does!

o

Here is a list of additives and how they behave in bread. Skim milk powder is here. Wonder if the effects are similar in quick breads like waffles, etc.

I have also used part whole wheat per Lou's recipe at his suggestion. More crunch!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bread Additives

o

Here's the best waffle recipe I've ever tasted. I love it because you have to make them the night before, when my mind is firing better than ''the morning of'' and it seems to work better for me. The raised waffles with yeast taste like the old-fashioned waffles you always wanted when you think of Ultimate! I've made these Belgium style or thin and crispy. Either way, they're delicious. The recipe comes from Cook's Illustrated.

Raised Yeasted Waffles

Makes about seven 7-inch round
Or four 9-inch square waffles

The batter must be made 12 to 24 hours in advance. These waffles are quite rich; buttering them before eating is not compulsory and, to some, may even be superfluous.

1 cups whole, lowfat or skim milk
8 T. unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1 t. instant yeast
2 large eggs
1 t. vanilla extract

Heat the milk and butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat until butter is melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Cool milk/butter mixture until warm to touch. Meanwhile, whisk flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in large bowl to combine. Gradually whisk warm milk/butter mixture into flour mixture; continue to whisk until batter is smooth. In small bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla until combined, then add egg mixture to batter and whisk until incorporated. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula, cover bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 12 and up to 24 hours.

Heat waffle iron (until the light goes out). Remove waffle batter from refrigerator when waffle iron is hot. (Batter will be foamy and doubled in size.) Whisk batter to recombine (batter will deflate.) Bake waffles using about cup batter for 7-inch round iron, and about 1 cup for 9-inch square iron. (Waffles will be done in about 2 minutes. Bottom browns faster than the top. Do not overcook!) Serve waffles immediately or hold in low temperature warming drawer.

o

About those yeast waffles: can you use regular yeast? I don't have any of the instant on hand.

o

No matter what recipe you use, immediately after you remove them from the waffle iron place them directly on your oven rack with the oven set to warm or up to 200 degrees. This will make the outside crisp and keep them warm while making more.

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

Our Favorite Belgian Waffles

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil (works well with 1/3 cup)
1 3/4 cups flour (may replace 3/4 cup with whole wheat)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 1 tablespoon vanilla teaspoon salt

Lightly brush grids with oil and preheat waffle iron. In a small bowl with an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; set aside. In a large bowl beat egg yolks until thick and lemon color. Switch to a hand whisk and whisk in milk and oil until well combined and add dry ingredients until smooth. Using the whisk, fold in beaten egg whites along with vanilla. Ladle onto iron and cook until waffle steaming stops, according to waffle iron instructions. Keep warm and crisp: Set oven to warm, place waffles directly on oven rack. Makes 6 large waffles.

Marilyn

o

Sorry Ladies:
I've tried everything since the 60's and have finally found,the one.
I'm not going to change or experiment any more.

I do this with every recipe, until I have the right thing for me.

If you don't try to better things and say, like me, this is the Best.
Then your mind is paralyzed. Although, I might try different things.

Right now my mind is Waffle paralyzed and Pizza Paralyzed.
But I am still trying differenti idea's.
LOU

o

Barnmom, I use the yeast for my bread machine, which I believe is regular yeast.

o

Maybe this is just me, but somehow I can't think that hotel are actually whipping their own egg whites for the big container of batter they have out next to the machine for those continental breakfasts... I would love to get into waffles, and might consider a waffle iron, but just can't imagine myself whipping up the egg whites every time I want waffles... Does anyone have a tasty waffle that doesn't involve the whipped whites?

o

I second third and fourth Clair de luna on the yeasted waffle recipe. Best of all you make the batter the night before.

My family LOVES them. Also, it's a good tip to put them in the oven to keep them from getting soggy.

o

Em, when I make waffles, I make a bunch and freeze them between layers of paper towels. We like them better from the toaster then freshly made.

But if you must...

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy waffles.

o

Heidi:
This is what they looka lika !

Fearless:
How did you get that handle. You're afraid to whip egg whites ?????

I wouldn't want to do that every time either.

That's why I freeze them !!!!!!! Guess no one read my recipe all the way.

Damn : I'm really missing out, on all the goodies.
Think I'll throw mine out.
And ride around the country trying all of these great Waffles !!!
LOU

o

Here's another vote for yeast raised waffles - my recipe is a little different.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Raised Waffles

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup warm water (105 to 110 degrees)
1 package dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups milk -- warmed (105 to 110 degrees)
1/2 cup unsalted butter -- (1 stick) melted
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs

Use a large mixing bowl.Batter will rise to double its original volume.Put water in mixing bowl & sprinkle in the yeast.Let stand to dissolve for 5 mins.

Add the milk, butter,salt,sugar & flour to the yeast mixture & beat beat until smooth.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand overnight at room temperature.

Just before cooking the waffles, beat in the eggs, add the baking soda and stir until well mixed. The batter should be very thin. Pour about 1/2 c. to 3/4 c batter into a very hot, oiled waffle iron. Bake until they are golden and crisp.

Source:
""The Breakfast Book" Marion Cunningham"
Yield:
"10 waffles"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

o

This is the family standby, from ye olde 1973 Pillsbury cookbook - second cookbook I ever owned. The buttermilk and egg whites makes them light and the butter makes them crispy.

Buttermilk Waffles

2 eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter

Stir together dry ingredients. Beat buttermilk and egg yolks together. Mix dry ingredients with buttermilk and egg yolks. Stir in melted butter. Whip egg whites to soft peaks and fold in to batter. Bake in waffle iron.

o

Here is my waffle recipe, which uses a higher proportion of egg than most recipes. Also, I use cream for part of the liquid and only use melted butter - no vegetable oil. I seldom make these any more because of the fat content, but they definitely melt in your mouth.

I've tried the yeast recipes and didn't like them as much - the same with the ones with separated eggs (although those were very fluffy). The addition of cream did more to improve the flavor and texture than anything else.

Lars

o

fearlessem,
Yep, and even though it might be sacrilege, they come from Aunt Jemima waffle mix box. I'm not kidding. I do use the flippin' waffle iron, though. :)

o

Was it Country Inn, or something like that? We stayed at one this summer by the mall of America, and we had to buy one of those flip waffle irons, couldn't wait to get home to buy it either. It took some imagination, like putting the flip flops and dirty clothes around the spare tire, to make room for the waffle iron in the trunk of the Hyundai Accent.

Don't stop at the waffles recipes, how about the strawberries?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here